“Still Crazy After All These Years”
Review of Portteus Vineyards

Portteus Vineyards
Ranked #8 of 52 things to do in Yakima
Denver
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Still Crazy After All These Years”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Paul Portteus was one of the first to open a winery in the Yakima Valley. I have been visiting his winery for 23 years. Though Paul has a reputation as being a bit on the eclectic side, his wines are still awesome.A must stop on anyone's tour of Wineries. Many years ago he took us back to the cellar for some rather extensive barrel tasting. An experience I'll never forget.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Deadhead02

a city by a lake, WA
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Great selection for tasting!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

First of all, I will mention that while we enjoy wines, we are not experts. This is one of the wineries I had on my list to check out on our Zillah/Yakima Valley visit. I had researched ahead of time and found the founder's story interesting. I also liked the idea of checking out one of the earliest wineries in the area.

The tasting room has a warehouse feel, no frills. The counter is long which was nice because there were a lot of people. It's set up with the lighter wines on the left and you work your way right to the fuller bodied wines.

They don't encourage bouncing back and forth. We instead skipped because we had been to two wineries prior. We started with an Orange Malbec which was quite sweet. We got a bottle for a hot summer day when I want something sweet and as a gift. This would be a good wine for beginners, I think. We skipped down to the 2011 Zinfandel because my husband likes red zins. We got a bottle of that. We wanted to compare the 2010 Late Harvest Zinfandel to that and skipped down toward the end of the available wines to taste. That one is rich and has almost a port taste to it. We both really enjoyed that one and got a bottle for ourselves and one as a gift.

I didn't notice a fee to taste but if there was one, no doubt it was applied to our purchase. We also didn't notice a limit to the number we could taste but there is a sign that says something along the lines of if you appear intoxicated they will stop serving you. Well behaved kids are allowed. They have a wine game for sale and the display occupied our children.

We would probably visit this winery again if in the area and start out with it so we could try more.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank wannabefolkie
Seattle
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Lots of wines to sample.”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have always enjoyed going to Porteus. The wines are good and inexpensive. I would plan on getting some of these for every day drinkers....pizza wine.

Visited May 2013
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 154 helpful votes
“So many vineyards to choose. Stop here.”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Fantastic. Sangiovese and the "Rattlesnake Red". Very friendly staff. You can't ask for a better experience. Ask them to give you a suggestion for the next vineyards to stop at.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Acmeflower
Selah, Washington
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Best reds in Yakima Valley”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Paul Portteus and his disciples have pretty much perfected the water into wine miracle. He makes many varieties of red wine which are among the best in the entire Yakiima Valley. Of particular interest are any designated as "old vine"; they are uniformly spectacular.

Visited December 2011