“Nice facility, OK Massage”
Review of Atasia Spa

Atasia Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Atasia Spa is a full-service spa located in the middle of West Virginia's Town of Bath, one block from the Berkeley Springs State Park. Known for its spas, Berkeley Springs has many fine restaurants, B&Bs, hotels and shopping establishments - within walking distance of Atasia Spa.
Reviewed January 29, 2014

On Saturday, January 18 two friends and I each did a package we created: Steam, Whirlpool & Massage.

Steam: We had 15 minutes (timed) in their steam room. A small tiled room with an immense amount of steam. I've been to MANY spas and this was the MOST steam I've ever experienced. Initially I thought it might be too much, but it wasn't it was AMAZING. It was a great way to start our relaxing afternoon.

Whirlpool: This was a new one for me. We each had our own Whirlpool tub, in our own room to ourselves. It was great. Enya playing on the sound system. 15 minutes (also carefully timed) in a hot bubbling tub was GREAT after being in steam.

Massage: I go to a spa in Manhattan once a month and therefore I REALLY LOVE deep tissue massage. My friends frequently go to SpaWorld in the NoVA area. Atasia has it documented in their materials that they do not give deep tissue massages. So... for that reason, I give you a 4 out of 5 on TA.

Overall we really enjoyed our visit. The spa is clean, a nice atmosphere (steam & Whirlpool are on the first floor; massages on the second floor where there are a few quiet seated areas to relax before your massage), the staff is friendly & caring. Their robes are fantastic (not those thin waffle robes that are common at spas - these were microfiber lined - SO NICE)!!!

The locker room is a bit small, but not bad.

TIP: spa etiquette: get dressed and move on to a space where you can chitchat... maybe that's me and my DC/NYC experience... Yes, it's fun to be with friends/family but come on... there are other people in the space - move it. I've been to AMAZING SPAs across the US that are HUGE and cost 3 times as much... go there if you want to socialize while getting dressed and putting on your makeup (in fact one spa had a quiet room and a social room where you could dress & put on makeup). Plus... the reality is the other patrons don't want to hear your stories... we are here to relax - hearing about your partner, kids, family, work, whatever... does not make our experience pleasurable... That's not the spa's fault...that's a rude patron...

Maybe Atasia could put up signs in the locker room: "Please respect the peace and quiet of others enjoying this relaxing environment."

1  Thank HappyHikerGirl
ruger45shots, Guest Relations Manager at Atasia Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Thanks so much for choosing our spa and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is important to us as well as others planning a visit to the area. We appreciate you noticing the care we take in keeping our spa clean and the quality of services we provide; it is what we strive to deliver. We value your comments and your suggestion has been forwarded to our management team. We hope to see you again in the future!

All reviews
"my sister"
"eucalyptus steam"
"mani pedi"
in 5 reviews
"looking forward to my next visit"
"foot reflexology"
"deep tissue"
"visit berkeley"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed January 14, 2014

I live in the Washington DC area and have been going to Berkeley Springs for a girlfriend spa weekend for 7 years. We have considered other towns, but Atasia Spa is the main reason we return to Berkeley Springs year after year. The outside looks like an older home, but inside is comfortable, clean and eclectic. After Becky, the friendly receptionist, checks you in, the bath attendant takes you to one of their changing areas and gives you a locker, key, flip flops and robe. The robes are fantastic, soft and fluffy.

I like that the house has been renovated into a spa, but you can still tell it was a house. It is just more fun and cozy that way. I've found that the other clients at the spa are quiet and respectful of the fact that other people are having services (unlike some spas I've been to in DC where people are on phones and disturbing the peace). The rooms where you rest have papasan chairs, couches, local spring water, quiet music and dim light. Resting in those rooms might be my favorite part.

Usually, I start with the steam room and then have a massage and facial. (There is a discount if you get 3 services, but prices are reasonable even without the discount.) This year I started with the steam room, then had an herbal wrap. Jeannie did the wrap. It was a nice way to quiet my mind before having other services. Theresa did my massage, and I have had other masseuses in the past. All are good and you should speak up to tell them what you want. I prefer a 90 minute massage, because it is 10 times more relaxing than a shorter massage. The stone massage is particularly good.

This year Sydney gave me a Rejuvenating Facial. It includes massage for the hands, feet and shoulders. She did a great job and gave me a list of products she used, but did not do any hard sell (again, some DC facials involve a long sales pitch). My friends agreed my skin was glowing and fresh after. One friend bought some products because she liked them, and it was nice that it was a choice made without any pushing.

All the people providing services at the salon are nice, local, and follow the same process for each service... greeting, pointing out where to hang your robe, telling you which way to face on the table, leaving the room for you to dress, and knocking before entering. Then after your treatment they leave the room and wait outside with Berkeley Springs spring water. I like that everyone has the same system, it makes it more comfortable and predictable. You don't have to carry money around for tips, there are envelopes at reception you can use on the way out. Another note is even though I was there with just girlfriends, there are always men there so it would be comfortable for couples too.

We stayed at Atasia Spa all day, from 10:00-4:00, and I spent under $250. It was an amazing spa experience for such a low price. Really worth the 2 hour drive from DC for a getaway weekend.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Atasia Spa has been our favorite spa since we started going to Berkeley Springs in 2002! My husband agrees...we wouldn't go anywhere else in Berkeley Springs, WV! Frankie Tan is a master at what he does and all of the other massage therapists are above average at what they do. Love the "quiet room & relaxation areas" and also the changing/shower room is always clean and neat. Prices are more than fair and we can't praise it enough!

Reviewed November 18, 2013

My partner and I came here for a few hours of pampering and that's what we got. We got there at 8 AM and didn't leave until 11. The greeting was very welcoming. We were escorted to lockers. He didn't feel comfortable with securing his belongings but he's a retired police officer so nothing is secured enough for him. I assured him his belongings will be fine. We sat in the whirlpool for about 15 minutes. When the timer went off we walked upstairs and waited for our massages. We each had an hour massage and were then seated in the Serenity area. I was dozing off while I waited to be called for my next treatment. He was scheduled for an hour foot massage, so he went one way and I went another. I sat in the sauna for about 15 minutes until I couldn't take it anymore then I went upstairs with Lisa for a full body wrap. I don't know if it was my imagination but I felt the toxins being released. Overall, everyone we encountered were great and I would definitely return. We drove up from Baltimore but stayed in Hagerstown overnight. It's about a 30 minute drive from there. After a day of relaxation we headed to Rocky Gap casino, which is 30 minutes from the spa and lost our money. Well worth it.