“Filthy Room”

Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Beckley
CLEVELAND
“Filthy Room”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Room 208 was unclean. debris on floor. Pubic hairs on sheets. Went to front desk for clean sheets - she was only one on staff. She said this was unusual, older lady who cleans usually does great job. Next morning saw young, heavily tattooed guy doing cleaning. Do not stay here if you have a choice. Go a little further up the road to decent place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank WANDRA E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Okeechobee, Florida
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Stay out of ROOM 206 BEDBUGS. I stayed in this hotel 1 night after checking out by the next night i have bites all over. Wanted me to pay for someone to come in and checck to see if there were bedbugs. Stay away from this hotel!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Michele C

Travelers are raving about these Beckley hotels

Yorktown, Virginia
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This hotel is nasty. Carpets are filthy. Old and smells of smoke. Do not stay at this place until it has been remodeled.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank TDSEH
indian trail
Reviewed September 28, 2011

My family went to W.VA for Labor day weekend. Our cousin reserved our room with his credit card. My husband went inside to check in when we arrived. He paid for the room in cash with a one hundred dollar bill, the clerk said to him "do you want change" how strange. Well the next thing we get a call from our cousin who reserved the room, saying that his credit card was charged for the room. Well we have been on the phone to Super 8 everyday since that. So long story short we have to send our cousin $78.00 for a room that we paid cash for. I guess the clerk decided he needed a tip. Needles to say we will never stay at Super 8 ever again, for that matter in any state. A very unhappy customer

Room Tip: Don't Stay At Super 8 they steal your money
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank laurie j
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I got there at a little past midnight. The lobby was dark, but the TV was going. There was no front desk assistant to be seen. As I walked around calling for someone to check me in (there was no bell or buzzer in sight), I heard a phone ring behind me in the lobby. There, on one of the couches, the front desk assistant was lying, FAST ASLEEP. He woke up and checked me into my room.
After I got unpacked and undressed for the shower, the phone rang. It was our friend at the front desk, informing me that he had checked me into the wrong room, and I needed to switch rooms right away. After a brief "conversation", I got dressed, packed up, and moved to the new room.
After several days, I realized my stay needed to be extended. I got back to the hotel late that night, and went into the lobby to speak to the assistant. As I expected, the lobby was dark, and the assistant was asleep on the couch again. When I woke him to extend my stay, he wouldn't even get up from lying on the couch to make the change on the computer. All he would say was, "Don't worry, man. I'll take care of you."
The next morning, I thought I would double-check to make sure that the extension had actually happened, so I went down to the lobby again. People were milling around, getting their breakfast, and the assistant was nowhere to be found. I leaned over the counter, and (no joke) there he was, lying on the floor, asleep. Unbelievable.
After the 5th night of staying in Room 206, I woke up around 4:30am to go to work. As I rolled over, I saw a reddish-brown bug crawling away from me... Having never seen a bed bug before, I squashed it and discovered that it was full of blood. MY blood. I looked it up on the internet, and sure enough, it was a bed bug. By quickly looking around the bottom corners of the box spring, I was able to easily locate at least a dozen bed bugs. Some of their dried carcasses were on the floor, along with small cookie chunks and other debris. Clearly, housekeeping must not include vacuuming in their normal routine.
Although I immediately transferred to another room on another floor, I had been bitten 65 times just on one arm. I'm sure there were more bed bugs that I didn't see, because the room was infested.
Would I stay here again? Not if I could possibly help it. If I had to, I would bring a plastic sheet to drape over the bed and sleep on top of that. With my clothes on.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Tim H
West Virginia
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Checked in September 14, woke at midnight and discovered the sheets and pillows were crawling with bugs. Freak out! The front desk helped me find another motel but acted like this was an isolated experience. That is not the case. Skip this place and don't bring the bugs back to contaminate YOUR home.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Madison WI
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I've had good experiences with Super 8, so I stopped in Beckley on my way to visit family. The price charged me as a walk-in customer was completely outrageous: 42% more than rates available online! Do they think we don't check?

I was exhausted, so I accepted the ridiculous price, only to be placed in a room whose baseboards hadn't been swept in years. Carpets everywhere were tired, threadbare, and dirty. I was glad to leave the next morning, and I am now very leery of Super 8. This particular motel is NOT helping their brand.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family