“So good we went back, and back again!!!”
Review of The Char

The Char
Ranked #3 of 113 Restaurants in Beckley
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Char was recommended to us by locals and we went there early in our week in WV. The food, service, and atmosphere was so great we took others there the following night and then took more family there late in the week. Every course was fantastic and the service was helpful and attentive. We never waited more than 5 minutes for a table. It is a gamble to go back to a restaurant after a great initial experience, sometimes the next trip doesn't measure up...but all three meals were wonderful and we would go back any time we get a chance!!!

Reviewed July 30, 2011

Had the Authentic Italian Stuffed Brascioli. I have not seen this item anywhere in the world. What a great dish!! Flattened filet that was served rolled up and filled with bread crumbs and parmasean cheese. Also had the house dressing on my salad. This is also excellent. Finished my meal with the bread pudding and excellent coffee.
The service was great. The pricing could be a tad lower and I recomend dining at the char after dark...the huge window at sundown takes away sligtly from the nice atmosphere within the restaurant.

1  Thank Saltrockkid
Reviewed March 19, 2011

We traveled 35 miles to have a nice dinner to celebrate my daughters birthday. When we arrived we asked how long it would take to be seated and if it would be more than an hour we would go elsewhere. We were told it would be less than an hour so we waited. About an hour later we asked if it would be much longer and we were told they were still trying to figure a way to seat our party. We waited an additional hour to be seated.
To add insult to injury the glasses and silverware were filthy. The food was marginal.
Overall this outing was very disappointing.

2  Thank travel1961_11
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Being from the San Francisco Bay Area, we feel like we occasionally know good food when we experience it. The Char is one of the rare finds within a 200 mile radius that appears to have some knowledge about what good food actually is.....although there were a few slip-ups.

We dined at The Char on a very cold Saturday night in January. Atmosphere was intriguing with large glass windows looking out upon a frozen pond. Icicles between 2 and 5 feet long were hanging from the roof over the windows, providing a Currier & Ives scene.

My wife had a Pinot Grigio and I had a Cabernet S. Both wines were very nice. Our first course was the house salad and was most excellent.....fresh, flavorful, crisp....and worth 5 stars.

First goof: This extraordinary salad was served with individually wrapped saltine crackers. Come on guys.....let's get it right. A place like this needs the crackers GONE, never to be seen again. Let's have our bread with the salad please....or if you wish....make up some seeded flatbreads or interesting focaccias. More about bread later.

My wife's entree was a large serving of scallops and she said they were sweet and excellent. My entree was the large portion fillet mignon, which was seasoned brilliantly and cooked to perfection. A greater steak I have not had in many decades.
The vegetable medley was just over the line of being over cooked. Take it easy on the veggies as we don't need them totally dead to eat them.

The last goof: the bread which was served with dinner was plain French or Italian-like bread that seemed to have been sliced and gilled in butter. Nope.....this won't do guys. It reminded me of eating at a drug store counter.......better put your thinking caps on and come up with some focaccias or something, if no artisan bakery is handy.

For dessert, I had the bread pudding with brandy sauce which was tasty, but I've had better (here we go with bread again). My wife had the cheesecake which was a mile high and was totally wonderful.

Service was friendly, accurate and attentive. Lots of folks working the floor with water pitchers and cleaning tables immediately after patrons had vacated.

Looking for a better restaurant in this area of West Virginia?.....you won't find one. Enjoy the outstanding qualities of The Char and be sure to complain about the bread and crackers.......4 stars could become 5.

4  Thank trekker07
Reviewed October 7, 2010

My family loves this overpriced place. I go there at least once a visit and am never ever impressed. The service is great and the staff is freindly but the food is never enough for the price that you have to pay. I always leave hungry and stop at a nearby fast food joint to feel satisfied. Portions are small. Side dishs of vegetables are a overpriced joke. A teaspoon of tomato relish is not a salad with tomatoes! Stingy with the bread!!! A table of four gets only four pieces of bread. Come on! You all know people will ask for more!!!!!
When invited here from now on, I will eat at Mc Donalds before hand and then just simply get an appetiser here and be done with it.