“Not a place to stay if you want to sleep.”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Beckley
Fairmont, West Virginia
“Not a place to stay if you want to sleep.”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stopped here for the night on our way back from Tennessee. It was a rainy Friday evening when we arrived. We originally attempted to stay at the Hampton Inn which was across the street but they were full so we thought we would give Country Inn a try since it had a ranking of number 2 on here. Check-in wasn't a problem, the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. We were able to get a suite for a reduced rate- $146/ngt. Got to the room and it was fairly clean but very dull and boring but for one night it would do. About an hour after getting settled the nightmare began. This hotel must be built cheaply with very thin walls because it sounded like the occupants above us were going to come through the floor. They must have had young children that were jumping and running like crazy. We have two children as well (10 and 3) but would never let them go wild crazy in public or in the privacy of our room. I made a call to the front desk from my cell phone since the phone in the room wouldnt work but they were so busy that they couldnt get to it right away. About two hours later of constant noise a employee came to our room and asked if we had a complaint and that she needed to come inside to hear it. As soon as she walked it her eyes widened and said "that is ridicious" and stated she would handle it. A few minutes later the noise finally stopped (11:00 p.m.). We were finally able to get our three year old to sleep. As the night went on I tossed and turned realizing that it was burning up in the room. I turned the air as far down as it would go but the air would only come on for a few minutes and go off. The entire night it only came on twice for a few minutes. Around five-thirty in the morning the room started to cool off alittle and I fell asleep. At six in the morning the noise above us started again, just as loud as the night before. The temperature in the room started to rise again. At this point I was exhausted and so irratated. I got dressed and walked to the front desk (since the phone in room was broken) and vented my frustrations. I told them about the noise and about the air not working. The girl was friendly and stated we would have sent up a maintenance person if you would have called. I told her the phone didnt work, it was three in the morning and I didnt want to wake my kids who slept through the heat. She apologized for the issues and immediately went to handle the noise complaint. I got back to the room and decided to pack up and leave. As we were leaving I observed the breakfast area and it was crazy busy, loud and the food smelled horrible. As we were leaving the girl at the front desk stopped me and again apologized and told me that my stay was reduced to half. I appreciated the reduction but based on the conditions felt that the whole night should have been compped.
You can read my other reviews and see that I dont give out too many low ratings so beware of staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank steelmoney58
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
I am so sorry that your stay was not pleasant. We strive to make things right for our guests and I am sorry this was not the case. Please contact me at 304-252-5100 or email jsmith@hlihotels.com so I can personally address your concerns.

Jerry D. Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I'm extremely picky about my hotels, but I loved this one. They have both an indoor pool that is connected to the outdoor pool, a hot tub both indoors and outdoors, and fresh baked cookies. The check in staff were very friendly and made sure that we were comfortable. This hotel far exceeded my expectations. If you need a hotel in this area, this one is for you.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review the Country Inn and Suites of Beckley, WV. It was our pleasure serving you, and we are so pleased that you enjoyed our stay! I will share your comments with the staff at our next meeting. We hope to see you again soon, our light is always on.

Safe travels,

Concord,nc
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Great bed and pillows, but traffic noice was very noticeable. The breakfast buffet was very good with a lot of selections. Also one of the best and most spacious porch areas for people who like to relax outside of their rooms. Unfortunately the hotel can't control the traffic noise, but they did do a great job on their part

Room Tip: Get a room on the backside so traffic noice won't be as noticeable
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review this hotel. We do recognize that the traffic can be loud at times, and we are sorry that the noise may have bother you during your stay. However we are most pleased with your kind words about the hotel. My staff and I work hard to make things right for the guest, and we are thankful you noticed are efforts. We hope to see you again soon, the light on the porch is always on!

Safe travels,

Blountville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

This was the first time I've stayed at this hotel and it was very good. Everything looked to be clean and in good condition. Comfortable bed and pillows. Good breakfast both hot and cold items. Nice porch area with rocking chairs to relax and talk. Very convenient location off I-77 and close to many restaurants. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at the Country Inn and Suites, Beckley WV. We take pride in a job well done and it is very rewarding when someone notices are efforts. The staff will be pleased with the glowing review, and we do thank you for staying with us! Safe travels,

Cedarville, Ohio
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This hotel is very clean, provides good service, very nice indoor pool area & hot breakfast is included in the stay. My wife and I found the queen mattress very comfortable and she is alot pickier than I am although she says I could sleep comfortably on a concrete slab and still girgle & drool. They provide comfortable amenities in the rooms. The price is very reasonable. Actually, we plan on staying here on our return trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review this hotel, we do appreciate your comments. I have to admit those cookies are very tasty. We work hard to provide that home away from home feeling and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to serving you in the future and we wish you safe travels on your journey.

Thanks

Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed June 1st on trip home. Large nicely furnished king suite. Hotel does seem a little worn and in need of maintenance. Main stairwell banister is loose and is safety risk. Great indoor/outdoor pool. And the largest breakfast offering you could want. And did I mention the fresh baked cookies?! I will look to stay at Country Inns again in the future.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words about the Country Inn and Suites, Beckley WV. We truly work hard to please the guests that stay at our Inn and I am thankful you enjoyed your stay. I will share your praise to the staff and as always we look forward to serving you when in the Beckley WV area. Safe travels!

Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

My wife and just spend two days at the Country Inn & Suites, May 4th & 5th and what pleasure it was. I want to thank Jerry, the GM for responding to a previous email I had sent asking about the their current renovations. The renovations had no impact in a negative way with our stay, matter of fact, they were positive, as one of the areas that had been renovated was the breakfast area - Great job. I would like to give a personal "Thank you" to Elizabeth at the front counter. My wife and I arrived 2 hours early with regards to the 3 pm check-in time, and when I asked Elizabeth if we could check in early, she went out of her way to get us checked in, and with a smile. She also got me signed up for the Carlson CLub and explained all its benefits. She is such an asset to your team. We are planning of coming back in August, and will make it appoint to make our reservations at Country Inn & Suites.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Poppy1955
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Wow what a great way to start the day! Thank you so much for the kind review, we do appreciate your feedback and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay! I will pass on the compliments to Elizabeth, you are right so is a great asset to the team. Again thank you, have a safe trip and see you in August.

Kind Regards,