“Excellent stay”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Beckley
Reviewed August 15, 2009

Great place to stay. Clean rooms. Very good breakfast - service, items as well as location. Friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,165)

Reviewed August 12, 2009

We had a wonderful stay and would highly recommend this hotel. Excellent customer service and outstanding room.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2009

We stayed at the Country Inns & Suites on our way to vacation and on our way home.
The Sunday night stay on the way was a very nice quiet stay. (AS REQUESTED)
They have a pretty nice breackfast buffett you can get pancakes, waffles, sausage along with the normal fast breakfast items. If you want to walk to the Cracker Barrel it is in the same parking lot we did this both times for our evening meal after we checked in.
And if you go out the back of the parking lot you can slip up to the Tamarack without hitting the main road. A great craft store but a bit hight in prices.

Our Saturday night stay on the way home was not as good. We were given a room near the main walkway since we had friends we met along our trip staying there too.
I think he was trying to be nice and keep us near each other but when I reserve a room I ASK for a quiet area so we can get some sleep with out all the noise from other people. I would have rather been kept where we had reserved than moved to be near the friends whom called the day we were going to arrive. (our plans were made months before so we could have a quiet room)

Then to top it off we had a room below small kids or monkeys since we never saw them not sure what they were other than noisy.
Lets just say the monkeys ran all the time and when they were not running they were jumping off the bed. I can tell you THEY got up at 6:15 Am as we did too because of the noise in our room from up above us.

The guy at the desk was very friendly and outgoing.

The outdoor pool was a large let down!!
That was the one thing I was really looking for when we booked this hotel since our son has Asthma he can NOT use the inside pool without having an Asthma attack,
The pool was one pool with a door over the large side for the inside and the very little part was outside. It was very croweded with more then 4 people in it, to give you an idea of the size. The kids wanted to go inside but we couldn't.
The teens that were there were running inside and outside all the time chasing each other thru the doors that divided the pool and under the wather too. This made it even worse with the small size of the outside pool.
The inside pool was very large and nice but I only got to use it after we came back on the way home because our son was sick and couldn't swim at all that day.

What a shame they didn't give more room to the outside pool!

The hot tubs were clean and powerful just great, but not as hot as many keep them set at.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2009

A friend and I were traveling through Beckley on a busy summer day and we tried three other hotels (all full) before we landed at Country Inn & Suites. We were lucky! The room was large, very clean, and even though the hotel was full, it was very quiet.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I paid 120 a nite aaa rate for a very average hotel. Thin towels, not the softest toilet paper, nothing special at all. I would not agree to pay this rate again for this kind of hotel. I don't feel that I got enough value for my money.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2009

My husband had to to travel to Beckley WV on business for two days. I went with him as did my elderly mother. We had a great time. We booked a suite which was very nice and large. Our room was clean and the beds good quality. The pool and hot tub were clean but crowded. The free breakfast was very good but again crowded. I loved this hotel, the staff was friendly, the food good, the room clean. t was relaxing, large enough for privacy. Easy access for my elderly mother to the room.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 27, 2009

This is our favorite place to stop halfway between Michigan and Florida. We've stayed multiple times and it's the best. Very comfortable, clean, large, well-run hotel. In addition, it is right behind TAMARACK - the art center of West Virginia with pottery,glass,wood,weaving,etc done by resident "Best of W.Va" artists. It's also home of a cafeteria with gourmet food prepared by chefs from Greenbriar Retreat - the pan-fried trout is pretty incredible. A great place to wander in and eat before retiring to the hotel. The hotel has very large rooms with nice amenities. In fact this time we noticed the bathrooms had been refurbished. You must call to confirm you want a "pet room" and there is a charge but we have always been given a first floor room right next to the exit where there is a designated place to walk the dogs and clean-up bags provided. Their staff is extremely well-trained & friendly. The lobby has a fireplace and pc/internet for guests. There is a large indoor pool and jacuzzi. The breakfast room is also large and the breakfast very good - eggs, sausage, lots of breads, juices, yogurt etc. In the evenings there is even a popcorn stand with free popcorn for guests. We arrived one weekend last Nov. and there was a junior high ski group in the hotel and my wife and I thought immediately it would be noisy and chaotic that night. Not so. They housed the kids upstairs away from other guests and had them eating in the banquet room in the morning. Other than noticing they were having a blast in the pool area, we didn't even notice they were there. That trick takes a good staff. Anyway - we will always stay here when taking 77 from Mich to Fla. We look forward to the predictable quality and art at Tamarack and the dogs know the way to their room by now.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple