“Stayed Multiple Times and Will Not Return”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Yakima
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
Napa, California
“Stayed Multiple Times and Will Not Return”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

I come to Yakima frequently and as a platinum member of Marriott awards program typically stay at Marriott properties around the world. Have stayed at this one a number of times, despite my poor impression of the property. After the stay this week I will not ever stay there again, and I would encourage you to look elsewhere as well. The hotel is undergoing renovation and I stayed in a renovated room. Not good. The rooms are small and cramped. The new color scheme makes them feel even smaller. Very stark and uninviting, and the jet-powered air conditioner will blow you out of the room. New wall paper in the bathroom was already damaged. Also, the hotel is in a bad part of town - only convenient if you are coming off the Interstate and don't want to see the city. Lots of vacant lots and buildings around the property. Poorly maintained on the outside. Nowhere safe to walk to besides a tacky, expensive burger place. Try the Garden Inn, or other property.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
David E, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Yakima, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are very saddened that you did not like the newly renovated rooms. Damage does occur and we try to get items fixed as soon as we can, but unfortunately sometimes we accidentally rent a room before repairs can be made. There’s not a lot we can do about the vacant lots, since we don’t own them. But we are only 2 blocks from downtown and about 32 seconds from the convention center. The renovation is almost complete, maybe you can visit us again when the hotel will more quiet and relaxed with all the construction completed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Everett, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

The staff was very friendly and welcoming. The hotel was undergoing a very needed renovation when we visited which kept me from rating it higher. It is conveniently located to the freeway entrance / exit. One negative for me was the elevator - I think this hotel has the slowest elevator I have ever experienced. The hotel had ample parking and the exterior was well maintained.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
David E, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Yakima, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you for your review, we appreciate that you took the time write it and submit it. I agree we have friendly Front Desk personnel; we try to make everyone feel welcome. We also wanted to let you know that we agree! We needed a thorough renovation and that is what we are doing; all the rooms, lobby, breakfast area, hallway carpets—everything—all new mattress too! We will be done in late September. If you’re ever back in Yakima please stop by and stay with us again!
Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We spent 8/23 Friday night at this property. We were advised of renovation when I called the hotel before making on-line reservations, which I always do. At our check-in they again reiterated the remodeling and put us at the opisite end of the hotel to minimize the impact.
Our updated room was EXCELLENT! Stylish and quiet. Some construction dust in the elevator but really, not an issue. The pool and hot tub, clean and relaxing. Breakfast-I can say the girls working to keep it clean and filled were doing a GREAT job. Plenty of food even 1/2 hour before it ended, we sat and read the local paper with our coffee. I was so hesitant to stay here but the other hotels seemed worse and we have usually had good luck with Marriott, so we took the chance and it paid off. We will stay at this property again headed through this area!
I just want them to install a bigger swimming pool!

Room Tip: Call ahead at any hotel to find out the latest on road construction, hotel renovation, big groups li...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, we appreciate it! I am glad to hear that you were advised and saw the renovation alert and took a chance with us! I agree the renovated rooms are nice! And we are almost done—only one more floor to go! The breakfast area will be finished next and then the last phase—the lobby area! We hope to see you again in the future and you can enjoy all the new rooms.
Cornwall, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We usually always stay with the Marriott family but this was our first Fairfield stay. Our family of four stayed for 2 nights while we visited the incredible wine country(another review) after visiting Mount Rainier and pre cruise out of Seattle. Location: great, close to the highway and down town area, but difficult to get to due to the many one way roads. Parking lot appeared messy and congested, probably due to the renovation going on. Room: comfortable and clean but difficult to adjust temperature on air conditioner. Breakfast: above standard in my opinion. Coffee was good
and a large selection of breakfast items, which were restocked quickly when empty. Perk: Clean laundry room with clean washer and dryers(coin operated) for quests to use. Staff: Polite and informative. Evening girl suggested a close and great Mexican place for dinner! Loved the cookies on check in, sad to not find them on Friday.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
David E, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Yakima, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for your review, we appreciate it! I agree we have friendly Front Desk personnel; their enthusiasm and helpfulness is a hallmark we strive to exceed with all our guests. We have a good location, freeway close and also convenient for getting around Yakima quickly and effortlessly, but the one-way streets can be a little tricky to get used to! We hope to see you again in the future and you can enjoy the local fruit stands to compliment your wine tour.
Huntsville, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have platinum status with Marriott and have a request for a room on a high floor in my profile but I was placed on the middle floor in a room adjacent to the linen room which resulted in my room being smaller than others. When I saw the room I thought about asking to be moved but decided not to bother as it was already 9:00 p.m. and I was only spending one night. I had to struggle to find a place for my suitcases and had to move the coffee service behind the TV to do so. There was no microwave or regrigerator in the room but there was no space for these items in the room anyway. Things did start out better as the welcome was warm and there were some delicious cookies still sitting out at 10:00 p.m. The chocolate chip ones were delicious - thick and full of chips. The bed slept fine and the AC worked well. The cover was a little light but I was fine with my AC setting as I didn’t have it too low. The hotel is being renovated (I noticed work on replacing carpeting in some rooms) - my room had the old carpet but it was fine. The carpet in the hallway is certainly ready to be replaced as it has shifted and rolled.
Breakfast was OK - Fairfield’s (FFI) have gone to hot breakfasts and this is the first FFI that I stayed in since the change that had home cooked oatmeal. It was so thick by the time I came down to breakfast (at 0800) that it wouldn’t fall off the spoon without a sharp whack. Nobody bothered to thin it with hot water as it sat cooking away! They had sausage gravy, sausage and eggs but the eggs are the rehydrated powder that iI can’t tolerate. They have kept the hard boiled eggs which is great. I poured my sausage gravy on those. The coffee was very good for an FFI (a lot of FFIs have coffee that is way too weak) and the OJ was nice too.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the rooms that adjacent to the housekeeping linen closet as those are very small (linen...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
David E, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Yakima, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for your review, we appreciate it. We apologize that your request could not be accommodated during this stay, unfortunately the third floor, was where the contractor chose to start and work his way down. All our rooms are the same size and the suitcase rack is in the closet, but available for those who choose to use it. It is true, however, that we are limited right now during the remodel on refrigerators and microwaves, but all rooms will have them by the end of the remodel. I agree that we have great chocolate chip cookies—and you were lucky--they are usually long gone by 10pm! We hope to see you again after the remodel and are able to stay on the upper floor!
Cleveland, Oh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Next to the freeway exit but enough far away to avoid traffic noise. It is nor far from downtown and next to a few restaurants. Standard design and furniture. The top floor is been renovated and the swimming pool outside was closed. The rooms were cleaned and everything was in perfect order. Breakfast was a little better than the standard Fairfield fare. The desk staff was local, informative, delightful and professional.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
David E, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Yakima, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for your review, we appreciate it! I agree we have friendly Front Desk personnel; from making reservations to checking our guests in, their enthusiasm and helpfulness is a hallmark we strive to exceed with all our guests. We do have a good location, freeway close and also convenient for getting around Yakima quickly and effortlessly. The pool and Jacuzzi were closed for a few days for re-plastering, new tiles and it is now open! So far everyone says it looks great and we think so too! We hope to see you again in the future so you can enjoy the new pool and the all the new rooms after the renovation is complete.
Matthews, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Comfortable sleeping quarters, but no mini-frig or microwave. We didn’t book this hotel to ‘stay’ in, we booked it to 'sleep' in. This worked out fine, a comfortable bed and a shower with plenty of hot water.
Our room had a view of the window corporation at the rear of the hotel, look over that building and you can see the barren hills to the north and east bordering the Yakima Valley.
The complimentary hot breakfast was good. The normal ‘stuff’, scrambled eggs, sausage or bacon, choice of bread, dry cereal, cut-up mixed fruit, juices, yogurt, coffee and make-your-own-waffle machine.
If wine tasting is your adventure, then, there are several within a short drive that can occupy your day.
We drove to Mt Rainier one day (driving time about 1½ hrs each way).
Across the street, in a small shopping center, is Target, WalMart is 1 mile away.
Do your want hamburgers? Bob’s Burger & Brew just steps out the front door of the Fairfield. Many other eateries within a mile drive.

Room Tip: If you are in need of - ASK for a room with MICROWAVE and REFRIGERATOR, not all rooms have these co...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
David E, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Yakima, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for your review! I have to admit yours is one of the most complete reviews I have ever read! The hills are barren--right now, but wait till winter! There are only a couple of things I would like to add, we are renovating right now and when we are finished every room will have a 2.2 cubic foot frig and microwave. There is also a BIG LOTS! and Office Max across the street and the Valley Mall is only 2 exits down the road (2 minutes at the most!) We also have winery maps available that show 30+ wineries just down the freeway in the lower valley. We hope that your travels will bring you back to Yakima in the future!