“Great front desk, but....”

Comfort Inn Beckley
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Beckley
Rocky Mount, North Carolina, United States
“Great front desk, but....”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

On our way south, and had reservations 2 hrs north of Beckley, called and found reservations at Beckley, and cancelled the other. The front desk clerks were very friendly and even had Chocolate chip cookies baked for their guests arrival! The hotel is a little outdated, the carpets dingy, but the rooms were OK. A place to sleep!!! Several places to eat nearby. The housekeeping staff needs to dress in uniforms, and cleanup a bit, they tended to hang at the back door so they could smoke, is why the hallways, and lobby smell like smoke! The room is dated, and needs a good remodel, the only new item is the flat screen tv. Breakfast is a continental breakfast that is usually served at hotels. Bagels, waffles, and the thawed out muffins, and danishes. Serves as breakfast, and glad it was free!

Room Tip: First floor away from the pool and away from the lobby area!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Steven M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel at least twice a year for the past few years, but this last time did it for me. I went to breakfast before 8:00, so I didn't bother to put the do not disturb tag out. I have never had to that early. When I got back around 8:20, I found my door propped open and a cleaning guy nearby. I got pretty ticked and asked him why my door was open. He gave a lame excuse about thinking I checked out. Didn't add up with him leaving my door ajar because he was working on another room. While checking out, I spoke with the manager. She said she would look into it. Never heard from her. I complained to corporate, but it went nowhere. Breakfast was nothing to brag about. Typical carb laden meal. Up to this hotel, I had never seen a tip jar in the breakfast area for the help either. They definitely need a makeover from the bottom up.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank mikeandwife91

Travelers are raving about these Beckley hotels

Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We were traveling south and stayed here overnight. Luckily we made reservations because there was a large group staying here.
The hotel did what we wanted - a clean hotel off the freeway. It was a bit high, but that seemed true of all hotels in the area.
We went to get some breakfast and it was very crowded - again the group.
Everyone was friendly. The only one that was a bit crabby was at check in - maybe it was too late for her. Otherwise just fine.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dawn p
New Lebanon, Ohio
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Great location. Rooms were clean & comfortable. Hotel was sold out so you want a reservation. Breakfast was better than most but not quite resturant quality. Night desk was a little short on smiles but not rude. Morning staff was great, as was breakfast crew. We'll use again.

Only negative comment is breakfast room was too tight for crowd.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Dan T
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We checked in around 8:30pm. Sign on front desk at check-in that pool was closed. I wasn't concerned about swimming, just wanted to stay for the night on our way to SC. The hotel had a smoke odor but some older hotels do as well so I ignored that until we got to our room. Everything had a coating of dust and dirt on it. Your feet would stick to the floor it was so humid and damp. Because we were quite honestly just lazy and didn't feel like loading back up to look for another hotel my husband complained about how dirty the room was and we were given a $15 discount. Hardly worth the discomfort of not wanting to touch anything.

Just wanted to say you're welcome to housekeeping..I wiped everything down for you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa H
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Staff were nice, but dressed in t-shirts. Room was non smoking, but had a smoking stinch to it. They need a certain spot for spokers to smoke, not right outside front door. The rooms were very dated, but had flat screen TV (screen was dirty). Beds were ok, but bed spread had burn in it (non-smoking room?). I stay here a few months back and it seemed better. Hotel owner needs to spend a litte money, carpets clean, new bedding, walls washed or painted (don't forget the switch plate covers). Teach the staff how to clean. They can learn this by going to the Grundy VA location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank IBSANC
North Bay, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We reserved a non-smoking room and were given a non-smoking room that absolutely reeked of cigarettes! My husband is very allergic to smoke and went to complain. Luckily they moved us to a new room. The hotel itself has hallways in bad need of new carpets and a paint job. The rooms themselves were NOT very clean. The bedspreads had marks/stains on them, the edges of the room looked like they had never been vacuumed, and our sink was not very clean. I peeled back the bedspread and used my Lysol wipes to wipe down the bathroom. We got a very good deal on the room, so that is affecting my rating - for the price it was OK.
On the positive side, the staff was friendly and did address our concern about the smoke odor. The breakfast was very good - a clean breakfast area, friendly staff, good food and a nice selection.
Would I go again? Only if I got a good deal on the room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family