We just returned from three nights at the Cacapon Resort State Park lodge. What a gorgeous, relaxing and inexpensive vacation this was! Located right over the Virginia state line in Berkeley Springs, WV, it is a very easy drive from the Washington, DC/Baltimore area. Deep in the woods, you will see tons of deer every day.
We stayed in the lodge, which is very old, but clean and comfortable. The staff is outstanding. Everyone from the front desk to the maids are very friendly and go out of their way to help you out. Yes, the rooms are small, but they are adequate. We were in Room 19 and had no trouble with hot water. It came on immediately and was plentiful. There are no hair dryers or refrigerators... just you, your beds, a table with two wooden chairs, a telephone, a nice flat panel TV, and your bathroom. However, if you are like us and don't spend a lot of time in your room, this shouldn't matter too much to you. We prefer to pay less for a room and use the money we save on other things.
We took advantage of many activities while visiting Cacapon. First, there's the wonderful swimming lake and white sand beach -- love it! Note it is NOT handicapped accessible (you have to come down an uneven, stone staircase to reach the beach). It is free for lodge or cabin guests, or costs a minimal fee if you just want to come swim for the day. There's a small snack bar, and paddle boats (only $3 per half hour!).
The nature center has some cool exhibits, and the rangers conduct nature programs all the time. These activities might be things like searching for evidence of animals from their droppings, tracks, etc., searching for critters in a creek, creating a plaster of paris mold of animal tracks, watching a medieval knight re-enactment (I think that was a special activity they don't normally do), etc. These programs are free. The only negative is that over by the nature center, there are millions of tiny nats that fly around the picnic areas. Wish there were some way to get away from them. They don't bite or sting, but they are highly annoying. Perhaps they go away during other seasons (we were there at the end of July).
My husband did some clay pidgeon shooting (extra fee), which he enjoyed. The instructor was very good and took a lot of time showing him what to do. We also took a horseback ride (extra fee), which was very nice. It is a simple trail ride made for beginners, and my almost 8-year old had no trouble. We drove 4 miles to see a gorgeous scenic overlook, which was lovely.
We also enjoyed the basement of the lodge, where they have ping-pong, shuffleboard, etc. There are also board games and puzzles for rainy days. We ate several meals at the lodge and found the food to be good and the prices reasonable. Their "Italian Buffet" Night had yummy meatballs, spaghetti with meat sauce, lasagna, salad, soup, garlic breadsticks, Italian-style green beans, and nice desserts, like Boston Creme Pie.
At twilight, we enjoyed rocking on the large rockers overlooking the golf course and panoramic vista with tons of deer. We even spotted the elusive white deer that some of the other guests told us about.
I'm sure the hiking is breathtaking, but we were unable to do that on this trip. We were not able to picnic, fish, or use the playground either, but I'm sure they are great.
We were told they are beginning construction on a new wing of the lodge this fall. It will have 80 rooms or so. They're also adding a swimming pool and other amenities. I think the whole renovation will take 2 years. They will probably go back and renovate the old rooms after they have built the new ones. I'm sure the upgraded rooms will cost more, so for now, I am content to pay a low nightly rate for the quaint rooms they currently have.
I was very pleased and will definitely be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cacapon Resort is a mountain lodge located in Cacapon State Park, named after its close proximity to Cacapon Mountain, the highest peak in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia. The four-season lodge provides easy access to outdoor recreation including hiking, beach swimming, fishing and the Robert Trent Jones, Sr. golf course. The lodge provides guests with a relaxing setting among scenic West Virginia landscape. The onsite guest lounge comes equipped with a TV, board games and fireplace, creating a cozy area for all seasons of the year. Cabins, cottages and bungalows rentals are also available. Cacapon Resort State Park Lodge is a nonsmoking facility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Cacapon Resort State Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cacapon Resort State Park Hotel Berkeley Springs
- Cacapon Hotel Berkeley Springs
- Cacapon Hotel State Park