“Just OK....”

Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed at the Red lion for a business conference. Everything was OK. But it merits a few comments.

My room was clean and large. My King size bed was very comfortable. Bathroom towels are lush, not threadbare. The TV is a throwback to the 90's. Come on Red Lion, spend some $ and upgrade to flat screen TV's.

My room was on the first floor and I heard every step the occupant of the room above me took. Really annoying and distracting.

Like my room, the decor of the hotel is very dated and needs a refresh.

The lounge feels like it's in a time warp from the 80's: decor, music. Wait staff are nice but were incapable of being attentive even when not busy. Some training is in order.

Overall, this Red Lion is just OK. I'd probably look elsewhere the next time I come to Yakima.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
rlyakima, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

I am glad you found our guest rooms clean and comfortable. Currently the hotel has plans to purchase new falt screen televisions in 2014. I appreciate your comments and will pass them along to our corporate office regarding the decor and seeing what can be done about refeshing some areas of the hotel.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Hotel in general was more run down than other Red Lions I've stayed at but the rates were very reasonable. I booked my room 3 months in advance through Expedia and then added a second night about 3 weeks before my arrival through the hotel. Upon Friday check in, I confirmed my two night reservations and all seemed fine. In the morning, they ran my credit card a second time and I checked that my other sister would be staying with us Sat night. At that point, we seemed to have a Sat night reservation confirmed. The lady at the desk was pleasant and gave a number of a taxi we could take to the fair.

When we returned, tired with sore feet from the fair, dragging luggage up to the room around midnight, we found that we were locked out of the room. Tromped down the stairs and across the hotel campus to the front desk and she reactivated our keys. Tromped back across the campus and up the stairs on sore feet, opened the room to find that no housekeeping had been done, towels still on the floor, nothing restocked, beds not made but $5 tip and thank you that I had left was gone. Called for more towels. And dug the morning's coffee cups out of the garbage to have some tea before bed as staff was edgy after our complaining and being thin around midnight on a Sat.

At check out, they told us that we had no reservation for Sat night and they had locked us out - and not cleaned. The manager was nice and gave us $20 off our rate for the night and free continental breakfast.

However, this experience was very embarrassing to me as I was expected to have gotten a nice hotel for this trip. We three sisters have not been together in 30 years. I felt the manager was accusing me of not having a proper reservation and discounted the problem. I stay in hotels frequently and have never had a problem like this. I expect if my husband had been with me, I would have been treated differently. It really did ruin some of our good time.

I would recommend staying at another hotel that has staff that can get their reservations straight and not blame their guests.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Myrna M
rlyakima, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I will follow up with the front desk to follow up with your reservation request for the second night. I will follow up with our housekeeping Staff. Regardless if you were staying or not the room should have been cleaned why you and your sisters were gone. There is not excuse for the service you received.
On another note I was glad to see that one of our employees were able to adjust the room and offer breakfast as a small means of redresss for the frustrations we caused you and your sisters.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

After a long day driving it was nice to have a large, clean outdoor pool to jump into! The staff was friendly and very helpful. The room was fine albeit tired and in need of attention. Beds were good, breakfast so-so and housekeeping fine. The restaurant and lounge were closed on Sunday and Monday evening during our stay so can't comment on that. Other restaurant choices in the near vicinity were virtually non existent except for burger cafe's. I would stay there again during the hot months if just for the pool.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
rlyakima, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Thank you for your sincere comments regarding your stay over the Labor Day holidays. I am glad you found our staff helpful and friendly. We all try to help our guests inway we can to make thier stay comfortable.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I received excellent service during my 3 day stay.

Excellent location.

Easy walking distance to downtown, to shopping area and to restaurants.

Good area to start runs - either in the morning or afternoon.

Rooms are well designed with easy access to the pool and pool deck.

Breakfasts were well organized and of good qulaity

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
rlyakima, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for your nice comments rgarding your stay. Glad the weather was nice so you could enjoy our two swimming pools. I am a runner also and hope you were able to use the near by green way for your morning or afternoon runs, it runs along the Yakima river.

I will pass along you nice comments to our entire hotel team

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Traveling with our dogs was made SO much easier with help from the staff at Red Lion in Yakima, WA. They made sure to have a room that was easily accessible with our pet; ground floor, patio access. And the food at the restaurant was delicious as well. Highly recommended for pet travelers.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
rlyakima, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

I appreciate yu nice comments regadring your recent visit at our property. I am glad you found our accommodations suitable for you and also your pets. We certainly hope to have you back should your trales bring you back to Yakima.
Sincerely

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Nice friendly service like all red lions. They bought this one and have done some upgrades to it. Looks like it still has influences from the 70's and doesn't have a flat screen. Comes witha frig. Two pools. Has onsite resturants and lounge. Easy walk to downtown. Taco Bell and bobs burgers nearby. Easy walk to Olive Garden. Target, gas station and other amenities nearby b

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay in Yakima. We have some new 42" falt screen televisions that will be ordered in September. Hope to see you back again.
Best regards

Reviewed August 12, 2013

My expectations were not real high after reading previous reviews but I wanted to stay at a hotel with a nice outdoor pool. I was really surprised by how clean and nice our suite was. Sure this place is old but everything was spotlessly clean...and I am very hard to please. Pool was very clean, pool towels were brought out regularly. Housekeeping staff was genuinely friendly. We stayed a Friday and Saturday night. Hotel was very crowded so didn't spend as much time by the pool as I wanted, but we did spend a day traveling to various nearby towns.
My only complaint was the sofa in the room was a bit "sinky" and the front desk staff was just in-different after the initial "hello" ok and the one bottle of water at ck in for two of us was really really cheap. We did have a great stay and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Garden area in "newer" part of hotel