“Best Hotel In Barboursville/Huntington Area”

Holiday Inn Barboursville
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Barboursville
Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

I have found this the best hotel in the area over the past 5 years. I am a Hilton chain fan but this HI has been my mainstay while visiting about 20 days a year on average. Most recently, my wife and I stayed at this hotel during Marshall University Graduation Week. They were at max capacity but still managed to satisfy all of my requests. A large number of the staff have been there for a fairly long time and many are students working to pay for college. They know the area restaurants and will give you honest and accurate recommendations. Fat Patty's is close by and good for burgers and other bar food. Local favorite from just off Marshall's campus to the 2nd one close to the hotel. My room was clean and ready for my arrival and did have a small issue that was taken care of quickly. The continental breakfast was convenient and adequate as one would expect. I saw a group of folks having an informal grad party off of the lobby and bar and saw that the restaurant had helped them with plates/silverware for their cake and snacks that they had brought into the hotel. Very nice of the staff to help out on a no-notice event to make it a successful celebration.

As with any business, thing aren't always smooth sailing and things happen that make us upset frequent a frequent traveler, I have learned what is or isn't within the ability for immediate resolution so easy to judge things on a single series of events. However, I have never had a problem that was ignored or given any attitude by anyone at this hotel. To all of us, there's no place like home so it is easy to not be comfortable at strange surroundings. Regardless, I highly recommend the Holiday Inn in Barboursville.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank JimmyC2011

Reviewed May 8, 2012

I along with eight family members stayed at the Holiday Inn this past weekend (5-4 thru 5-6). We had four rooms on the third floor. We found the location desirable with easy access and plenty of parking. The grounds we well kept and the building appeared quite new. Upon arrival the gentleman working the front desk was very helpfull in straightening out a lost reservation for my neice. Our room was ready on time and was clean. The sofa and bench seat were very nice as we were visiting family in other rooms all weekend. The only downfall was that the microwave beeped nonstop even when we were not using it. I unplugged it, called the desk and was told it would be fixed by 11am the next day.
On friday night I asked the front desk for a cork screw, they did not have one available however, the lady working the bar gladly let me take one to my room to use for the night. I returned it to her before we went to bed. I really wish I had gotten the womans name at the bar as she was so friendly and was most certainly the LAST good service we got from the hotel bar :(
Saturday morning we attempted to use the microwave to cook our instant breakfasts but the microwave would not work at all (still beeped). My husband took our breakfasts down to the front desk to inquire where he could heat them up. He was directed to the bar. Upon asking the woman working the bar how he could get the food heated up, she replied that she could not do it. My husband insisted that the front desk said she could. After about a 10min run around and argument with the bartender, she offered to take out microwave breakfasts back to the chef to see what he could do with them. At this point we could not wait any longer as we were going to be late for Marshall's commencement ceremony. We left the hotel angry and hungry to sit through graduation.
We were happy to find that the microwave in our room was fixed to the point where it could cook food, but it never did stop beeping. We simply pulled out the tv and unplugged the microwave when not using it. Also, the hotel was able to check in our fourth room early before the 3pm check in time. That was a nice perk as my neice was looking forward to relaxing after her graduation all morning and I was able to get into the room to decoate it and stock the fridge with wine and goodies!
Saturday night, my neice called the front desk to ask for a corkscrew. They told her she could stop at the bar and grab one. She went down to the bar to inquire about getting a corkscrew. The bartender with very much attitude explained that she does not give them out and that whenever she wants a bottle uncorked she will have to bring it down to the bar. I then offered to take it down for her as I was going to grab something from the car anyway. When I stepped up to the bar, she literally snatched the bottle from me, uncorked it, slammed it back down and walked into the back room. Her attitude and service were unacceptable for any establishement but especially a holiday inn hotel bar. I am still not sure why I was allowed to take the corkscrew to my room on friday night, but on saturday it became such an issue. I have stayed at other cheaper hotel chains and called for a corkscrew only to have it delivered to my room and been told to keep it!!
With the exception of the hotel being at capacity with one elevator out of service,the rest of our stay was lovely. The pool was alot of fun for everyone and the workout room is very nice and actually quite large for a hotel.
Upon checking out, I explained the service I received from the bar the night before, the woman working the desk knew exactly who I was talking about and gave me and empathetic "I'm so sorry". With a few staff changes, the Holiday Inn Barboursvill would be just great!

Room Tip: This hotel actually does have a continential breakfast. They do not tell you this at checkin but th...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank traveltilwerebroke
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

Dear traveltilwerebroke,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased you enjoyed your room accommodations as well as the convenient location of our hotel. I apologize you received poor service from our staff at the bar. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 2, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was awesome, great rooms with two very comfy beds and a leather sofa!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed February 28, 2012

The location of the Holiday Inn in Barboursville is perfect, right off the highway, and close to shopping and restaurants. The Hotel was clean & updated. The rooms were ok. Carpet should have been swept better. Dust and red wine stains under the coffee table next to couch.
Staff friendly & helpful. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BSB_7
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Holiday checked our family into a room not approved by the Health Deptartment after which we learned had been flooded. Black mold found in the tub and other bathroom fixtures.No room towels, no internet service,no bedding for pull out couch...and the room was just NOT CLEAN.Complains resulted in a room change the next day after Pam(manager) alerted us the room was NOT FIT for occupation. We noticed all three of our children got sick over the next couple days. We requested Holiday Inn to call the Health Department to do a room inspection and let us know the findings so we would know if there were any health risks from staying in a mold room from the first night. Told by front desk management they call the Health Dept. but they were back logged and not able to come during our week stay.My wife then called the Health Department and they informed us they were never notified by Holiday Inn...the Health Dept. did arrive upon our request within 2 hours from our request. Health Dept. is still looking into this matter and have requested our recordings of all things wrong with the room.Shame on Holiday Inn in Barboursville...Profit before People is the beginning of the end. BEWARE!!

Room Tip: Inspect your rooms for mold, especially the jets in the bathtub.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank John A
Reviewed December 30, 2011

This will always be our choice hotel when coming to Huntington. The heated pool and hot tub makes the trip so relaxing when getting away for the weekend. The computer desk and office chair is extremely nice when using the laptop. The room service is great when wanting to be lazy, my husband and I would highly recommend the steak with eggs and hashbrowns for breakfast. Another plus is that the bathroom is big enough to turn around in with good counter space.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Barbousville, WV for a soccer tournament a few weeks ago. Reservations were made a week in advance for Friday and Saturday night; however, during our 4 hour drive, I asked my husband to give the hotel a heads-up that we would be arriving late. When he called he was told that NO RESERVATION WAS ON FILE, but she could get us a room for Saturday. Are you kidding me? Of course all hotels in the Barbousville area were booked due to the soccer tournament, so we ended up staying in Charleston and driving the remainder of the way in the morning.

The stay itself was fine, but losing our reservation.....very stressful.

Upon check-out Sunday morning the only bill we were aware of was for a single night. When we got home I checked our visa account, and SURPRISE they not only charged us for the Saturday we stayed, but for the additional Fri and Sat...remember, the reservation they said they didn't have! I called the hotel Monday and explained the situation, I was told the financial officer would contact me the next day and it would be taken care of. No call Tuesday or Wednesday. On Thursday my husband called, he was told that another couple (in our same soccer league) was not charged for their room, instead it was charged to our credit account. It gets better...he was also told that the hotel was going to contact the couple and only after they paid the bill would we be reimbursed! What a rip off! It's the hotels fault, but we have to wait, and what happens if the other couple doesn't pay?! They weren't too quick to post a charge to our account, but we still have not seen the reimbursement!

In addition within our soccer league, another parent that ha made reservations was told she did not have a room, and yet another parent was double billed.

Yes, they are friendly, and the facilities were clean, but if we visit Kohl's Cup next year, I bet we stay at the Comfort Inn.

As of today, we have not heard from the hotel, and I plan on contacting the corporate offices too.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barboursville
Hampton Inn Huntington / Barboursville
Red Roof Inn Huntington
Red Roof Inn Huntington
#3 of 12 in Huntington
Holiday Inn Express Winfield - Teays Valley

Been to Holiday Inn Barboursville? Share your experiences!