“OUTSTANDING!”

Holiday Inn Barboursville
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Barboursville
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This hotel was PHENOMENAL! I stayed here for 6 days while in town for my 20th High School reunion and had zero problems. Any issues with cleanliness (as described in other reviews) that we encountered (bathroom) were taken care of immediately once we brought it to the attention of the hotel staff. The FREE wifi was OUTSTANDING! As a frequent traveler (who is also in the military) who stays in many different hotel chains, free wifi is NOT common. The rooms was cold (which was a necessity in JULY) and the noise from other rooms/hallway was NEVER heard - and our room was across from the elevator wait area. The hotel is 100% smoke free! I will ALWAYS stay here when in town visiting family.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Alicia H

Reviewed July 26, 2012

We have stayed here twice now. The hotel is relatively new. The rooms were clean and nice, we had 2 queens and a sofa.

They have a free breakfast of packaged muffins and danishes or there is a small restaurant where you can buy a hot breakfast.

Pool was nice.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mskimt
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Is was a little bit concerned about staying here due to some other reviews that I had read on trip advisor. But we had a very nice stay and had no problems what so ever. The rooms were clean, the pool area was nice. Breakfast was just okay, but in their defense we were eating it late, so it might have been great earlier. The location of the hotel is very convienent, with several restaurants and a mall nearby. We felt safe in the area and very welcomed by the hotel staff.

Room Tip: This hotel has suites available, if you need a little more space.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We recently stayed and found the Inn very nice. We had reserved a handicap accessible room and found we were not in one. The clerk at the front desk (her 4th night working) was very accommodating and found us a junior suite that was accessible. She let us have the suite for the regular room price. We decided to book a room 4 days later for our return leg of the trip. When we checked in we found out again no accessible room on the reservation. The clerk made her best attempt to find us what we needed to no avail. She did give us discount on the room and comped our breakfast. The hotel was full and she did her best. Would stay again, but be very specific about the type of room needed when making the reservation

1  Thank danbear52
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stayed here overnight with my family. This is a solid hotel that you could conceivably spend an entire week in. The rooms were very clean and even the basic two queen bed room comes equipped with a leather sofa and coffee table, making it very comfortable place to relax. This room also had a microwave, mini-fridge and coffee maker with about ten additional outlets. The beds are also clean and VERY comfortable! The pool and work-out room were very nice for being in a basic chain hotel. There isn't a lot to do immediately near the hotel, but there are a few resturants on the same street.

Room Tip: HolidayInn.com lists this hotel as having smoking and non-smoking rooms, but recently they changed t...
1  Thank jpritchard110
Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

I have found this the best hotel in the area over the past 5 years. I am a Hilton chain fan but this HI has been my mainstay while visiting about 20 days a year on average. Most recently, my wife and I stayed at this hotel during Marshall University Graduation Week. They were at max capacity but still managed to satisfy all of my requests. A large number of the staff have been there for a fairly long time and many are students working to pay for college. They know the area restaurants and will give you honest and accurate recommendations. Fat Patty's is close by and good for burgers and other bar food. Local favorite from just off Marshall's campus to the 2nd one close to the hotel. My room was clean and ready for my arrival and did have a small issue that was taken care of quickly. The continental breakfast was convenient and adequate as one would expect. I saw a group of folks having an informal grad party off of the lobby and bar and saw that the restaurant had helped them with plates/silverware for their cake and snacks that they had brought into the hotel. Very nice of the staff to help out on a no-notice event to make it a successful celebration.

As with any business, thing aren't always smooth sailing and things happen that make us upset frequent a frequent traveler, I have learned what is or isn't within the ability for immediate resolution so easy to judge things on a single series of events. However, I have never had a problem that was ignored or given any attitude by anyone at this hotel. To all of us, there's no place like home so it is easy to not be comfortable at strange surroundings. Regardless, I highly recommend the Holiday Inn in Barboursville.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank JimmyC2011
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I along with eight family members stayed at the Holiday Inn this past weekend (5-4 thru 5-6). We had four rooms on the third floor. We found the location desirable with easy access and plenty of parking. The grounds we well kept and the building appeared quite new. Upon arrival the gentleman working the front desk was very helpfull in straightening out a lost reservation for my neice. Our room was ready on time and was clean. The sofa and bench seat were very nice as we were visiting family in other rooms all weekend. The only downfall was that the microwave beeped nonstop even when we were not using it. I unplugged it, called the desk and was told it would be fixed by 11am the next day.
On friday night I asked the front desk for a cork screw, they did not have one available however, the lady working the bar gladly let me take one to my room to use for the night. I returned it to her before we went to bed. I really wish I had gotten the womans name at the bar as she was so friendly and was most certainly the LAST good service we got from the hotel bar :(
Saturday morning we attempted to use the microwave to cook our instant breakfasts but the microwave would not work at all (still beeped). My husband took our breakfasts down to the front desk to inquire where he could heat them up. He was directed to the bar. Upon asking the woman working the bar how he could get the food heated up, she replied that she could not do it. My husband insisted that the front desk said she could. After about a 10min run around and argument with the bartender, she offered to take out microwave breakfasts back to the chef to see what he could do with them. At this point we could not wait any longer as we were going to be late for Marshall's commencement ceremony. We left the hotel angry and hungry to sit through graduation.
We were happy to find that the microwave in our room was fixed to the point where it could cook food, but it never did stop beeping. We simply pulled out the tv and unplugged the microwave when not using it. Also, the hotel was able to check in our fourth room early before the 3pm check in time. That was a nice perk as my neice was looking forward to relaxing after her graduation all morning and I was able to get into the room to decoate it and stock the fridge with wine and goodies!
Saturday night, my neice called the front desk to ask for a corkscrew. They told her she could stop at the bar and grab one. She went down to the bar to inquire about getting a corkscrew. The bartender with very much attitude explained that she does not give them out and that whenever she wants a bottle uncorked she will have to bring it down to the bar. I then offered to take it down for her as I was going to grab something from the car anyway. When I stepped up to the bar, she literally snatched the bottle from me, uncorked it, slammed it back down and walked into the back room. Her attitude and service were unacceptable for any establishement but especially a holiday inn hotel bar. I am still not sure why I was allowed to take the corkscrew to my room on friday night, but on saturday it became such an issue. I have stayed at other cheaper hotel chains and called for a corkscrew only to have it delivered to my room and been told to keep it!!
With the exception of the hotel being at capacity with one elevator out of service,the rest of our stay was lovely. The pool was alot of fun for everyone and the workout room is very nice and actually quite large for a hotel.
Upon checking out, I explained the service I received from the bar the night before, the woman working the desk knew exactly who I was talking about and gave me and empathetic "I'm so sorry". With a few staff changes, the Holiday Inn Barboursvill would be just great!

Room Tip: This hotel actually does have a continential breakfast. They do not tell you this at checkin but th...
1  Thank traveltilwerebroke
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

Dear traveltilwerebroke,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased you enjoyed your room accommodations as well as the convenient location of our hotel. I apologize you received poor service from our staff at the bar. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barboursville
Hampton Inn Huntington / Barboursville
Red Roof Inn Huntington
Red Roof Inn Huntington
#3 of 12 in Huntington
Fairfield Inn & Suites Huntington

Been to Holiday Inn Barboursville? Share your experiences!