“Alright but” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Beckley
Cedar Springs, Michigan
“Alright but”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a reunion. We have stayed here going on 4 or so years. This is a great hotel and have recently remodeled their foyer and breakfast area, which looks nice. This is a very large hotel. Has a great porch with chairs to sit and talk.

Being so big it is very busy. It is very difficult to find a chair at breakfast. Lots of foot traffic in and out.

The food was okay but not as good as other Country Suites I have stayed at. Would stay here but enjoyed the peace and quiet of the Princeton's Country Suites

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank redrn13
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for your honest opinion of the hotel. We are usually sold out every weekend, and it can be quite busy at times. Our popularity with the travels to Beckley is second to none and we work hard to make sure our guests are treated as individuals. I am sorry that you had some concerns, please feel free to contact me at 304-252-5100 or jsmith@hlihotels.com, I would love to earn a second chance. Thank you for the honest review.

Jerry D. Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Let me start by saying that the service at this hotel was top notch and you will not find a better place to stay in Beckley. I have stayed in a lot of Beckley hotels on our annual trips to NC from Ohio so I can say this with a lot of confidence. We normally try to stay cheap on our way down, but this time, with two kids and two tired parents, I just wanted a nice, clean hotel where we could get a suite so the baby could sleep separate from us without all of us having to go to bed at 7pm. This hotel isn't the cheapest in Beckley, but we more than got what we paid for.

Our check in was very easy and the front desk staff were eager to please. I had called the day before to ask if we could have a suite with a door that closed off the living area for the baby, and they told me that some of the suites did this and requested that I be put in one with a door, which we got. There were fresh cookies and the lobby was very welcoming and clean. Our room was spacious and while it was not yet updated (the chain appears to be updating all their rooms and hotels to be more modern), it was very clean and comfortable. The bed linens were wonderful and the beds were soft. The living area and the bedroom both had large flat-screen TVs and the toiletries provided in the bathroom were of nice quality (Pantene, Vaseline, Bath and Body Works brands). The room had a nice kitchenette with a fridge, nice coffee machine, and sink. We swam in the pool that evening, which was huge and both an indoor and outdoor pool-- again, very clean. There were two hot tubs, indoor and outdoor, and the indoor hot tub was so big it was like a pool. The pool area was large with a lot of tables and chairs and plenty of clean pool towels.

We had a comfortable and quiet night's sleep and the next morning went to the free continental breakfast. The breakfast area was huge with lots of tables and chairs. The selection was impressive-- honestly, the selection would rival a Bob Evans breakfast menu. There were many varieties of coffee, varieties of tea, different juices and milks, many cereals, oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, hot biscuits, sausage gravy, fried chicken and a homemade waffle machine, to name a few. The food was hot and delicious and the dining room was friendly with someone busing tables to keep clean ones available. The food was refreshed often and there was a nice big screen TV playing the news quietly. Our check-out was quick and easy and one of the best things about this hotel is the check-in and check-out times. Some hotels want you out by 10am, which is pretty much impossible with little ones and all their stuff, but here the check-out was not until 12pm (and check-in was available at 3pm-- early, in my opinion).

In the end, I believe we definitely got what we paid for and if you book through their website early, you can pre-pay for a 15% discount. It was worth the price difference to stay here versus some of the other Beckley hotels and I would absolutely stay here again. In fact, our stay was so great that I will go out of my way to stay at a Country Inn and Suites on our next vacation (and we are actually staying at a different one, equally nice, in a different part of West Virginia on our way home!). Great service, great rooms, great atmosphere.

Room Tip: The hotel has many suites but only some have a door that physically closes off the living area, so c...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What a very nice review of the hotel, thank you for the time in writing so a glowing recommendation. We really try hard to be a good value to a family and we are so pleased that we succeeded. Again thank you for the kind words, I will share your experience with my staff. Safe travels!

winter haven fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

We had a small but very nice suite at this hotel. We stayed here so we could see the New River Gorge and the exhibition coal mine. Staff is very attentive and takes care of your every need. The free breakfst was excellent! There is a good variety of selections that changes slightly every day. A staff of six, instead of the usual one, constantly brings out food and beverages and cleans tables.

The hotel resembles an old fasioned hotel with a large porch with rocking chairs in front.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kevin s
Thank you for taking the time to review the property. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and just wanted to say thank you for the kind words. I will pass on your accolades to the staff at our next employee luncheon, they will be pleased. Again, thank you and we look forward to your next visit.

Wv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

By far, an incredible looking place. The following complaints are all minor, but added up. Staff was great, but with the items below, I'd try another hotel next time.

Stayed in room 212. At 7:00 am, was awoken by what sounded like jackhammering on other side of wall. Since this was in a series of 5-10 minute intervals, I assume this was the drainpipes vibrating in the wall.

Breakfast seemed to close early at 10 am given that most of it was pre-prepared and not requiring active staffing.

Pool temp was not what I expected. Getting in the pool was a very slow, one step at a time process to acclimate to the temperature.

The "fitness room" was extremely small with only 1 treadmill, elliptical, and bike. No bench, free weights, or hardly room to move. Both me and my guest had planned to make use of the fitness facilities but passed when we saw them.

Refrigerator barely kept drinks cold. It was turned to max cool and yet I ended up throwing out food and drinks because I didn't feel they were cold enough to be consumable.

Ultimately, the place looked incredible and had very high potential. But I would seriously consider other hotels in the area on my next visit. This hotel should easily be the top in the area.

I did have an experience upon returning to the hotel at night where a stranger tried to scam me for money in the parking lot. The staff saw this and quickly notified security before I even got into the hotel. Security said they would approach the guy and ask him to leave.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review the facility. I am sorry that you had issues with your stay. Please contact me at jsmith@hlihotels.com or 304-252-5100 to discuss your concerns. Again, thank you for the review and I look forward to speaking with you,

Jerry D. Smith
SW County St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I agree with others who say this is the best accommodations in Beckley, WV. The service was excellent. The staff was very friendly and eager to please. The room and the bathroom was super clean. Beds were comfortable. Breakfast provided a good variety for everyone's taste. I definitely would choose this motel over others in which I have stayed in the past while visiting Beckley.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and thanks for such a positive review. The staff at this hotel is by far the best I have had in my 22 years managing hotels. They are so eager to please, and just a fine bunch of people to work beside. They give this property the personality of hospitality, like a home away from home. I can't stop raving about their talents, of course I am biased! lol Again, thanks for the review I will make sure and share your comments during our monthly employee luncheon.

Troy, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on our way to Myrtle Beach. The parking lot and grounds of the hotel are very clean and nicely landscaped. Check in was quick and the staff was very friendly. Our room was exceptionally clean and huge! What sets this hotel apart is the pool facility! As a travel agent, I travel extensively---and was impressed by the indoor/outdoor pool and very large hot tubs. The indoor pool connects to the outdoor pool by a "swim" under door. The pools and pool room are large with nice windows. Breakfast was very good with nice selections-eggs, waffles, chicken. We loved this hotel so much, we decided to stay again on the way home, and loved the king suite! It had a large living room, wet bar, and big bathroom. I can't wait to come back in the fall to see the foliage and the Gorge--and most of all, to stay at this awesome hotel! Keep up the good work hotel staff!

Room Tip: The king suite room was very nice!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wow, your review is so nice! Thank you, coming from a travel agent that is high praise, and we are so pleased to have received your review. The staff and I take pride in the property, they are a great bunch to work with, I owe all the success of the property to their tireless work and their commitment to hospitality. Again, thank you and we look forward to seeing you again, our light is always on! Safe travel,

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed there a few weekends ago. We had to book a room last minute because we were coming in town for a funeral. The rooms were quite pricy (we paid 200 for a suite, because we needed a handicap accessible room) but the regular rooms were 189 we were told. Jeremy who took my call though was great and gave us a AAA discount even though we didn't have AAA. Its easy to find, right off the highway, really close to tamarak and restuarants.

Check in was easy, but It was super packed there due to high school reunions and some teacher conference. Our second night there were no vacancies! I didn't have a problem at all there, i'm not a picky traveler. Rooms were clean, breakfast was very good for hotel food (though it was hard to find a table b/c off all the crowds!) they offer free cookies and coffee all day long in the lobby. We did not use the pool or exercise room but seemed nice. I did use the business center (which is 2 computers in the lobby) and they were very fast and decent. The lobby is cute, and they have a great outdoor patio with rocking chairs.

Our room was a suite, which had 2 queens, fridge, microwave, and a front room with a pullout couch and some armchairs. Great for my handicap grandmother to be able to sit in and rest between events we had. We asked to use a shower chair for her, and the desk brought one up for us no problem. My mother thought the shower pressure wasn't great. The only issue we had really was that we requested an accessible room, and our room was on the 3rd floor, and quite far from the elevator. it was a lot of work for my grandmother to go back and forth. i ended up using her seat walker as a wheelchair for her most of the time because it was too hard for her to get to our room. I know it's not the hotel's fault how the rooms are, and we did book last minute, but that part really bothered us and made our stay quite difficult.

other family also stayed in the hotel with us, and they said they had stayed in a Country Inn elsewhere before, and it wasn't as nice as this one. All in all, I thought it was a great stay (though pricey). It just makes a difference if you have a handicap person with you. I would stay here again just my husband and I if it weren't so pricey.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review the property. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and just wanted to say thanks for the kind review. The staff works hard to meet expectations especially during our peak rate season, we are busy all the time. I am sorry though that the ADA room was located away from the elevator. We have several on the first floor but unfortunately they were reserved during your stay. I think the ADA room on third is a little too far I just wish I could fix that issue. Again, thank you and we look forward to your next visit!

Jerry Smith
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beckley
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Beckley East
#5 of 14 in Beckley
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Beckley
Fairfield Inn & Suites Beckley
The Resort at Glade Springs

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley? Share your experiences!