“Nice Spa Treatment”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Atasia Spa

Atasia Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Atasia Spa is a full-service spa located in the middle of West Virginia's Town of Bath, one block from the Berkeley Springs State Park. Known for its spas, Berkeley Springs has many fine restaurants, B&Bs, hotels and shopping establishments - within walking distance of Atasia Spa.
Hunt Valley, Maryland
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Nice Spa Treatment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Good value spa treatment. The Pampered foot and hand treatment was excellent but the massage waqs very average. Very clean spa.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Jim S

Fredericksburg, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Excellent spa, but that also depends on what service you get”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I went to Atasia for the day to have the eucalyptus herbal steam & wrap, the whirl pool, a 90-minute Frankie Tan massage, and a spa pedicure. This lasted about five hours. It was leisurely paced and I never once felt rushed. The front desk attendant always had a smile on her face and was helpful with my initial questions about tipping, etc (bring cash, and if you're having multiple services, they will divide your cash out among each spa attendant according to price). I was then led to a tranquil changing room where I secured my clothes and purse in a private locker, then changed into a luxurious spa robe and simple rubber flip flops.

Atasia is a *huge* spa - you wouldn't know by looking at it from the outside. Occasionally I got lost. The decor is well thought out. Pale blue walls, peaceful fountains, spa music softly playing from the wall speakers in the hallways and every room, and plush chairs for waiting between sessions.

Here is a breakdown of my experience which each service, in the order completed.

EUCALYPTUS STEAM & WRAP: The steam room is overwhelming and I don't recommend it if you're claustrophobic. Be sure you drink the cup of water offered to you beforehand, since you'll be sweating profusely. Before entering, you disrobe and wrap yourself in a towel. I recommend that you also put on the shower cap they have available to keep your hair from getting soaked (if your hair is long, bring a hair tie to make this easier).

Once you step into the private steam room, you sit on the tile wall bench and watch as the room goes completely white. You cannot see anything other than white, and you can't really hear anything going on except for the sound of the steam machine. Again, if you're claustrophobic, this make freak you out. I was perturbed at first by the intensity of the steam - if I breathed in using my mouth I'd cough, so I had to be careful to only breathe in through my nose. Eventually I adjusted to it. After ten minutes, the steam machine shuts off and you sit there for another ten minutes or so while you continue to sweat and inhale the eucalyptus steam. It's a nice, subtle aroma and I felt like my sinuses had cleared out when I was done. I felt very relaxed and pampered. By the time the steam is done, you can see your surroundings again. I toweled off, stepped into my robe and was taken to the herbal wrap room.

The herbal wrap was okay. I say okay because Atasia bills it as including a head massage, but... eh. The aesthetician was sweet and did a nice job of wrapping me in the hot, herb-soaked towels (they respect your modesty during the wrap process by keeping you partially covered by a clean sheet). When she began massaging some fragrant moisturizers on my face I started to feel "zen." Unfortunately, the brief but pleasant facial massage turned into a half-hearted, limp-wristed "scalp massage" that lasted all of maybe twenty seconds. I could not believe how poorly executed the massage was. Maybe she was not trained in massage? A little training could go a long way, here. HUGE disappointment.

After the wrap/massage is complete, they wrap you in an additional plastic sheet to keep you insulated. I know it's a joke in poor taste but I felt like I was in a body bag. The aesthetician leaves the room and you lay there for twenty minutes just soaking up the herbs. This was nice but I did feel a bit antsy to get out at one point... maybe that's just me.

WHIRLPOOL: I was scheduled to wait 30 minutes in the "serenity room" between my wrap and the whirlpool, but they were able to get me in immediately and gave me an extra ten minutes (no additional charge!) in the whirlpool. I enjoyed this immensely. You get a small, private room with a whirlpool bath big enough to comfortably accomodate two people. The water is very hot (it didn't "shock" my skin that much since I'd just come from the hot steam/wrap) and I spent the whole time dreamily zoning out. Yes, it's technically "tap water," but the town of Berkeley Spring's tap water comes directly from the hot springs. When you bathe in Atasia's whirlpool, you are bathing in the hot springs!

90-MINUTE FRANKIE TAN MASSAGE: Highly recommended, but not if you're new to (or skittish about) massages. If this had been my first time at the rodeo I would have freaked out. Worth noting: I probably had a more intense experience than most because I asked for very firm pressure. Also beware if you are not comfortable with your glutes or lower chest/solarplexus (not the breasts, but around/in-between) being intensely massaged. Or just ask that he avoid those areas. He is very professional and accommodating. However, I think I should point this out to potential customers since most massages I've had in the past didn't focus on those areas that much, and it may take some people by surprise.

Frankie Tan's massage seems to be a combination of traditional/Swedish, reiki, thai yoga, reflexology and hot stone. It begins with reflexology and Swedish-style massage of the feet and works up the legs. The thai yoga elements include a lot of leg/joint yanking and pulling, which feels good and is actually less intense than some of the other techniques I encountered during the session. He was working hard - again, I asked for firm pressure, but he went out of his way to break up the tense fascia in my legs, arms and spine by massaging repetitively against the grain of the muscle. It borders on pain, but it's a pleasure pain that results in relaxed, rag-doll muscles.

At the end he asks you to leave the massage table and sit upright on a chair, with a pillow in your lap for comfort. He then works the shoulder, neck and upper back muscles with great force - hot oil and steaming hot stones. This was the part that really broke up all that tight, tense fascia in my back, and I was sore the next day. I know being sore after a massage isn't ideal, but I think this soreness speaks to how effective the massage was in undoing the tension that had been holding my muscles captive for so long. I'm sure that over time, this type of massage would be very preventative.

Following the massage I was given a cup of water and spent about 30 minutes by myself in the serenity room, where I almost fell asleep.

PEDICURE: Sherry was the nail technician who did my pedicure, and she was great. So friendly and down to earth. I could tell when she was massaging my feet and legs that she was very conscious of what she was doing, and put a lot of care into it. It was so relaxing. She also did a good job of not tickling my feet - that tends to be a problem for me during the exfoliation. I had my choice of different salt scrubs. The pumpkin scrub (seasonal for the fall) was exquisite. Sherry was also very precise with the polish. My toes looked great and were quite happy!

Over all, a very luxurious, pampering experience that left me feeling renewed. There were some things that needed improvement (mostly just the scalp massage during the herbal steam/wrap) but otherwise I'd recommend Atasia.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank nightrecordings
Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The services are good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

You have not lived until you have had a massage from Frankie Tan! Also, the baths are very clean and private, the temp was just right!

Visited July 2012
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Pampering at a great price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

My boyfriend and I were in Berkeley Springs for a birthday weekend getaway. My birthday gift was the Atasian vacation spa package. The services were all great and my favorites were the whirlpool soak and the facial (Cindy is amazing!). The spa is beautiful, clean and a lot bigger than it looks from the outside. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. Everything was organized and I moved from one service to the next with ease. Everyone was exceptionally friendly and professional. I left there a big smilly blob of pampered relaxation. This will definitely be a part of my weekend the next time we make a weekend getaway to Berkeley Springs.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Purpose73
Reston
“Great massage”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

My friend and I both got massages and both felt they were some of the best we've had. Looking forward to going back

Visited June 2012