“Great Steaks”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We stopped at The Char after researching some of the various restaurants in town on our way through. We were woefully underdressed in jeans and tshirts, but decided that this place would rather have our business. No mistake! Our meals were amazing! The steaks were generous portions and served with nice sides. The salad is unique so I recommend ordering with the house dressing so that it is experienced as intended. Great meal and our server was very kind. (Note: the restaurant is on two levels and we were seated in the back of the restaurant on the second level. I have no idea if this was intentional given our attire,but it helped make us a little more comfortable)

2  Thank meistercal

Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Everything is always clean. The food is great. The service is always kind and courteous to your needs. Sometimes there's a wait but, you can sip on drinks by the cozy fire, while you wait. The food is worth the price. I'd rather go here, than the Outback any day.

1  Thank Rrkkcc
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stay in Beckley,WV on our way south. It is nice to sit down and have a very good dinner to relax and enjoy.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Anybody who has grown up in Beckley thinks that the Char is a big deal. It is the most elegant restaurant in Beckley, and surprisingly few people have ever been there. They think that it is just too fancy and expensive for them. They could not be more wrong. I have gone there in stretch pants and a scrub top, with sneakers on. I have been going there for 25 years. The prices are not outrageous--I find that I spend more in Outback than I do in the Char. The Char has a quiet and dignified atmosphere--so if you really want to talk to somebody, this is the place to go. The food is wonderful. The strawberry daiquiri is the best that I have ever had in the world--and I have been all over the world and on countless cruise ships. The shrimp chowder is unique and delicious. The fried oysters, when available, are perfect.. This is probably the only place in Beckley where you can get escargot done the same way that they do it in Paris. The salad is great--get the house dressing. Get the garlic bread. Salad and bread come with the meal--it's not one of those "rip you off" a la carte places where you pay $9.00 for spinach. The entrees are great--my favorites are the double brasciole (unique to the Char), the prime sirloin strip (the best cut of steak that they have) and the lamb chops. They have seafood, but the red meat is better. The best desserts are tiramisu and bread pudding. For people who like that sort of thing, they have a wonderful stuffed potato. All of this is in a quiet atmosphere overlooking a duck pond. They even have valet parking--which I always use! One warning--not for wild little kids. I got thrown out of there when my 3 year old was running around. I have a group of female friends that meet at the Char regularly, but I end up going there more for business.

2  Thank Mary M
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We customarily stop in Beckley on the way to North Carolina to visit our son and his family. We always eat at The Char and have had good experiences in the past. That said, we usually order the fillet mignon, baked potato, and salad. Hard to mess up those things.

This time I ordered the salmon. Very disappointing. It was the thin end portion that still had the skin on. It had been rolled up to be more attractive (or to disguise what it was,) but it was just a mess when I discovered the skin and tried to get it off. I'm thinking that next time we will drive on the Wytheville instead of stopping in Beckley.

1  Thank SuperSueB

Been to The Char? Share your experiences!