“Decent accomodations for our bizarre little family weekend trip.”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Yakima
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
Seattle, Washington
“Decent accomodations for our bizarre little family weekend trip.”
Reviewed January 25, 2010

My hubby and I took a little spring fever vacation to Yakima in April '09. Our two kids are old enough now to enjoy the spirit of travel, so we decided to stay in Yakima and explore the surrounding area.

Check in was quick, courteous and made us feel relaxed and comfortable after our 3 hour drive from Seattle. Everytime we had to interact with the front desk it was a polite and warm exprience.

The hotel itself is a bit of a drive from "downtown" Yakima. We didn't mind, everything was a quick recommendation and a short drive. Our room was small but new, clean, comfortable. We were fine for two nights but any longer might have felt cramped with the four of us. Our fat old dog was even in there with us, but we were cozy and didn't spend time in the room.
We had a view of a warehouse from or window and part of a hill, which actually wasn't bad for gazing. There were large tumbleweeds blown up against the fence that surrounded the warehouse and there was a stretch of
pretty desert prarie to the west.
The kids had been promised pool time so we did that before heading out to dinner. Our only issue was with the chemicals in the pool-we told the front desk and they seemed puzzled but said they would look into it.
Breakfast is free during certain hours and was full of people when we got there ( the hotel seemed pretty full) but some people who were lingering got up when they saw us come
in. Like I said the room was full but it was pleasant. There was living room area where people were chatting, reading and watching the news. The breakfast attendant was busy refilling everything but was extremely cheerful and helped me get a spoon for my darn cereal. There were some Jimmy Dean braleakfast sandwiches, a waffle iron with a batter squirting doohicky, which was fun, fruit, coffee juice and cereals, all self serve. There was
othe stuff I can't remember. For what we paid, a free breakfast was awesome and we were fed and happy till lunch (gigantic hamburgers from a interesting local fast food restaurant but that's another review).
Our experience was a fresh, new, courteous and affordable place so exactly right for us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Tracy, California
Reviewed December 13, 2009

The sheer number of things that were wrong with my room leads me to believe that I was just plain unlucky this trip. So without being overly harsh, and trying to not be too picky, here is what was wrong with my stay.

1. The heat did not work right, in that it came on and blew warm air for a little while, and then started blowing cold air like the AC was on. I figured it was the just thermostat, so I turned it up as high as it would go - but it would still blow cold air after a few minutes. This made for very cold sleeping conditions.

2. Due to the heating problem, I pulled out the spare blankets from the closet - only to discover they were both soiled with mud. I left them out on the bed to allow housekeeping to see the mud, but apparently that is the normal state, since they floded them back up and put them back in the closet still soiled.

3. So after a cold night of sleeping under dirty blankets, I needed a nice hot shower in the morning. While the water pressure was good, the maximum temperature was just above lukewarm, which was disappointing.

4. I also tried to work some in my hotel room, only to discover that the desk chair height placed the desk surface somewhere around level with my chest. Perhaps they usually only rent that room to giants, but for my part, I found it necessary to sit on my luggage in order to type on my laptop comfortably.

5. And for the piece-de-resistance, there was literally a turd of excrement under the desk, left by some former furry inhabitant of the room. So, I went to the front desk and let them know - and they said they would let housekeeping know about it the next day so it could be cleaned up. I rather expected them to clean it up right then (being unsanitary and all), but whatever.

I placed a piece of paper next to it so the housekeeper would know what the fuss was about. Now here's the fun part - the housekeeper discarded the paper but left the turd. So apparently it's an amenity, not refuse as I had thought. Upon informing the front desk that the turd was still there, they said the manager would "have a talk with the housekeeping" the next day. Well, that's awesome, but how about cleaning up the crap sometime too?

As for the other amenities... I can only comment on the ones I used. The room had a 4 cu ft fridge and a microwave (though power outlet constraints meant that you had to unplug the light in order to plug in the microwave). The fitness center consists of three treadmills and an old TV. The "pool" is about 8ft x 14ft (so not big enough to swim laps, but larger than a bathtub). And the complimentary continental breakfast has a the normal stuff along with a waffle maker and frozen egg sandwiches.

So, all in all, the amenities do little to ameliorate the non-working heating, broken chair, and downright unsanitary conditions, and I believe this hotel would be best avoided given the other alternatives - my colleagues tell me their experience with the nearby Holiday Inn Express was at least more sanitary.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Kelso, WA
Reviewed December 5, 2009

The service was friendly and the rooms were clean. The location was the worst feature. I arrived hungry and found that if I wanted something other than ordered in pizza, I would have to drive another 10 minutes to find a restaurant. Nothing is on site or within walking distance - no restaurants, lounges or entertainment. On the subject of food the free breakfast was substandard. The options were limited to toast, cold cereal, yogurt and microwaveable sausage biscuits. For the room price it was just unacceptable. This hotel is probably best for people who are tired and just want a place to sleep. Even then it is overpriced. It is not a good value.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Montrose, CO
Reviewed September 5, 2009

We stayed here on points, so it was free. However, the hotel could use some serious updates. The room we were given had matteresses on the beds that were foam and only about 4 inches thick. You were practically on the floor. The dead bolt lock on the door and been torn off and put back on with gorilla glue. On the plus side, the bathroom was nice and had a great shower. Breakfast area fine and has good variety.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
aloha
Reviewed April 21, 2009

great hotel, very new. easy access, re-developing area. Staff actually called when they said they would to let us know when our room was ready.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed January 2, 2009

After a few of the last reviews, we weren't sure what to expect when deciding to stay at the Fairfield in Yakima. We were pleasantly surprised at how comfortable our stay was. My husband, 2 teen boys and I stayed for 4 nights over Christmas.

Attention to detail:
First thing I noticed is that they are not using the old style typical bedspread that never gets laundered. Like many of the high end hotels, the Fairfield has gone to a bed sash at the bottom of the bed for decor so that you know your bedding is all fresh and clean.

Then onto the bathroom. Clean, clean, clean. The shower has GREAT water pressure! There is nothing like a nice strong shower to wake up to, and we all took a little longer in the shower each day. The bowed shower curtain again is another plus that we often don't see except in the high end hotels. We love these and the extra room they allow while showering. The shampoo and conditioner were in smart thin little containers, no sense of waste with these. Towels were limited to one for each of us, so we asked for extras and were accomodated with immediate response from housekeeping. We only asked once, and extra towels were supplied each day for the rest of our stay.

The room was ample. Two queen beds, a bedside upright chair, a desk and chair, dresser w/TV and a closet. For the 4 of us, we found it to be quite comfortable. It wasn't oversized, but we weren't in a suite either. Having recently stayed in NYC, we felt the room was plenty big for us.

Finally, we get to the rest of the hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful each time we encountered them. From calls before our stay, to the check-in, to encounters at breakfast and needing change for the vending machines, we were met with a smile and customer service attitudes. The breakfast was much more than we have found at other hotels that boast a complimentary breakfast. There were, from left to right, waffle batter and maker; fruit; danishes; toast and bagels; oatmeal w/raisins, cranberries and brown sugar; hard boiled eggs; bacon or sausage w/egg and cheese biscuits; yogurt; milk, chocolate milk, several juices and coffee. No matter how tight our time was with family, we never skipped breakfast during our stay. There is also a nice seating area off the lobby that has a fireplace and TV; we used this area one night and felt like we were home in our own family room.

Overall we were quite pleased that our visit to Yakima was made more comfortable with our stay at the Fairfield. Yes, there are higher end hotels with more "luxury", but for us, the Fairfield hit all the right spots with the cleanliness, their friendly service, and making us feel at home. Next time we have the need to visit Yakima, we will definitely stay here again!

• Liked — The cleanliness, with updated linens and shower.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Icefamily4
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 18, 2008

We stayed one night here on our way from SLC to Vancouver, Canada. One of the first things I noticed was that the hotel lists its address on Marriott's website as 137 N Fair Ave yet right in front of the hotel is a mail box with a totally different number on it. Our GPS was also confused.

This hotel was your typical FI....we had a room with 2 queens and a sofa bed. As usual the sofa was not made up and while I was unloading the car, I stopped at the front desk to request it be made up. The man at the counter looked at me like I was an alien. He couldn't understand what I meant. The other attendant at the desk had to explain to him that I wanted the sofa bed made up. Ummm...that's what I said! Then he had to gall to tell me that the linen was in the closet and I could make it up myself! I explained that in all our previous stays at FIs, housekeeping had done this for us. He then decided to ring them for me. So nice of him!

The room was fine otherwise...well except for the fact that the angle of the sofa bed made it almost impossible to get past it to the bathroom while it was open. A bit tricky in the middle of the night. The bathroom itself was clean and there were lots of towels. I love the Pantene shampoo/conditioner that is supplied. It's a great little bottle.

Breakfast was the usual affair with some hot items including the egg/cheese english muffins that you could heat in the microwave. My daughter loves these!

There was one other small problem.....out of the three ice machines on the three floors, only the one on the second floor worked. There was no freezer in the fridge in our room for me to re-freeze my cooler blocks so I had to rely on ice. I had to traverse the whole hotel looking for it. When I finally got to the second floor, a maintenance man who had happened to ride the elevator with me twice, noticed what I was doing and asked me if any of the other machines were working. When I told him no, he said he would fix it. Maybe no one else noticed.

• Liked — Proximity to shops
  • Disliked — Sofa bed not made up
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Ozstitcher