Highlawn Inn
Best Western Berkeley Springs Inn(Berkeley Springs)(Great Value!)
$95
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs(Berkeley Springs)(Great Value!)
$120
Berkeley Springs Motel(Berkeley Springs)
$50
Cacapon Resort State Park(Berkeley Springs)(Great Value!)
$95
$134
$126
Travelocity
$65
All reviewsthe main housecarriage houseatasia spasilver serviceparlor roomseparate buildingbed and breakfastfriendly catscoffee blenddelicious coffeeguest houselittle girlhis shiftvalentines weekendwinter weekendolder homecorn pudding
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My adult daughter and I just spent three delightful days here. Sandy, the proprietor, is an amazing chef and baker. Her delicious breakfasts were a highlight of our trip. Our room was inviting, warm, and comfortable, just like home. Sandy's staff were gracious, friendly, and catered to our every need. Even the resident kitties were friendly! I highly recommend Highlawn Inn to anyone looking for a lovely place to come home to after exploring the town of Berkeley Springs.

Room Tip: Victorian Room in the main house has it's own porch. Clawfoot tub and lovely decor add to the charm.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have the same exact complaints as another reviewer concerning the Herb Garden Nook room that I stayed in. The bed was very uncomfortable because the mattress needs to be replaced. You could feel a dip in the middle of the bed so you would slowly slide into the "pit" during the night. It was very hard to go to sleep since I couldn't get into a comfortable position. The room and bathroom itself was adequate but it needs a little bit of TLC. The rocking chair was broken (which I was warned about) and the TV was a small 10 inch TV.

However, the staff was friendly and excellent. They advised us of where to eat and even got reservations for us. Breakfast was also very interesting. They cooked original recipes and I tried new breakfast dishes. Some I didn't like so much but was interesting to try. Also, there was free Wi-fi and the location was great! You were walking distance to the main street.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

First, the positive: we were treated very kindly and enjoyed everyone (staff and
guests) we met. The breakfasts were fine (& the coffee is fabulous).

My suggestions for our room (#5, the Herb Garden Nook): because the bed is a double, my guess is that this room is usually used by solo travelers. I'm guessing that because the mattress has a definite, pronounced "gully" on the side of the bed closest to the bedside table. (This is visible even before the bedcovers are pulled back.) Please consider a new mattress or at least turning the mattress that is there. Also, there are a number of areas where the wallpaper is peeling a bit at the seams, and some cracks, dents, small holes, etc., in the bathroom flooring. This room could use one comfy armchair: there is a wooden side chair, nice enough but not for extended reading, and an armless wicker-seat rocker on which the wicker seat has been completely destroyed (as in, it looks like someone put their foot through it; this has been covered by a cushion, but it's still not comfortable to sit on).

Given the high number of "loveliest B&B" comments in other reviews, I can only assume that our room is the exception to the rule. And, please note, none of the above issues made this an unpleasant stay for us - we were just expecting a bit more, based on reviews, and wanted to offer our hosts some constructive suggestions.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Delamom
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I flew to WV in Aug. to visit a couple old friends and the three of us stayed at the Highlawn Inn. I normally avoid Bed and Breakfast places, having had to share bathrooms, and hearing too much noise. However, my friend made the reservations here, and the three of us stayed in one room.

I was pleasantly surprised. Lovely place, well-maintained. Two of us slept in one king-sized bed which was very comfortable, and neither of us felt the other move during the night. My other friend slept on a roll-a-bed type thing, which she said was quite comfortable also. We had our own bathroom, and a nice table with chairs to sit at and drink tea, which was available in the dining room. The room was kept cool with a window air conditioner which was not noisy like some.

The breakfast rooms were well-decorated and pleasant. The breakfast was excellent, with some fresh fruit, freshly-baked muffins, and several other offerings, all very delicious. We had the opportunity to chat with the owner, who has had this B&B for 25-30 years. It was clear she loved what she does, and that was evident with the condition of the place, the attention to detail, and the nice little touches, like free tea, coffee, hot cocoa, and fresh water.

I highly recommend the Highlawn Inn B&B for a comfortable, enjoyable, quiet stay, and the nice personal touch.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CindyJ43
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is definitely the loveliest and best Bed and Breakfast I have ever stayed at. Sandy the Innkeeper and her staff are so welcoming and hospitable. Sandy makes a delicious breakfast in the morning for each guest. On the weekends she makes a large buffet including scrambled eggs, bacon, scones, and on Sundays makes crazy buttermilk biscuits. Breakfast is served in the large dining room. I stayed in the Garden Room in the Aunt Pearl's building just down the hill from the main inn.I had my own private entrance and my own little porch. It was so comfortable and relaxing. I would often sit out on the porch and read as well as sitting on the large porch on the main building. It is rare that a hotel/inn meets all my expectations. The Highlawn Inn met them and more. I will definitely be coming back, and now consider this the only place to stay while in Berkeley Springs.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo