“Great hotel”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Barboursville
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

I stayed here overnight while driving to DC. The other reviews are accurate. The rooms are very spacious, clean with modern quality furniture. The plasma tv is great. Bathrooms are good sized and modern. True, the water in the sink is mostly a sprinkle but I think that is to conserve water. When I arrived I was greeted very pleasantly by the desk attendant, my reservation pulled and sgned by me, my room key given to me and I was enroute to my room in less than 7 min. I was so impressed that I am writing this on my 2nd visit for my return home. I would definitely return if I am in the area again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank travelinillinois

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2008

All the hotels right next to Marshall University were sold out so I booked in Barboursville. It was a very short easy drive to the university and the Holiday Inn looks pretty brand new. And bonus! it was cheaper than the hotels near Marshall. Everything was very nice and clean.

Only two little complaints....one elevator shook, made you a little nervous that it wasn't safe but I'm sure it was.

And I wouldn't recommend the breakfast. The offered complimentary breakfast is coffee and danish but I had opted to pay the $7 or $8 (can't remember exactly what it cost) for the breakfast buffet which had variety but all the food was cold. There are so many restaurants in the area, I would suggest going out for breakfast instead of eating at the hotel.

But other than that, I'd return with no problem and would recommend it highly.

• Liked — very clean
  • Disliked — didn't care for the breakfast
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank wizofwoz
Pittsburgh PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2008

New, clean, beautiful room, all a big surprise at a Holiday Inn. had a suite, rooms were quite, and clean. Big shower head, pillow choices were nice, and the bed was very comfortable. Great choice for the area!!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JDP527
Athens, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2008

I stayed at this property because it was the only one available in the area. I was quite happy with this decision.

The room was great, with heavy duty furniture and a beautiful couch that I was almost afraid to sit on. Brand new 32" LCD TV, fridge, microwave, big comfy bed, and lots of freebies in the lavatory.

Everything I needed was within 1/4 mile, and was easy to get to. The staff, while young, were as helpful as they could be, and seemed unaccustomed to interacting with guests, but, it's a brand new hotel, and the management will grow into it.

The aquarium in the lobby is gigantic and quite stunning. The bartender was especially friendly and provided great service without playing favorites. I did not, alas, have an opportunity to try the restaurant, but I would be willing to bet that it beats the options in the surrounding area.

Good work guys!

• Liked — attention to detail and quality
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank BizCasFri
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

We stayed here to be near Blenko Glass on a members tour at the request of the coordinator. I was nicely surprised. The property is very new and the amenities are great. We had a nice quiet stay and found the value to be wonderful.

Our room had a nice fridge, microwave, large TV and great bed with plent of nice soft pillows. We ordered room service because we were tired and it was actually affordable. I was surprised when they delivered it in 20 minutes as they had promised. It was very good too. The fitness and pool area are great.

The staff was extremely helpful, and they did address any of our questions or concerns. Definately worth a stay.

• Liked — Large Rooms, Refrigerator, and Excellent Bed and Bedding
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008
1 Thank Bikerfuntime
Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

As the previous reviewer noted, this is a brand new hotel that just opened this summer. Plenty of parking, spacious rooms and a nice lobby area with a sparkling saltwater fish tank are some of the highlights. This is, indeed, a nice hotel. However, the front desk staff is indifferent (at best) and the water pressure in the sink and toilet is absolutely the worst I have ever encountered. The pressure in the shower is better, however the hot water really never got "hot". Furthermore, I could never get the room temperature regulated. It stayed cool, even for my tastes which run towards the cool side. The pool area did look nice, although I did not partake.

This is in a commercial/retail area with plenty of restaurants and a large mall nearby, which is very conveinent.

Overall, this is a good place that could be much, much better. The problems I encountered were more than "cosmetic" which makes me wonder about build quality. Plumbing and HVAC issues in a building this new makes me skeptical about how this place will age over the years.

• Liked — Location and amenities were top notch
  • Disliked — Water pressure, temperature, and HVAC were not. Staff were ambivalent.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank brobarus
thefbi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2008

In my continuing pursuit of a home on I- 64, found me trying the brand new Holiday Inn at Barboursville. Trying to be totally objective, my first impression was very good. The check in was fair and courteous. The lobby with it massive fish tank was impressive. I arrived at the room opened the door and was immediately impressed with the size of the room. Everything was new and had had few if any guest. Nice flat screen TV, refrigerator and microwave. At last, I had found my home on I-64.
Now it was time to get a cold diet and unwind. Oops, sold out on my floor, I go to the lobby and they have a pantry. No diet in the pantry. I ask the desk clerk and I am told there is a Pop machine on every floor. Ok nothing in the lobby, nothing on the second floor (my floor), on to the third floor – sold out. Ok now the fourth floor. Tada …Diet Pepsi. A $1.50 later and I am now the proud owner of a totally unrefrigerated warm pop. Ok .. the ice machine fixed that. Back to my room to rest. Gee sure seems like a lot of noise from the hallway …must be loud guest. Wrong answers, the money spent on the fish tank should have gone into sound proofing. I had never stayed in a bowling alley before. Not only is it loud from the average traveler, I get the little rascal in the hallway. Running, shouting, banging doors and pushing the elevator buttons to hear them go ping pong. By 10:00 P.M. it is time to call the desk to see if they can close down the hockey game in the hallway. Thirty plus minutes later the desk announces half time and the game is called. The team never returned to the ice but noise level from the average traveler never died out.
The last item on my list “the commode”, I believe green, I care about the environment but please provide enough water to flush without three tries. Did I mention the water saver on the bathroom facet? I let the water run until I saw the level in the Ohio River drop and still could not get my hands wet.
Hopefully with time and some constructive criticism most of the issue here can be corrected. But the lack of sound proofing is a real issue for anyone checking in with the intent of sleeping, all other should be fine.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank thefbi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barboursville
Hampton Inn Huntington / Barboursville
Red Roof Inn Huntington
#3 of 12 in Huntington
Fairfield Inn & Suites Huntington
Hampton Inn Huntington University Area

Been to Holiday Inn Barboursville? Share your experiences!