“Indoor pool nice, sorry there is no more hot tub!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Beckley

Courtyard Beckley
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Beckley
NC
“Indoor pool nice, sorry there is no more hot tub!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

The renovated rooms were very nice - modern decor, new flat screen TV's, many rooms with balconies. If you are looking at older pictures - that show an indoor pool and whirlpool. The whirlpool is now filled with concrete and the mandated (by federal law) accessibility lift is mounted on the side of the swimming pool. I will miss the whirlpool at this location. No refrigerator or microwave in room and breakfast is not complimentary but there is a McDonalds across the parking lot and other restaurants (Outback Steakhouse, Applebees. For a nice local restaurant try Campestre's Mexican restaurant.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank momof3girlsNC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Beckley is a great place for those heading north from Florida. It is the last stop on the route where there is a good choice of restaurants and hotels.
We enjoyed the Courtyard because all the rooms have been recently renovated. The AC unit provides good quality air - not stuffy and noisy like many individual units.
The hotel is across the road from an Outback so you do not need to climb back in your car after a long drive.
It may be a bit pricey but a fresh clean room is worth a few dollars.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quieter
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Luvtravel41
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Renovated rooms are stylish & clean. Modern lobby. Good coffee & food. Sometimes during tourist season, rates are a bit high.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Valaw
Waterford, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

When I returned home form my visit in West Virginia I checked my credit card statement only to find I had been OVER CHARGED $40. I contacted the hotel and after several attempts a rude manager got on the phone and informed me that I had been charged extra for taking the hotel pillows, four of them to be exact. How was this possible that I was being accussed of taking four pillows. The manager told me she personally checked the room and witnessed this. I did not believe that she personally went to my room. After a lengthy conversation the manager agreed to credit my credit card. Still fighting the battle to receive credit. Check your bills!!! Very dishonest staff!!!!

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ken S
Niagara Falls, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

My husband and I stopped in Beckley WV on the last night of our month long vacation. We love to stay at the Marriott because of their high quality...but not this place. It was my husband that booked, but if it were me I would have gone right down to the desk and demanded my money back!! He asked for a room with nice scenery. We got a room that overlooked garbage next door and garbage downstairs. There was a mess everywhere because apparently they're re-modeling. When we called downstairs for another room we were told the other ones available only look onto the back of other motels, so the view would be worse. While trying to get onto the internet one would have to be a technician to figure it out. I went down to the desk and the lady working their told me that because we had TWO laptops only one could connect. It's supposed to be wifi so what would that have to do with it. When we finally did get them connected after fooling for over an hour the connection was bad.The rooms are dated with old bathroom appliances with new carpets and paint. The bathrooms are set up in two parts so when you're taking a shower with the door closed there is no place at all to put your bed clothes to get into!! My pjs were soaked and I had to dry them on the heater. The worse offense ever is to charge an astronomical amount of money and then place your coffee pots and supplies in the bloody bathroom!! I asked if they serve breakfast in the morning and was told yes. I didn't know that we had to PAY for it in their bistro!!! I will never come back here again. I know a lot of people that stop in Beckley going south from Ontario and I surely will put the word out not to stop in here. We will never be back!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank sandrajNiagaraFalls
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

I wished I would have read the reviews before booking this hotel - it is way overpriced - especially now with the construction in the lobby (terrible odor!) and they don't offer you a discount or ask if you'd like to stay in their adjacent hotel. I stayed there March 1st 2012, and I assume they'll have that place in disarray for at least another couple months.

Room Tip: The doors slam - get a room away from others. It's annoying.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank PalmBeacher06
Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I have traveled and stayed at this hotel many times over the past 12 years. Thankfully they are getting a renovation. The updated rooms are noticeably improved with flat screen TVs, better bedding/beds, new fixtures, new AC units and carpeting. However construction is ongoing and many of the public areas are torn up. When it's finished it will be nice.

The lobby is greatly improved with the ability to get food and drink at night, and a sundries shop to get snacks etc.

The location is convenient for the interstate off the Harper Road exit and there are plenty of eating choices with an Outback and Applebee's across the parking lot. The Starbucks in the Tamarack rest area is a couple minutes drive if you need your fix.

Ive not found the people here anything but pleasant in my experience, and the hotel has generally been a good value for the money, however the price has been creeping up and during renovations $139 seems not to take into consideration the dust.

I'm sure I'll be back, and once improvements are completed I can post an update.

• Stayed February 2012