“the most relaxing massage ive ever had”
Review of Atasia Spa

Atasia Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Atasia Spa is a full-service spa located in the middle of West Virginia's Town of Bath, one block from the Berkeley Springs State Park. Known for its spas, Berkeley Springs has many fine restaurants, B&Bs, hotels and shopping establishments - within walking distance of Atasia Spa.
wheeling
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“the most relaxing massage ive ever had”
Reviewed June 18, 2011

I have been going to Atasia spa for over 10yrs now and theres no place else in the world like it. Everyone is wonderful and smiling. As soon as you walk in the world seems to disapear and every service will melt your worries away. When I need to relax or to take away the tension in my neck and back thats the only place I travel too (on purpose) to have Frankie Tan (owner) and his staff melt away the pain and stress. Definatly a must do when you visit Berkeley Springs.

Visited August 2010
1 Thank hensleynikkii

PIttsburgh, PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“So-So Spa Experience”
Reviewed February 17, 2009

My husband and I spent a day and a half at Berkeley Springs and I had a full morning of spa treatments - facial, massage, manicure, pedicure and mineral bath. My husband did not go with me, as he isn't much of a spa person. My first impression of the spa was that it was clean but very dated. The walls are painted a very pale pink and the carpeting (upstairs) was a dark blue. The furniture was dated and miss-matched and the décor was 1980's style. I had a long wait in-between each treatment, so I had plenty of time to observe! I think blues, greens or earth tones would make the ambiance more relaxing. But at least it was clean and comfortable! The main level was much better - with nice hardwood floors and clean/nice locker rooms. And the robes were wonderful.

Another thing I noticed (unlike other spas I've been to) was that many of the spa employees were dressed kind of sloppy. Sweatpants, old, stained clothes, etc. Some of them looked like they didn’t even shower or do their hair. But all of them were nice and professional.

First up was the facial. I've never had a facial before, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I did enjoy it a lot. I especially enjoyed the hand and foot treatments that were included. The esthetician was very quiet and gentle and made me feel very relaxed. I had pretty dry skin from the winter weather, and my face felt very hydrated and smooth for days after. The products used were by Dermalogica, which I've read positive reviews about.

Next up was the massage. I've had several massages (a few at Nemacolin, and at a few smaller day spas in Pittsburgh), and this was by far the worst massage I've ever had. The massage therapist kept talking the entire time about these organic oils she was using, telling me that the body absorbs them like food, etc…I just wanted peace and quiet! I laid on my stomach first so she could work on my back. She said she could tell I worked a desk job at a computer all day, because I had tension in my upper pack and shoulders. She "worked" those muscles very hard (painful!), then told me to flip over on my back. She spent more time massaging my arms and legs then she did my back/shoulders. I was hoping she'd go back to my back/neck/shoulders and finish with a "Swedish" style massage to relax my muscles, but she didn’t. I was very disappointed. I left sore and stayed sore for days after! I've had better massages at the express "chair massage" place down the street from my office (where you're fully clothed and pay by the minute).

Next was the mineral bath. I guess you are actually supposed to do this first so you can relax your muscles before your other treatments. But they got my schedule mixed up and had me do this third. I was told to try to keep the oils from the massage on for as long as possible (since my skin was very dry), but they came off in the mineral bath so my skin was dry once again. I don’t particularly enjoy sitting in a whirlpool tub by myself (and especially without a glass of wine and music!), so I could have gone without this treatment. I got bored fast. But the water was nice and the tub was very clean.

Last was my manicure and pedicure. The mani/pedi room is small and very dated also. Very limited choices for polish. I was the only customer in the room the entire time. The woman who did my pedicure took her time and did a wonderful job. A different girl (who looked to be about 20 years old) did my manicure, and it wasn't so great. She seemed to be in a rush (despite there being no other customers) and did not get all of my old polish off my nails. After painting them, she sprayed my nails with this hardening spray and left little "dents" in the polish. Then it took about 30 minutes to dry before I could leave. I think they need better polish (faster-drying) and a new nail dryer machine. Honestly, I think I do a better manicure on myself!

Overall, the spa was a nice experience. If I ever go back, I'd request a different massage therapist and skip the mineral bath and manicure. I'd like to try the sugar scrub also. I did see that they offer lunch in some of the bigger packages, which I should have done because I was starving after spending 4.5 hours there. Even a small snack while waiting between treatments would have been nice.

3 Thank lac213
Centreville, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“great massage”
Reviewed September 22, 2008

I'm not a spa guy, but my wife is a spa lover. We both enjoyed our massages and facials there. We did a 60 min swedish massage and a facial. We started off in a spa tub for 15 min with eachother and then we were off to get our massages and facials.

The massage was wonderful....I felt very relaxed afterwards. The facial was good i guess, but it was the first time i ever did one. It was refreshing to say the least.

My wife and I'd highly recommend this place.

3 Thank Phatsoundz
Reston, Virginia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 170 helpful votes
“Excellent Return Visit!”
Reviewed June 9, 2008

My wife and I take weekend getaways in Berkeley Springs a few times a year and we always include a visit to Atasia Spa in our plans. We each chose to do a package that included a steam & herbal wrap; a massage and a facial. This combination was - without a doubt - one of the most relaxing and refreshing spa experiences we have had! The massages given to me by Art are consistently first-rate. The staff at Atasia have a way of making you feel as if you are the only person being treated even when the place is full of customers. For us, a visit to Atasia is a necessary part of a trip to Berkeley Springs!

3 Thank RevLou
Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Nothing to write home about”
Reviewed February 25, 2008

My wife and I both signed up for 45 minute therapeutic massages, and upon finishing we were both left longing to feel relaxed. after 45 minutes of being worked on, no tension in our backs or shoulders was relieved.... we were just oily. My massage therapist spent more time re-arranging the blankets covering me than she did working on my muscles.
We both left very dis-satisfied and hope you can recieve a better experience wherever you end up going.

3 Thank Just_saying