“Excellent value will use again”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Beckley
Reviewed June 25, 2009

My husband had to to travel to Beckley WV on business for two days. I went with him as did my elderly mother. We had a great time. We booked a suite which was very nice and large. Our room was clean and the beds good quality. The pool and hot tub were clean but crowded. The free breakfast was very good but again crowded. I loved this hotel, the staff was friendly, the food good, the room clean. t was relaxing, large enough for privacy. Easy access for my elderly mother to the room.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed March 27, 2009

This is our favorite place to stop halfway between Michigan and Florida. We've stayed multiple times and it's the best. Very comfortable, clean, large, well-run hotel. In addition, it is right behind TAMARACK - the art center of West Virginia with pottery,glass,wood,weaving,etc done by resident "Best of W.Va" artists. It's also home of a cafeteria with gourmet food prepared by chefs from Greenbriar Retreat - the pan-fried trout is pretty incredible. A great place to wander in and eat before retiring to the hotel. The hotel has very large rooms with nice amenities. In fact this time we noticed the bathrooms had been refurbished. You must call to confirm you want a "pet room" and there is a charge but we have always been given a first floor room right next to the exit where there is a designated place to walk the dogs and clean-up bags provided. Their staff is extremely well-trained & friendly. The lobby has a fireplace and pc/internet for guests. There is a large indoor pool and jacuzzi. The breakfast room is also large and the breakfast very good - eggs, sausage, lots of breads, juices, yogurt etc. In the evenings there is even a popcorn stand with free popcorn for guests. We arrived one weekend last Nov. and there was a junior high ski group in the hotel and my wife and I thought immediately it would be noisy and chaotic that night. Not so. They housed the kids upstairs away from other guests and had them eating in the banquet room in the morning. Other than noticing they were having a blast in the pool area, we didn't even notice they were there. That trick takes a good staff. Anyway - we will always stay here when taking 77 from Mich to Fla. We look forward to the predictable quality and art at Tamarack and the dogs know the way to their room by now.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JAT51
Reviewed November 20, 2008

I stayed at this hotel on the last night of a longer, more extensive trip to West Virginia. I have to say, while I stayed at some pretty nice places in West Virginia, this one was the greatest sight for sore (tired) eyes.

Though it's part of a chain, it was very homey, very inn-like, very comfortable. The room was very well sized, the bed was comfortable and cozy, the overall comfort of the hotel was excellent, right down to the rocking chairs on the front veranda.

The complimentary breakfast bar is predictable with its choices but the food is freshly made and delicious. I am married to a southern man who takes great pride in his biscuits and gravy, but imagine his indignation when I told him the hotel's were better than his were! I walked out of the buffet satisfied and too full. The fare is cereal, biscuits, various sausages, scrambled eggs, several juices and milk, bagels, waffles and, of course, gravy and hot sauce on the tables. The buffet seats fill up quickly and early.

The staff were great! When I checked in, they all smiled, I was made to feel extremely welcome and it didn't stop at the desk. The following morning, when checking out, the smiles were still there and they all seemed genuinely glad to be of service.

Overall, it is a nice place to spend the night. The towels and the rooms are clean and comfortable, there wasn't a great deal of noise in the hallways in spite of there being either a family reunion or wedding in the hotel. I got one of the best night's rest I'd had in a long time.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank MojaveRattler
Reviewed September 5, 2008

I did not stay at the Country Inn & Suites, but had booked a room a family member. First, do not book a reservation on their site, it was the highest rate by over $40.00 a night and even though they stated "The best online rate... guaranteed!" Don't believe it. I used americanexpress.com and when my family checked in they wanted $15.00 more to change to a King bed, even though it was advertised on Orbitz.com for $5.00 less than my reservation on American Express (Country Inn =$131, American Express =$89, Orbitz =$84).

When I called them they were very polite but couldn't really do anything and I promised that I even though I was a new customer, I'd never stay with them again. I rarely call customer service and don't expect something for nothing, but the fact that they guarantee their price as the lowest and it's not even close...Just feels wrong, as if you have to be a persistent pain to truly get the lowest price.

Although my family stayed anyway, Country Inn has lost this customer and they had two chances to get it right.

Stayed: September 2008
4  Thank lulucat4
Reviewed August 9, 2008

This is a great hotel. Have stayed there three times. The pool has a wall that separates the inside from the outside. you can swim under it. It is unique and very cool. 2 hottubs. one inside and one outside. Arcade room, great breakfast area. It was under construction when I am writing this review. But if you are reading this months or years later the hotel will be done being renovated. When I was there the pool & hottub were dirty but hopefully they are clean now.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank sophiephph
Reviewed June 24, 2008

This place smelled weird, overcharged my card (two extra nights!), has rude staff, and disappointing complimentary breakfast. My bathroom door also did not lock. I can't believe how much I paid to stay in such a mediocre to below average hotel in Beckley. If you can go somewhere else, I definitely would.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Laura5758
Reviewed April 6, 2008

I stayed with my 65-lb. senior dog at this lovely hotel perched on a hilltop in Beckley. It was Charlie's first chance to stroll through the lobby of a hotel and he loved it. He was greeted graciously by the staff and the accomodations truly were pet-friendly without a lot of restrictions. The hotel was surrounded by plenty of nice spots to walk your pet. They offer an above-average continental breakfast and the staff is friendly and helpful, too. Close proximity to Tamarack, which is well worth a visit. I can recommend this hotel to those folks who are on the road with their dogs as one great place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family