“Are you kidding me?!?!?”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Blackwood Canyon - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Blackwood Canyon
Portland, Oregon
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Are you kidding me?!?!?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

Really, we are open to people who are eccentric, which is why we decided to visit Blackwood Canyon. We enjoy 'another take' on the norm, but Mike is way beyond that.. The wines we tasted, before fleeing, tasted of vinegar as others have said. The place is filthy & we were met by a growling dog. He was beyond wasted when we got there, I will spare you the details. Don't waste yor time. I believe there is a hint of genius there, but it's obscured by addiction. Very sad...he needs some serious help.

Visited May 2011
4 Thank LindaLee50

nj
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“JUST GO FOR THE EXPERIENCE, ONE TIME IS ENOUGH”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2010

We went to visit the wine nazi and what a show. The tasting room had about 2.5 million fruit nats and you had to cover your glass. Mike was like 5 sheets to the wind when we arrived. He was shirtless, shoeless and wine stains all over him. He kept taking out little-little bits of cheese that he said was like from the french caves maturing for 50 years.

For tastings he would climb barefoot on the wine barrels till he reached the top one, then pull out a siphon hose and take the wine out by mouth, yes mouth. All the while he was going on about his technique and the rest of the wineries were in it for the money but not him.

He was cool though because the more you listen to him, the more samples he gave out including to himself. By the end, he was basically 7 sheets to the wind. Cool.

The wine itself is a question. Some tasted like vermoth, other like vinegar. His 10 yr old chard was orangy. All in All, you must experience this eccentric wino-wine-maker. if visiting, I will return just to see the show. The other tasting rooms are so generic every where you go that it's not like fun. more phony. With Mike, it's the presentation will make you interested, or just want to leave.

1 Thank toloro
tricities washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“This place insults our wonderful wine region! The wine-maker is nuts.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

Our visit to Blackwood Canyon Winery is an experience I won't soon forget. Attracted by the signs many times on Sunset Road that say, "Old School Wine Tasting"....we finally gave in to our curiosity and drove back into the field and worked our way to the so-called "winery". Immediately your noses were overwhelmed with the stench of vinegar and rotting fruit. The tasting room host was barefoot and disheveled. He quickly told us that tasting is $10.00 each, let him collect and he'll "get us caught up" with the rest of the tasters. We figured out he was Michael Moore, the Winemaker. Each "taste" comes with a long and drawn out story of his philosophy of wine-making, small tastes of cheese that he hands to you with his knife and fingers! He slams the other winemakers in our area and brags that he is the only one who knows anything about really making wine. He calls all the other wines produced in our region "cocktail" wines, and goes on and on about sur lies aging. He says everyone else came in here and ruined the industry! We left 1/2 way through the tasting after I noticed he was bleeding from a cut or scratch on the back of his leg! Gross! I haven't even touched on how filthy the place is.....I don't recommend it at all.

4 Thank tjpete
Tacoma
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Unique enough to try!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2010

You will either love it or hate - there is no in between!
But please appreciate that Blackwood Canyon tries to be different on purpose.
I've visited the winery several times in the last three years and brought friends and family members to expereience the difference. And frankly, there are some that won't go back and others that enjoyed the wines but none have forgotten the trip.
I'm in the catagory of enjoying the wines and also the very personnalized service from the creator (winemaker Michael Moore) who will take all the time needed to answer your questions (you will have some, trust me) and pour you generous samples to taste. In my oppinion, too many winemakers don't give this personal touch or perhaps they are not really confident enough to stand face to face to see your reaction to that first sip. Not a problem at Blackwood Canyon. I think Michael Moore understands that not everyone will be a fan but at least he is willing to take that chance on a product he really seems to believe in.

2 Thank Weasal77
Owings Mills, md
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A unique tasting experience (thankfully - I'd stop buying Washington wine otherwise)”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2010

Although there is a certain amusement value to visiting Blackwood Canyon, I would otherwise not recommend this place. The wines here are uniformly awful; most are over acidified, maderized, etc. The winemaker, while quite passionate about the wines he makes, apparently has no clue when it comes to making good wine. He likes to tell unsuspecting visitors that his wine is made in the "old world" method, which in this case means he ages them for years (whites and reds) in old, basically neutral oak barrels, to the point where the wines are dead as a doornob. He will then tell you that this is how wine is supposed to taste, that everyone else is doing it wrong, and that wine publications like the Wine Spectator and Robert Parker are complete idiots (or worse).

As a joke, I brought a friend to Blackwood Canyon (she now refers to it as Backass Canyon), and if I hadn't warned her in advance what to expect, it might have ruined our friendship. She thought the winemaker crazy (he's very passionate, though I guess I could see where someone might describe him as deranged), and the wines horrible. A dry riesling in particular tasted more like pickle juice then wine, but pretty much everything we tasted was either off or just plain terrible. My friend had a very upset stomach by the time we left (the winemaker insisted on opening up more and more wine, convinced he would finally find something we liked), and required a considerable amount of Alsatian gewurz later that evening to restore herself in Walla Walla.

While I didn't enjoy any of the wines, if you visit this winery in Spring, Summer or Fall, you'll see that Blackwood Canyon wines are very well thought of by the local fruit fly population.

Caveat Emptor is the rule when tasting wine here.

1 Thank johnthebodiless