“I'd stay there again!”

Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Beckley, WV
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Beckley
Reviewed November 20, 2008

I stayed at this hotel on the last night of a longer, more extensive trip to West Virginia. I have to say, while I stayed at some pretty nice places in West Virginia, this one was the greatest sight for sore (tired) eyes.

Though it's part of a chain, it was very homey, very inn-like, very comfortable. The room was very well sized, the bed was comfortable and cozy, the overall comfort of the hotel was excellent, right down to the rocking chairs on the front veranda.

The complimentary breakfast bar is predictable with its choices but the food is freshly made and delicious. I am married to a southern man who takes great pride in his biscuits and gravy, but imagine his indignation when I told him the hotel's were better than his were! I walked out of the buffet satisfied and too full. The fare is cereal, biscuits, various sausages, scrambled eggs, several juices and milk, bagels, waffles and, of course, gravy and hot sauce on the tables. The buffet seats fill up quickly and early.

The staff were great! When I checked in, they all smiled, I was made to feel extremely welcome and it didn't stop at the desk. The following morning, when checking out, the smiles were still there and they all seemed genuinely glad to be of service.

Overall, it is a nice place to spend the night. The towels and the rooms are clean and comfortable, there wasn't a great deal of noise in the hallways in spite of there being either a family reunion or wedding in the hotel. I got one of the best night's rest I'd had in a long time.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank MojaveRattler
Write a ReviewReviews (1,176)

Reviewed September 5, 2008

I did not stay at the Country Inn & Suites, but had booked a room a family member. First, do not book a reservation on their site, it was the highest rate by over $40.00 a night and even though they stated "The best online rate... guaranteed!" Don't believe it. I used americanexpress.com and when my family checked in they wanted $15.00 more to change to a King bed, even though it was advertised on Orbitz.com for $5.00 less than my reservation on American Express (Country Inn =$131, American Express =$89, Orbitz =$84).

When I called them they were very polite but couldn't really do anything and I promised that I even though I was a new customer, I'd never stay with them again. I rarely call customer service and don't expect something for nothing, but the fact that they guarantee their price as the lowest and it's not even close...Just feels wrong, as if you have to be a persistent pain to truly get the lowest price.

Although my family stayed anyway, Country Inn has lost this customer and they had two chances to get it right.

Stayed: September 2008
4  Thank lulucat4
Reviewed August 9, 2008

This is a great hotel. Have stayed there three times. The pool has a wall that separates the inside from the outside. you can swim under it. It is unique and very cool. 2 hottubs. one inside and one outside. Arcade room, great breakfast area. It was under construction when I am writing this review. But if you are reading this months or years later the hotel will be done being renovated. When I was there the pool & hottub were dirty but hopefully they are clean now.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank sophiephph
Reviewed June 24, 2008

This place smelled weird, overcharged my card (two extra nights!), has rude staff, and disappointing complimentary breakfast. My bathroom door also did not lock. I can't believe how much I paid to stay in such a mediocre to below average hotel in Beckley. If you can go somewhere else, I definitely would.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Laura5758
Reviewed April 6, 2008

I stayed with my 65-lb. senior dog at this lovely hotel perched on a hilltop in Beckley. It was Charlie's first chance to stroll through the lobby of a hotel and he loved it. He was greeted graciously by the staff and the accomodations truly were pet-friendly without a lot of restrictions. The hotel was surrounded by plenty of nice spots to walk your pet. They offer an above-average continental breakfast and the staff is friendly and helpful, too. Close proximity to Tamarack, which is well worth a visit. I can recommend this hotel to those folks who are on the road with their dogs as one great place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2008

I was very pleased with my recent stay at the Country Inn and Suites. The hotel has convenient access to the highway and many restaurants in the area. Check in and check out where easy. The people at the friend desk were very pleasant and friendly. The beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was large and had a walk-in shower with dual hand-held shower heads. My room was located close to the main lobby and elevators and I was afraid it would be noisy, but it wasn't at all. The free hotel breakfast may be the best I've ever seen. Every morning there was eggs, sausage, dry cereal, oatmeal, bagels, and make-it-yourself waffles. The swim under pool was very cool and several people swam outside in the 30 degree temps because the pool was heated. The 2 hot tubs weren't as hot as they could of been, but nice all the same. The pool area was very crowded in the evening, but there was still enough room for everyone. The hotel also provides towels in the pool area. Overall, this hotel was worth the money spent. I've never stayed at a Carson hotel before, but will return in the future.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2008

This hotel is clean and well maintained. The suites are great for families. The pool is heated and is fun for the kids to swim in the winter. (skiing and swimming in the same day is always fun). The breakfast bar (for regular guests) is pretty standard stuff - but includes make your own waffles. During both our stays there was no fresh fruit but at least had yougart for a healthy start.

The only downside is that this is a very popular place with teenager groups. They do feed them in a separate area, which is great. However, the pool will be packed everynight until it closes at 10 pm. The eating area/homey lobby will be loud until bed time. The rules for groups are that they need to be in their rooms at 10 and quiet time starts at 11. We didn't know this on our first stay and I finally called the front desk at midnight to get the kids upstairs to be quiet. They sent security up and it immediately got quiet. The second trip, I asked to be in a room away from any groups - but that's impossible because they are everywhere. So they told me the rules and fortunately we didn't even have to call the front desk.

So as long as you don't have very young children that need to be asleep early, it's a good choice for families.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank ScrapbookingLady1of3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beckley
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Beckley
Courtyard Beckley
Courtyard Beckley
#5 of 14 in Beckley
The Resort at Glade Springs

Been to Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Beckley, WV? Share your experiences!