“No Frills” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Beckley
Pittsburgh
“No Frills”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Econo Lodge, Beckley WV proved to be a basic, no frills motel with basic amenities. Rooms were clean but worn. You could see light coming from around the door which may have allowed the spider to enter the room that I had to dispose of. Most channels on the television appeared to have poor reception. Free breakfast included bagels, doughnuts hard boiled eggs, juice, coffee and tea. This motel does allow pets which helped to keep it from getting a poor rating.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Lewis Center, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed an overnight here on our way home from the beach. I was trying to save a few bucks. I ended up wishing I had forked out the extra money. Sheets were really rough. Door was totally scratched up where someone left there dog unattended, which made me wonder if all the stains on the carpet were from a dog. We were given a key that didnt work, then got a double room instead of a king. The room was not the cleanest, which made us feel gross all night. Breakfast was nice and the lady attendant in the breakfast room was very pleasant. There are several other hotels right nearby. I would try those.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Beckley hotels

Chicago, ILL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Hi there all! No super fun witty review this time as this place left ol Fran in the dumps. We had tried to reserve a couple of times over the phone only to have it ring through to the fax machine. I wish we had listened to our inner gut. I also wish we had a smart phone to look up other options. We were recommended this hotel by a friend of ours and apparently it is pet friendly or whatever. We didn't have any dogs with surgery or cats with rollerskates, but we did have several concerns about this location. I honestly agree with Bob that the hotel is a $50 hotel, and not a $100 hotel. We were charged $94 when it was all said and done. PLEASE NOTE: There is a $1.50 safe charge you have to request to be removed at checkout for a microwave-sized safe. Our room had the same stained recliner, live and dead bugs, and a chunk of something in the bathroom that kept my partner out of the shower that other reviews have noted. I just "heeled it down" and washed up. I keep looking at my credit card bill and shaking my head. We had stays in several other hotels (including a Hampton Inn in Panama City that was top-notch) for the same or less money with much more quality for value. Maybe we had a bad room or everyone was having an off day, but I would suggest that other travelers check out some of the other options available as there are many at this exit. Verdict: Frowny Franny.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms across the street at a different Choice Hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Front desk person was adequate but not friendly or personable. The room was clean with all the amenities of a Choice Motel but the room was crowded. The beds were adequate. We had a discount coupon so we got what we paid for. If we had paid the regular charge we would have been disappointed. I would definitely recommend this for an overnite stay but not for an extended stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer and Ke... W
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

We were charged $100.00 for a room at this hotel. That was waaay to much, even for a weekend night. If we had been charged $50.00 my review would have been better, because the hotel is worth $50, not $100. Large burn holes in the blanket, cob webs, paper thin pillows and old lumpy mattresses were just some of the amenities included, not to mention the exterior door that wouldn't fully close so you could see outside even with the door closed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bobdabobalabin
Key Largo, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

Traveling with two larger dogs is not always easy to find a pet friendly accommodation...that you want you dogs to sleep in! This hotel is modestly appointed...there is some area to walk your pet but not much...the mattress was clean (I always check for bedbugs before I even check in!) and it didn't smell like you might expect a pet-friendly room to smell and the parking was convenient to the room. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. For what the room was I thought it was priced on the high side but cleanliness and convenience is my main concern so I would stay here again in a pinch.

Room Tip: If you get a room in the back it is more convenient to the dog walking area.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BarefeetTraveller
Princeton, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

Every Summer, my Dad, Mom, and I ride to Beckley to see the West Virginia Miners play baseball. Once or twice we will stay overnight and we always choose the Econo Lodge.

One of the great perks of this hotel is that if you are traveling with a pet (as we sometimes do), there is no additional fee or surcharge! All other hotels in the Beckley area either do not accept pets or they charge a $20 or $25+ fee per night. There are also plenty of places to walk your dog around the Econo Lodge, including the cemetery right next door. And don't fret...even though there are quite a few guests with pets, you never hear any barking or other pet sounds, so you won't lose any sleep at night. :-)

The rooms are very clean and have everything you need (microfridge, alarm clock, etc.) The beds are always clean, as are the bathroom/sink areas and carpet. My Mom can't walk very well and when we stay we always request a ground-floor room (the hotel is drive-up to your room) and they are always available.

They have a continental breakfast each morning from 6-10 and it is very nice. Assorted donuts, boiled eggs, bagels, cereal, etc. It's a great money saver!

Of course it's not what you'd call luxury, it is a wonderful value for the rate you pay. If you're looking for a great stay, great night's sleep and a hotel with low rates, then make Econo Lodge your one and only stop!
There is also plenty of parking, vending area, guest laundry, elevator, and free WI-FI!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family