“Funky, kid-friendly cafe”

Earth Dog Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 23, 2014

There's not much in restaurant choices in this sleepy little town. Earth Dog is very easy to find and has lots of parking in back. It's a very laid-back atmosphere with a small counter and a few tables in the front, more tables in the "middle room" and what appears to be an area for music or dancing beyond that. There's also an outdoor dining area that would have been nice but it was raining and closed when we visited. There were lots of young kids and a play area just for them in the back of the room so they could stay entertained while their parents ate. Between us four ladies we had the Green Bean App and it was very good - beans were crunchy and not drowning in oil. Two of the ladies in our group had burgers which are topped to order and they both gave high marks for theirs, served with crunchy homemade chips. I went for the 10-wings with bourbon barbecue sauce. They were huge wings with lots of meat and the sauce was delicious - messy, but delicious. I also had the potato bacon soup but it was pretty tasteless. Prices were reasonable. Bathrooms were small but clean and I'd rate their food better than average. They were definitely understaffed but I wouldn't say we waited an excessively long time. Like I said, you aren't going to find a lot of choices in this town, so Earth Dog is a good bet for decent food, as long as you don't mind the sound of children playing while you eat (none of us did).

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Long Blond braided waitress took really great care of us and the food was great! I walked from town ...only four blocks and met my friends. Very nice

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Best corned beef hash I have had in a long time. Great waitress too. They had a lot of signage around. Parking lot made us feel a little weird about leaving our car unattended.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

The best ribs, BBQ, Brisket etc. We were driving through this quaint town and were hungry. We were almost through town and were getting very hungry and out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of a BBQ sign. We backtracked and went into this quirky artsy restaurant and had the best BBQ ever. The staff was very friendly and homey. We even played a game of Othello while waiting for our food. The red skinned potato salad was awesome. The hand-cut french fries were fantastic too. Look it up before you go there though because you don't want to miss this place while driving through Berkley Springs, WV.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

This place is a wonderful find. It is easy to miss as you travel on the 522, but you will only regret passing this place. It features wonderful period décor, simple and fun, as well as very good food that comes in amazing portions. I had the “Three Little Pigs in a poke” or something like that, featuring a choice of three BBQ meats from the selection. I had pork, beef brisket, and beef ribs. They were all wonderful, moist and tender, and had just the right amount of sauce to flavor and compliment. My partner had a burger with home cut fries, and they were wonderful. For sides, we got fried green beans (lovely and fresh) and baked beans (flavorful, just the right size of beans to sauce ratio, and onions and hint of ham hock in the sauce). To drink we had, of course, sweet tea.

Highly recommend this if you want to soak in the local charm and ambiance.