“Fish Tacos are Excellent!”

Santiagos Gourmet Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 250 Restaurants in Yakima
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are the leading Yakima Mexican Restaurant winning awards and recognition throughout the Northwest. Santiago's is Yakima's favorite restaurant to have been published within Northwest Best Places... And for over three decades of continuous recognition. We offer the largest Tequila selection North of the Border, a large selection of local Microbrews on tap as well as our Award-Winning Wine selection. Also, enjoy our outdoor dining. Our efforts have been rewarded as recipients of "Best Mexican Restaurant", "Best Place to take a Client to Lunch" and "Best Wine List" from numerous newspapers/magazines publications and readers polls. The Daily Farmers of Washington awarded Santiago's First-Place in the 2002 "Washington's Best Nachos" recipes contest. Our winning recipe: Chili con Queso is outstanding! It took first place again in 2003!
Yakima, Washington
“Fish Tacos are Excellent!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

It's a small restaurant with good food. The lights are dim and the music is at a low volume. The portions are big, usually enough to share with two people. I love the fish tacos! I was skeptical at first, fish in tacos? But then I had one and they are now my favorite food, very good flavor, with a great white sauce that you add on yourself. They are gigantic, so I share or bring one home for the next day. The salsa is different than the usual mexican restaurant and the chips are good too. The shrimp ceviche is a delicious appetizer. They have a bar that is separated from the restaurant, so if you have a small party and they're busy, I recommend trying to get in there. There is parallel parking in front (yuck!), but there is a parking lot in the back that has plenty of room. Just go in the back door and someone will seat you from there. Also, I have brought my kids, but I prefer to visit Santiago's with adults.

• Visited September 2012

Seattle, Washington
“Chile verde was great”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Located on Yakima's main drag, we saw this place during the summer and it was crowded and live music was playing. We didn't eat there then, but had to check it out now and it was good. The restaurant was empty and the service fine. But we sat in a booth in what felt like a long hallway and consequently had to deal with the waitstaff racing back and forth - and its an old building so the floors shook everytime one stomped by (why were they in a rush? there was no one there?).
Don't get the chile con queso even though they supposedly won some award for it... The glompy (you know what cheese sauce looks like when the cheese doesn't blend enough with the cream to create a smooth dippable sauce?) - it was an adventure filled appetizer with unending strings of cheese all over the place... Someone may think this is cool, but I know better - this was a poorly executed cheese sauce... BUT the chile verde was great, huge perfectly cooked chunks of pork smothered in a spicy green tomatillo and jalapeno sauce. Thank goodness my partner and I split it, there was so much food! I would go here again and skip the appetizer next time.
Also, you would think a "gourmet" restaurant would serve margaritas made with fresh squeezed juices... Nope - ours were obviously made with that mix you can get at your local grocery store. So I would order a beer next time or just water.

Tacoma, WA
“Always fast with great flavor”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I always visit When in town and have never been disappointed. It's not your standard chain Mexican menue which I like but it does have things for the spice wary eater. The flavors are really good.

Spokane, WA
“Great food, but slow service.”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

If you have a party of 10, be prepared to wait an hour for your food to arrive. The food was wonderful, though, and big plates.

Vancouver, Washington
“tastes good but very fattening”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

service was good but a lot of oil was used in the food. A little pricey too. My meal was around 30.00 for two enchiladas

Visited September 2012

Been to Santiagos Gourmet Mexican Restaurant? Share your experiences!