“Superb staff, easy to find, but HVAC needs tweaking, pet fee exorbitant”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Beckley
Reviewed June 4, 2010

We'd reserved a "Suite" here months in advance, as a stopping place on our way back from a vacation @ OBX with our 2 dogs. It was super-easy to find, just off the interstate. Plenty of free parking, and there is a wide variety of restaurants nearby. (But there is no restaurant on site; the only food available is from vending machines or at the breakfast buffet included in the price of stay. So for those too travel-weary for anything but room-service dinner, you're outta luck.) Every staff person we encountered, from front-desk to laundry attendant, was very friendly and professional - they truly excel at making guests feel welcomed and appreciated. The hotel & rooms were spotless and welcoming, the sitting area of our "Suite" very comfortable. Everything was nicely stocked with good-quality name brands like Pantene shampoo/conditioner and Maxwell House coffees. Even the Guest Directory was a step above, filled with interesting facts about the surrounding area, culture, and even dialect. The breakfast buffet is one step up from Holiday Inn Express: a bounty of choices including make-your-own waffles and mini yogurt cups (Activia and Yoplait). But the hot food is brought in, reheated on-site. It's ok, but the "scrambled" eggs were flat, dense discs and the bacon was limp. We learned upon check-in that the hotel was sold out - there was a college commencement nearby and it also looked like there'd been an afternoon wedding reception that day -- and the noise level reflected that. The rooms were pretty well soundproofed from hall noise but there were rambunctious kids in the room above us who created some pretty loud stomping well into the evening. We had a "Suite" but it wasn't what I consider a true suite because there was no door between the sleeping area and sitting area. Just as well, though, because the HVAC in the sitting area made a terrific amount of fan noise but didn't produce any evident cooling no matter how low we turned the thermo. So we completely turned off the sitting-area AC and cranked the bedroom A/C until the sitting area became comfortable. That worked out perfectly and we were comfortable thru the night. The pools (an indoor heated one with a "swim-under" to an outdoor one) were nice, though crammed with happy, splashing kids so we didn't dip. The "Fitness Room" consists of just 2 treadmills + 2 TVs in a tiny, well-chilled locked room off the main corridor. The value was ok; the room price seemed a little bit high even before the dog fee was tacked on, but given that this was evidently a busy time that's to be expected. I have only 3 quibbles, and they're all about the dog-friendliness. While it's nice that they allow dogs, their fee is exorbitant: $30 a night?? Gads. And the dog-walking area is right in front of the hotel, alongside a busy 4-lane highway -- this was a panic-inducing arrangement when a knucklehead guest lost control of his badly-mannered Boxers who attacked one of our dogs, causing our other one to bolt away in sheer terror. And lastly, they have a pick-up-bag station but it was always out of bags. We brought our own so no problem, but c'mon for $30/night the least you could do is provide a couple plastic baggies. Perhaps they can't keep it stocked because some people take more than they actually need. Easy solution to that is to give every dog-owner guest his own reasonable supply upon check-in. But I digress... In summary, I'd probably stay here again when we make this trip in future, because of its location and convenience and superb staff. But if another dog-friendly option is located not far I would certainly consider it unless Country Inn lowers its fee.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 19, 2010

This was a TripAdvisor recommended hotel. A reservation was made a day ahead. Arriving into WV we stopped and picked up a coupon booklet at a rest stop. The price in the booklet was $10 less than what we reserved on-line. With 15 minutes to spare before the 6 PM deadline, the oin-line reservation was canceled via phone. 30 minutes later when we walked in the desk clerk granted the coupon discount with no hesitation. A casual remark was made to the desk clerk that it was a special ocassion for celebration for us. Returning later with our luggage through the lobby, the clerk said he had made an "error," and gave us a different room. What he actually had done was give us a free upgrade to a suite with a very large Jacuzzi!

The breakfast was outstanding. Two days later after our one night stay, I noticed I was missing my college gold class ring. I remembered I had left it on the bathroom vanity. I called the front desk from two states away and was quickly told, "We have your ring in the front desk safe." So you know the maids are honest. The ring was FedEx'ed to my home at County Inn's expense. I have offered to reimburse the hotel and have sent the maid a nice reward check.

For vaule, friendliness, cleanliness, and location, I give this place an A+.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2010

If you are looking for a nice place to stay with an indoor/outdoor pool (awesome for the kids) - this is the place. If you are not the fussiest eater who expects great things from a continental breakfast - this is a very nice breakfast with many options to choose from. Including scrambled eggs, bacon and make your own waffles. . . If you enjoy a nice place to stay and don't expect the world to be handled to you on a silver plater - this is the place for you. We will be back!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2010

I am at the Comfort Suites and was compelled to write this review. The guests must be at least 50% kids 16 and under. The first floor pool is very popular and results in children roaming the halls and the continuous sound of loud footsteps etc. I'm sure they are having a great time, I'm not. Be sure to get a room on a higher floor away from the central hotel area. Other then that the rooms and location are reasonably good. WiFi is fast.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 18, 2010

A huge snowstorm - I'm talking 20 inches - led my husband, puppy and I to have a weekend in Beckley. After sitting on top of a mountain in stopped traffic for 5 hours, we finally arrived at Country Inn and Suites who had guaranteed us a pet-friendly room ($30 one-time surcharge) that night. Unfortunately they didn't have a pet friendly room once we got there, but the first reason they were awesome is that they let us bring our dog in anyways. The second reason this hotel was awesome is because the staff, who was also stranded at their place of work due to the weather, made it a point to treat every guest nice and helped in all ways possible. Most wouldn't expect this out of someone who is stuck at there place of work and literally can't go home, but this staff was so nice and accommodating. Third, if you're stuck somewhere like we were, at least there is a Cracker Barrel literally next door you can walk to. There was also a convenience store/gas station.

In short, if you have to go to Beckley, this is a great place to stay and the staff is wonderful. Oh and it includes free wi-fi (always a plus) and a hot-cold breakfast all at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2010

VERY CLEAN, great location-about 15min north of winterplace ski resort, indoor/outdoor pool, outdoor jacuzzi open in the snow..comp breakfast and it looked great but I didn't eat.. ate breakfast at the Cracker Barrel which was at its backdoor! Near other food, and gas stations. About 15min from winterplace ski resort. Also friendly, courteous staff. I'm VERY PICKY and I give them a 4 star hotel rating!! Definately would stay again!

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 25, 2009

The staff was very friendly and the room was also very clean. I had a king suite and it was very roomy. It had a microwave, small sink, and small frig. Great location. Lots of restaurants to choose from. Tamarack is right next door. The free breakfast is great...eggs, bacon, sauage, waffles, hot and cold cerels, juices..... I was caught in the blizzard and got a lot of use out of the clean pool and exercise room.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business