“Not up to par”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Beckley
Pekin, Illinois
“Not up to par”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed one night here on our way to Virginia. We didn't have a reservation, and the gentleman who checked us in was nice and helpful. The location was also decent. Unfortunately, that's about as far as I can go in giving the place a positive review. No single aspect was horrible, but nothing was great. In general, everything from the cleanliness to the quality of the breakfast was just a bit under par. If we had paid less, that would have been one thing. But at nearly $100 (including tax), this hotel should have been better.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RON F, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Beckley, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
we appreciate your feedback, please come again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have traveled to Beckley, WV on several occasions and stayed a several different hotels. This was the best of them all. That being said, in any other town this would just be an average hotel. The hotel has been renovated with modern upgrades and the staff was competent. When I travel back to this area I will probably continue my search for a clean, good value hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
RON F, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Beckley, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
thanks for the kind review
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Old building with fresh paint, shiny new Baymont logo’s, but also with previous occupant’s hair in the showers… twice.
Burnt toast, and frustrated guests and staff appear to be the spirit of this place. Lower cost would be the justification, but I paid too much for this place.
We had to get a little pushy to get a room with a properly working and properly quiet AC unit. I resorted to washing away the leftover hair in the second room myself, rather than face the lady at the desk again, and also to avoid more complaints from my wife about this place. This was my first stay at a Baymont, and the chain may be ok, but this location appears to be suffering a little from local management shortcomings. The beds were clean and comfortable, and the furniture, TV, and bath vanity are nicely updated.
The breakfast area is fairly small, and is actually in the lobby area, just 10 feet in front of the front desk, and there is no lobby because of this. There is only three tables with four chairs, and three tables with two chairs. I found a bench to sit on outside.
The advertised “hot breakfast” does not include hot protein. Boiled eggs on ice, packets of peanut butter, Dannon-yogurt, and milk are the protein choices. A waffle iron with batter dispenser, toasters, and a microwave are what’s available for “hot breakfast”. This place’s “hot breakfast” should not be counted in the same league as Holiday Inn Express, and Hampton.

The long story details:
On our tenth day of vacation, we decided to lower our hotel cost a little at this place. We had been staying at very nice Holiday Inn’s, and fairly nice Ramada’s, Best Western’s and similar classed hotels for Hotwire rates between $90 and $150.
I’ve never stayed at a Baymont before, but I had counted it as a reputable chain, and I was surprised to hear my wife’s complaints about leftover hair on the shower of the first room, and the poor working, and noisy “old style” air conditioner.
We got in late that night, and we were tired, so I convinced her to let me wash away the unwanted hair in this first room, and we could just get by with the AC problem.
We pulled back sheets to check cleanliness there, and it seemed ok, but we could not get enough light in the room to really see.
Then we found the AC would not cool the room further, because it was a little cool outside, and this old unit had the mechanical type thermostat on it that would not turn far enough to chill the room as my wife likes.
We mentioned the hair issue, and the AC issue to the lady working the desk, and I would have expected some sort of apology, and to then be simply moved to another room. I was surprised when the lady working the desk came to the room, jiggled the AC controls to get them working, and said there you go… I’m not sure how long that will work, but it’s working now. She did not acknowledge our complaints about the leftover hair in the bath. I asked whether she did not have other rooms available, and she said that she did, then she left the room.
The AC unit buzzed and chugged and cooled for about 5 minutes, then shut off with the sound of its fan spinning in water. This reminded me of a nice water fall sound effect, but my wife was not impressed.
I smiled at my aggravated wife, and I tried to convince her that it wasn’t so bad. Jiggling the controls eventually got the AC to run for another 5 minutes, this time it was noisier while it was running, as the fan seemed to be blowing water constantly while running..
If my rent on this room was $30-$50, I’d say that’s par for the course, but with room taxes and fees landing between $90-$100, I decided it was better to face the woman at the desk, rather than sleep with an angry wife.
I kindly approached the desk, and I apologized to be a bother, and I stated that the AC only worked for about 5 minutes, and was quite noisy, and could we please move to another room. With no apologies, and no kind words, new keys were issued with a warning that we would have to move to a higher floor level.
My thank you’s for this kind re-accommodation were answered with silence.
I went straight to the new room to check it out. The AC unit was a new style with digital controls, nice…
But alas, the bath and shower had 10+ of the previous occupant’s leftover hair… I promptly washed that away, in order to gain peace, and I told my wife this room was fine…. :-)
Summary, the negative issues I experienced here probably root from property owners trying to make an old building keep pace with newer standards, and maybe weak management and training issues, and not from Baymont Inc, but I’ve never stayed at a Baymont before.

Room Tip: If you don't get this place for cheap, consider elsewhere.