“Worst Howard Johnson ever” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Express Inn - Beckley

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Beckley
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Beckley
ontario
“Worst Howard Johnson ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

worst hotel ever been. When we arrived there was lot of mess close to lobby lying there. The room was only available upstairs due to renovation. Uncleaned dirty room with smelly comforters and sheets. Dirty and full of stain wash room bath. No Tissue papers in the slot. Uncomfortable mattrasse and pillows. We checked in late only for sleep over and found only hand towels in the morning no bath towel. Come morning we rose with surprise as the breakfast was all garbage with special edition orange juice which was only yellowish concenterate 10% of the drink. We trash the donut my son picked and went to IHOP for healthy retreat after wasting our money on surprisingly worst HOWARD JOHNSON ever.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Stratford, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

While this was a relatively inexpensive hotel I still feel the need to complain after experiencing several other 'discount' hotels. The place was dingy - we had reserved a smoking room (that's right a smoker complaining!) and we got a non-smoking room (though I have no doubt it was previously smoked in). Sheets were pretty sad looking and well beyond their day! I suppose for one night it served its purpose and the general area was good - short walk to restaurants etc. but all in all would not stay again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Beckley hotels

Charleston WV
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2007

My husband and I booked a NON-SMOKING room and in most cases you can't tell. We went to bed about 11:30 p.m and the bedding SMELLED of SMOKE it was TERRIBLE the maids did not change the bedding that morning if they had done their job I am sure it would not have bother me. I called down to the desk and no one answered until I used my cell phone I told the guy @ the desk what was going on and he said well mama alls I left is 2 SMOKING rooms witch I can show you now I ask this WHY WOULD I GO FROM A SMOKING ROOM TO A SMOKING ROOM so my husband went down stairs to get some CLEAN bedding. When he got down there the guy @ the desk asked my husband do you have a king or queen bed my husband said king and the guy gave us sheets for a queen. It is now a week later I have tried to get in touch with the owner/gen. MGR for a week now only to be told that he is not there. I am telling you this if you want CLEAN Sheets on your bed DON'T STAY HERE @ this Howard Johnson Express Inn @ 1907 Harper Rd Beckley, WV pay the x-tra $$$$$$$ and stay where it is clean. In my opinion this hotel rates a -100%

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

No ice machine, no elevator although two floors so be prepared to lug your luggage. Room smelled.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Greater Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2007

We stayed for 1 night on our way south to Florida with our 4 kids. Just a typical motel, nothing to make the rating 'above average' but also nothing that I would consider a problem. It was clean and the staff were good.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank DarrenA
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2007

We used AAA to evaluate the property in Beckley and they said it was a 3 star location. We found the room to have been upgraded and it was more than adequate, but the overall facility was very old looking and nowhere near what a 3 star property should be.
There was no elevator and it was very difficult to get luggage up the narrow stairs. The stairs were very old looking and dimly lit.

The hallway on the second floor had new carpet, as did the rooms. The carpet was nice.

The breakfast area was SO SMALL that people could not get around each other to get food. There was minimal seating.

We got a rate over the internet of 63 dollars. The desk person made us feel guilty for not paying the "normal" weekend rate. It sounded like she was going to tell off the new girl that gave it to us over the phone.

Overall, I would rate this a 1 or maybe 2 star property. I would not stay here again, as there are better places in Beckley than this.

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — accessibility
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank erchphs
WV
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

I stay in Beckley frequently but this was my first stay at HoJo. The facilities were clean but that's about it. The pool is tiny. Our room was at the back of the hotel. If you stay on the back end of the hotel I recommend letting the water run 15 to 20 minutes if you want I HOT shower. I didn't know that and settled for a cool shower. :( I got a room with a king bed and it wasn't nearly as nicely decorated as it is in the photos on this site. The smell that greeted me when I walked in the lobby was of Pine Sol - clean but uninviting. The first thing I saw when I walked in the lobby was the breakfast nook with the chairs piled upside down on the tables - 3:30 in the afternoon.
If you're just looking for someplace clean and inexpensive to sleep - this is the place for you in Beckley. If you're looking for a bit of warmth try someplace else.

• Liked — It was very clean and the girl at the front desk was friendly and knew her job.
  • Disliked — lack of "atmosphere"
  • Tips/Secrets — Run the water 15 minutes in order to get hot water for your shower or bath.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank 1BJ1987