“Restauran t features gormet food in a secluded nature setting.”
Review of The Char

The Char
Ranked #2 of 112 Restaurants in Beckley
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
“Restauran t features gormet food in a secluded nature setting.”
Reviewed May 19, 2010

Restaurant has a great view of a pond on the secluded property right out the window with ducks and geese. A forested hill slopes to the pond with a deer feeder that attracts wild deer and their fawns. We got to see a fawn chasing a goose. A great setting, great service and a very nice menu of delicious meals.

1 Thank Truthseeker41

Lawrenceville, Georgia
“Perfect Birthday Dinner!”
Reviewed January 12, 2010

"The Char" restaurant was recommended to me by the staff at The Courtyard Marriott (recommend), Beckley, WV. I was looking for somewhere to take my husband for his 35th birthday. We were in Beckley for our winter family ski vacation.
The Char did not disappoint us! It is located next to a beautiful pond that they light up at night, and with the snow on the ground, it was magical! The ambiance is very romantic with dim lighting and candles on the table and a wall of windows to see the pond. My sons (11 & 17) were the only children there, but they were greeted kindly. We were dressed casual, and that was okay too.
The service was impeccable! to say the least. Our server was friendly, witty and very fast. The food was AMAZING! Three of us had steaks and my youngest son had bbq pork chops. All of the meat was cooked perfectly. My husband's t-bone was HUGE! All of the cuts of meat were. They gave my husband a free birthday dessert. It was a perfect birthday dinner for the hubby! We all left stuffed and very satisfied. If we ever return to Beckley, we will for sure eat at The Char again!

2 Thank melissa40
Johnstown, Pennslyvania
“Wonderful food and surroundings”
Reviewed November 21, 2009

We found this place by asking a local. The food was fantastic. Great selection. I had the sea scallops and there were more than I could eat. Friends had the barbecue chops and he said the best ever. Outside there is a small lake and we watched the deer drinking and running through the field. Service was friendly and top notch. We hope to return if ever in the area again.

1 Thank Mrsosci
Nowhere
“Don't Bother”
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I always go for the local restaurants when I travel, foregoing the bland, boring food one finds at chain restaurants. On this trip, I tried out The Char and wish I hadn't. It was the most expensive low quality food I've ever eaten. All the vegetables in my meal and side dish except the lettuce were previously frozen or previously canned and the pasta alfredo sauce separated and was flavorless. Speaking of flavorless, the parmesan cheese which I begged the server to bring after the tablespoons of pepper didn't enliven my meal was equally flavorless--I'm guessing Kraft "parmesan cheese" product. Service was fine, the atmosphere was quite nice, and the salad was good. But those things couldn't carry the meal, especially given the price. The steak or seafood may have been o.k., but they served nothing that sounded remotely interesting and definitely nothing local. In sum, had I gone to one of the dozens of chain restaurants in the immediate area, I could have paid about $5 less and had an equally dull meal.

1 Thank Timotheos