“Dinner at Angus and Ale”
Review of Angus & Ale

Angus & Ale
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I was disappointed in this restaurant's food. My shrimp was just ok, my baked potato was like over cooked in a microwave. The coleslaw was really not very good at all.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

This is a local hangout that has menus all over town. We decided to try it, and were very disappointed. It is crowded and noisy, and the staff spends quite a bit of time talking to the locals they know, while out of towners sit waiting.
I got the ribs and wings, and their BBQ sauce has a ton of onions, which I am allergic to. After informing the staff, and taking over 80% of my meal away, we were still charged over HALF for the few wings, and less than half the fries, as a majority of the fries had BBQ sauce on them.
The other meal was fine, but it left us both sad as we dined, and tried to celebrate a special event.

tom l, Owner at Angus & Ale, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

As you mentioned we are a local favorite. We do not advertise and do not have signage to speak of. We do very well through word of mouth advertising due to the amount of locals who dine with us on a weekly and some even a daily basis. That being said we are known for great food and a great value, but more importantly for how much we care about the satisfaction of each and every guest.
I apologize about any noise issue but the fact that we were busy and noisy, due to that business, is just a good example that we have a very nice loyal following who dine with us on a regular basis. these guests will get some extra attention(wile not avoiding others) on a personal level from our servers as they dine with us several times a week and are well known to us on a personal level. I see this a a positive thing for our establishment. All of our servers care not only how our guests enjoy their meal but how they are doing outside as well.
I would like to start by stating our policy on food related problems. If a guest of ours does not eat their food due to something we have done or even if they just do not like it due to a difference in taste. they will not be charged for what they do not like and will be charged only for the portion of the meal which was not effected (such as you did not like your sauce but salad and vegetable were fine. The item served with sauce would be removed) They will immediately be offered a substitute meal or a freshly prepared meal.
I was present the night of your visit and so am familiar with this incident. Had you alerted your server to your onion allergy prior to ordering they would have recommended something else for you. Being unaware they reacted correctly in offering you a substitute meal when you did not want your sauce. When you refuse the replacement meal we removed the ribs from your bill and charged you for the edible portion of your meal including the fries. Fresh fries would have been provided to you if you informed your server of your concern they may have had sauce on them. That being said the other person with you informed the server they enjoyed their meal. So I am confused with the low rating based only on your "onion incident"
We go to every possible step to ensure peoples satisfaction and I believe we acted responsibly however we can not make you happy if you don't let us know what is needed to do so. Had you been clear perhaps we could have salvaged the evening for you.
We find that most negative reviews could have easily been resolved with open dialog with servers and or managers. too often though people spend their hard earned money and go home dissatisfied when they only needed to speak up. Mistakes will happen everywhere, but we will, and most independent restaurants as well, will go to extremes to ensure your satisfaction if given the chance.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

You'll get mixed reviews from my group of friends who ate dinner here recently. Obviously, I ordered wrong with the half-rack of ribs. Although the sauce was delicious, 90% of my meals was fat and ended up on the side of my plate. I mentioned this to the waitress (it was obvious I had a plate full of fat) and she was unfazed. No apology or offer of an alternative. The rest of our party had burgers and salads and they were quite pleased with their meals. The price was quite reasonable.

My next statement is going to sound a little strange, but there were laminated sheets on the tables with games you could play while waiting for your meal. We had a good time occupying ourselves until we had all but one answer to one of the quizzes. All but one. And not one waitress or staffer or hostess or cashier knew what the answer was or how we could find out what it was. This drove us all crazy for the next 48 hours in Berkeley Springs. It's still driving us crazy. My suggestion is that they print the answers to that quiz SOMEWHERE either you or the staff can find it so it doesn't drive customers insane.

1  Thank Susan S
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We had dinner our first night in Berkeley Springs because we were staying at the Best Western. Very friendly pricing! The fried clams and burgers were excellent, the blackened chicken salad was average and the crab and spinach dip was not so good. We saw the table next to us getting steaks and BBQ and they all looked great. That was probably the way to go.

Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is located next to The Best Western. We had dinner here and found it to be quite good. I had steak and my wife had the grilled chicken salad. Menu prices were very reasonable.