“Good restaurant for Berkeley, fair restaurant overall.”
Review of Earth Dog Cafe

Earth Dog Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Gaithersburg, MD
“Good restaurant for Berkeley, fair restaurant overall.”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My wife and myself have eaten at Earth Dog many times. More often for breakfast, but also for lunch/dinner several times as well. Earth Dog has a menu with nice selections for both breakfast and dinner. I really like that they serve breakfast all day long. Its actually pretty hard to find places in this area that do that. They also have a few things on the menu that border on healthy which is also a rarity in this part of town. They actually have fruit available which alot of the diner style places in the area don't offer. I feel that the lunch/dinner food is better than the breakfast food on average. Their coffee is absolutely horrible (like mud) so this may be why I'm a little biased against breakfast.

A big issue with this place and most restaurants in the area is inconsistency of the food and service. Sometimes food is out quickly, other times its slow. Sometimes the food tastes great, other times its very average. Getting a waitress' attention can be a challenge at times as well. These issues are nothing unique to Earth Dog; they are issues with all the restaurants in the area but its why I can't give this restaurant a better rating.

As far as food goes, I recommend the following things: corn beef hash (for breakfast), BBQ ribs, and the Rueben sandwich. It's always a good thing to find someplace that makes a decent Rueben. Pricing and quantity of the food is both reasonable and fair.

Overall this isn't a bad place and it actually has a lot of potential in my opinion if they could just improve the consistency (and the coffee) it would really be a pretty enjoyable place and a a good value.

• Visited June 2011

Ranson, West Virginia
“Great food! But slooooooow service.”
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Have been to this place twice, and love the food! Both times got a veggie sandwich with spicy hummus, so full of flavor & delicious! I like the laidback 'earthy cafe' style of the decor & atmosphere, but both times I found the staff to be a little TOO laidback- VERY slow service- they certainly take their time, & with no apologies as they casually mosey & wander around whenever you do see them, like it's just to be expected, like they have no place to go, nothing to do, no one to check on, like it's just a part of the 'tone' of the place. And seems like they expect you to just go looking for them if you need something or otherwise they assume someone else has taken care of you, even if it's simply the basics of ordering your food or paying your check, much less you certainly shouldn't see them to check on drink refills or anything at all in between. And again, no apologies, just a manner from them like this is just how it works all the time & they have not a care in the world. Quite a strange table-waiting manner. My experience both times, with different staff, so clearly it wasn't just a one time off-day. But again, great food.

• Visited July 2010
Leesburg, Virginia
“Awesome ribs, great wings, good beer”
Reviewed May 15, 2011

We were surprised to find so many "upscale" places in this town, one of them claimed to be "upscale yet affordable", which really meant overpriced. We only had ribs and wings. They smoke their ribs, and the ribs were awesome. The wings as other reviewers noted were also pretty big and delicious. The beer selection on tap was decent, although not great. We were there on a Saturday night, and were sort of surprised to not see that many locals. Maybe something to do with local hillbillies listening to country music @ Troubadour Lounge (another place worth visiting, even if you're not into country music), while this place was rocking, or something to do with this place being relatively new. We also stopped by for breakfast on the way out of town, although they serve breakfast all day long. The place has three different areas for breakfast, lunch/dinner and a bar upstairs, so probably can visit any time. I believe they did close around midnight.

• Visited May 2011
Richmond, Virginia
“Okay”
Reviewed April 21, 2011

We were surprised to find so many pricey restaurants in Berkeley Springs, so Earthdog Cafe seemed to fit our budget a little better.

The food was quite average - not bad, but not incredible. I ended up ordering the chili (fantastic), pulled pork sandwich (very fatty), and homemade chips (good). My companion ordered the ribs (average) with fries (average). We didn't expect anything out of this world when two could eat for $20, but we certainly weren't blown away. Service was friendly and adequate, but not amazing.

The bathroom could have used a good cleaning...

If I'm back in town, next time I'll try Tari's Cafe, which I heard good things about. (Weren't thrilled with Panorama at the Peak either)

• Visited April 2011
Washington, DC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good barbeque, good portions, good service.”
Reviewed January 12, 2011

Earth dog is a good restaurant with good barbeque and friendly service. It gives off a "local" feel and it's just that - local. We're new (since June) weekend residents in Berkeley Springs and we like it for any meal when we're just in a mood for laid back local good food. Not designed to "wow" you, it offer consistent quality and service, and friendly service to all - local or not.

• Visited December 2010