“Price was good.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Beckley
Florida
“Price was good.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

The hotel is alright for a one night stay. The price was the reason for staying there.
We arrived early evening and left early the next morning. We probably would stay there again if it was going to be a short night like this trip was.

1 Thank missjoflo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Olive Hill, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Our room was so dirty !!! The bathroom had not been cleaned, commode had skid marks in it, the wash cloths had not been folded, just waded up and crammed into the metal holders. They gave us our money back without right away and said they had been having trouble. Very bad experience.

Room Tip: Avoid this place at all cost !
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patiodadio

Travelers are raving about these Beckley hotels

Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stopped at a rest area and found a hotel coupons magazine and determined that Beckley, WV was a good area to quit after 18 hours of driving with 2 couples and 3 kids. The HoJo was advertised for $65 on Fri/Sat. We called ahead and they said they had rooms available and they knew we had found them in the coupon pamphlet. When we arrived they would not honor the coupon because they said they had a tournament in town. Turns out the tournament "in town" was over 60 miles from there. There were no vacancies in town due to the wind storm and the amount of electric crews from all over that responded. They charged me $142 for a room. We had planned on getting two rooms but at that price I wasn't willing to pay for 2 rooms.
The room was okay, nothing special but fairly clean.
In the morning we went down for breakfast and were greated with an ice tub that had Bed Bug Powder written on it. It was on the table in the breakfast area. We took pictures and removed it from the area before my daughter in law could see it and take it up with the staff. It certainly took us out of the mood for breakfast.
We told every guest we saw about the powder.
I always look for bed bugs when I travel and I did not see any. Just typing this makes me itch though.
When I got home I called HoJo Corporate headquarters and complained. The lady I talked to was very nice and I could tell she was upset and disgusted. I wanted a credit on my account, I wanted them to honor the coupon. They took a report and gave the hotel several days to respond to my complaint which they did not. I then got a call from corporate hq saying they were sorry, they couldn't adjust the rate and they would work with the hotel to improve their management. Yeah well good luck with that. The people in the lobby smoke, the place is run down. I wouldn't recommend this place to a homeless person.

Growing up I loved HoJo's, great memories of their restaurant on Ft. Lauderdale beach, I still cook my hot dogs the way they did. This experience just marred that.

I intend to notifiy the board of health about this and put it all over fb and any other place I can think of. Stay away, sleep in your car, but don't sleep there.

Room Tip: Are you kidding, there are no good rooms!
3 Thank KatheeG
Ona, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We did not get the room we reserved. We booked a king bed non smoking room several months in advance but got put in a smoking room with two double beds. The room was dirty! There were cigarettes in the shower and it smelled strongly of smoke. They had no other rooms they could move us to. There were stains on the lamp shades and the microwave didn't work. The refrigerator was barely cool and smelled awful. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BeachBum0313
Oxford, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

While traveling from AL to PA to see my family, we were planning to stop in Wythville, VA. When we finally made it there, we found out that no one had any rooms due to almost the whole state of WV being without power. We took a chance and kept going to see how far we could keep traveling. We reached Beckley and stopped a hotel ( I do not remember which one) but they told us that the Howard Johnson had just got it's power back about an hour before and they were renting out rooms. We got there and we had to see if they had any rooms that would fit a wheelchair, They had one left on the 1st floor and we took it. The people working the desk where working so hard to help everyone. They told us that the rooms may not be made up and they were washing and drying sheets right then. Several of us standing there told them that if they'd give us the sheets we'd make the beds. The poor lady looked like she was going to cry. We kept trying to thank them for being so helpful and working so hard to help everyone. Of course you had people in there complaining, but they still handled everything very well.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Overall good hotel , clean but spend $120 all tax in.
Could be better but the staff was very good and make up for the rest

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ioampe
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I'm not a morning person, but I was so happy to escape this pit that I got myself up and out in the morning. Good riddance!

A pool is advertised, but its a dismal, dirty concrete hole surrounded by old, broken deck furniture and a chainlink fence. Breakfast is advertised, but its the worst of the low-end, prepackaged artificial food on the market. After bad tea in styrofoam cup and inedible instant oatmeal, I gave up. The furniture in the room had been severely abused and looked like it. I wasn't expecting the Ritz, but for $100/night, I expected something less revolting.

Never again!

Room Tip: Find a room in another hotel...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo