“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Beckley
California
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

A friend booked this hotel for me last week and I was a bit nervous because I had never been to West Virginia and Holiday Inn is not at the top of my list when looking for accommodations but I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. The décor is very contemporary and welcoming. There is a really nice indoor pool, a restaurant in the facility and the staff was pretty decent. My room was very clean and I actually didn't have anything to complain about which is unusual. The only thing that would detour me from staying here again is the fact that I got sick while I was in the room itself and I believe it may have been from mold in the room or a dirty ac unit. Other than that everything was great and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

As usual, this hotel met my expectations. I have stayed here numerous times on my way South. The staff is always accommodating and friendly. I've had my family stay here and the staff has always managed to upgrade them if a room was available.
The restaurant is good and the wait staff is friendly.

I will continue to stop here. Thanks again for a nice stay.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Beaufort, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I read the Tripadvisor reviews before booking this hotel. The only negatives I could find were that the service could be a little lacking at times. Unfortunately, this was the case at check out. It seems that Stephanie Hall, the front desk person on duty, does not know how guests can immediately review hotel staff that give surly and unpleasant service. My husband and I needed to get on the road early so we planned on leaving the hotel at 7:00 am. We could have done so with a nice hot cup of coffee from the complimentary coffee bar that is directly across and in view of the front desk. Upon asking Stephanie, who was not waiting on other guests, she responded rather glumly, "In a minute" and then proceeded to straighten every paper and paper clip on the desk. She then shuffled over, got the one and only empty coffee carafe and disappeared. After waiting for 5 minutes, I walked to the kitchen and asked the nice and pleasant wait staff for coffee. They were very accommodating. I did view Stephanie leaning against a counter talking to some of the house keepers who were by the way both drinking hot steaming cups of coffee. After reviewing other guests comments, the management team needs to straighten out the front desk.

• 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Avos1
Chaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We stopped here for one night on our way from Minnesota to North Carolina. It is a very nice hotel - very modern lobby, clean rooms, and polite front desk staff. We ended up eating dinner in the restaurant and the options were a little expensive. The breakfast buffet was also pricey but it was well-stocked. For the price of this hotel, it would be nice to have breakfast included. We enjoyed the pool, which was a good temperature for the kids. Our beds were comfy. We would stay here again if coming through Beckley.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kelly S
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

Was not expecting much from this hotel being in a small town West Virginia but, I was pleasantly surprised. I was shocked to hear the building is 10 years old because it looks brand new. It is well taken care of inside and out. The front staff was friendly and the bar downstairs was clean and was serving local craft beer; a nice treat. My ONLY complaint is the lack of non-dairy milks at breakfast ie soy or almond. Its the little things like that for me garner 5 stars. Hopefully in the future that will considered....

Stayed July 2014
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

I have rated this hotel as "Poor" but an "Average" rating is also possible, since the rooms are fine and everything in the room works. The lobby is nice and the hotel has a decent location. Those are about the only kind words I have.

The front desk has some people who are just rude. They are so rude, they could work in New York City! These people we encountered were not friendly nor nice and I am a Platinum Member of Holiday Inn. This hotel is another one of those Holiday Inn properties that could care less if you are Platinum or someone that has never stayed at the Holiday Inn. There was a mangy dog out in front the desk clerks were clearly more interested in the dog than they were the guests. Guests come second or third with this front desk crew. I don't expect a lot anymore, but how about a Hi or Hello when checking in and then again, when coming and going through the front door ( in the main door right by the front desk) another greeting of hi or hello. I think every guest deserves a greeting of hi or hello when coming into the hotel, but not this crew. They just scowl at you.

As a Platinum member, I stay at a lot of Holiday Inn properties (ergo Platinum) and I don't think I have been treated more rudely than at that property in West Virginia. There were also a number of kids in the hotel and they made a lot of noise late at night ( 10 pm to 1 am) and the hotel didn't seem to care much about my complaints.

We were travelling with another couple and they were 2 rooms down from us and they too had a difficult time sleeping with the noise. We had breakfast in the hotel and the food was awful, I mean just awful. We didn't do the buffet but ordered off the menu and food and tea was just pathetic. Cold tea that was supposed to be hot and crappy gravy with the biscuits. I complained to the waitress about the tea water and she said "well, we started with boiling water in the crock"....so??? The water was still cold to luke warm when I drank it.

I conclude my reviews as to whether I would return to the place. I try to maintain my Platinum level every year and even with that goal, I think I would opt for a Marriott property. I am an Elite member there was well and given my experience at this hotel, I would have to say that I would not come back. There are too many other hotels in the area which have to offer much less attitude and the same level of quality rooms. The Holiday Inn just isn't worth the frustration to be treated rudely.

Thus, try a different hotel and I think you would be happier.

Room Tip: My advice is opt for a Marriott Property.
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank 678855
Jay W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Beckley, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear 678855,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum Member! I am quite disturbed by this and would like to hear from you personally. We are the number one ranked hotel on the exit and we didn't get there by treating people this way. Please reach out to me so I can resolve these issues for you. My email address is jwilliams@hliihotels.com and I hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks Again,

Jwilliams - GM
Clarksville, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

It's a Holiday Inn, not a Holiday Inn Express so don't expect a free breakfast. Price was high, but there are few choices in town that accommodate 5-6 people which inflates prices. The hotel itself is clean and the room was kept in good order over our five day stay. The indoor pool is larger than most hotels, so kids loved that. We had only two concerns: the outdoor lighting would shine in the room and the curtains would not close enough to block the light and there is only one treadmill in the fitness room which was frequently occupied.
Overall, this hotel was fine for our needs. We stayed in a two queen plus sofa bed room and it was large enough for five of us. There was a small refrigerator, a microwave and a sink between the 2 queens and the living area. There was an actual door to the room with the two queens. The bathroom was located between the two rooms. Both rooms had a TV.
The hotel had a restaurant, but we didn't eat there. This property is located near several restaurants including a Cracker Barrel and a Bob Evans. It is also near the Interstate and is easy to get to.

• 3 of 5 stars