“Not my favorite Red Lion”

Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
Reviewed April 10, 2013

On check-in, Rewards members get a chintzy bottle of water (I mean one of those with packaging that's so thin, it about crushes in your had while trying to drink it....) woo hoo.
The place didn't seem very full, but they put us in a "motel" room clear around back with steel exterior door. The lounge had three signs on/near the entrance that all had different opening times. One said 4:30, another said Happy Hour at 4. We walked in just after 4 (the door was unlocked, but they did not appear open). We asked if they were open, and a worker reluctantly said " I guess we can open now..."
The room was clean enough, once we were inside, but there was just something missing from our regular Red Lion experience....

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
rlyakima, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding our hotel. It is through sincere comments like yours that help us evaluate our current offerings. This allows us to to make changes as needed to help better meet the needs of our valued customers like you. I will be sharing your comments with the hotel staff. I will also share your comments with our corporate office regarding the water bottle we offer our Red Lion Members.
I certainly hope you will give Red Lion Hotels another opportunity to be of service to you in the future.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

On a business trip to WA in March 2013, several business colleauges and I stayed at a Red Lion in Olympia for 3 nights, and one night at this Red Lion in Yakima. The bed here was great, and the room was larger than I am used to. The bathroom was quite large - with double sinks and a shower that would fit four people. There were 2 pools on the property, and my room had a sliding back door that openned onto a small stone patio area. It would have been a great room to have for a vacation with my wife and our friends. We also had a free breakfast buffet - it wasn't the best, but it was good and nice to have. I'd recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
rlyakima, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

I apprecaite your comments regarding the hotel in Yakima. I certainly hope you can make it back fo a vacation. During the summer months the weather in Easter Washington is great. With our two swimming pools it makes for a great weekend getaway for the entire family.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

This hotel is located right across from the Yakima Convention Center. Parts of the hotel are fairly old and we stayed in one such area. The hotel room was nicely decorated but underneath it all it looked a little tired, especially around the door frame in the toilet/shower room. Everything worked well and the shower had decent pressure. Light switches were a little grimy but when I mentioned it at checkout they made of point of taking note and trying to correct that. Because the building we were in was older some of the wiring layout made no sense. For instance one light switch turned on both the toilet/shower room light and the light over the vanity/sink area even though they were separated by a closing and locking door. That's fine if you don't mind waking others up in the middle of the night by shining the vanity light in their eyes while you use the toilet. I got up earlier than the rest of our party and finally unscrewed the lights over the vanity to allow the others to sleep while I used the shower and dressed in the other room. The heating/cooling system could use some help....it was noisy and often times would vibrate the entire room. Parking spaces were ridiculously narrow. Large mini vans and SUVs barely fit in their spaces and would sometimes park slightly over the line leaving an unusable space beside them. The hotel really needs to remove one of the spaces and make the rest a bit wider. I can understand that they're trying to provide a space for every room and that space is as a premium but we were still lacking a space because of sloppy parking. The room was for the most part clean although we found a Gogurt wrapper under one of the beds. The beds were comfortable. There was a refrigerator in our double room but no microwave. At least they gave us good tea (Tazo) and good soap products. This is not a bad place to stay if you need to attend an event at the convention center such as we needed to do, but it is by no means the best place I've ever stayed. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful so they made up for a lot of the short comings of the place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in one of the newer sections of the hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
rlyakima, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

I certainly appreciate your comments regarding our hotel. We definately have a unique setting with several different buildings and room sizes. I will be sharing your comments with my engineering staff and housekeeping staff. It is important to us that we pay attention to the details and make sure the room is clean and well cared for.

I certainly hope to see you again. If you travel in the summer we have two swimming pools and our grounds was voted for having the best landscape in 2010 for the downtown.

Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

I came here every summer and I had an absolute blast here, there's a heated pool and there's the cold pool also. Just had an amazing time here and I would Recomend anyone to come here and have a amazing time here and absolute blast.

• Stayed: July 2012
rlyakima, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Thank you for your comments. Glad to see you had a nice stay.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Wanting to get some "end-of-summer" sunshine, we booked a hotel with an outdoor pool and headed to Yakima. The front desk staff was very friendly and accomodating. We requested a room close to the pool and got Room 161. It had a sliding door that opened to the grassy area next to the pool. Perfect! The pool was relatively small (as were the pool towels!), and the water temperature was cold. It was Labor Day weekend, so the pool had many families, kids screaming, and adults talking loudly to anyone and everyone around that would listen. We were looking for quiet sun time with a good book, and this felt like a "neighborhood pool". The best thing that happened, from our viewpoint, was that a kid threw up in the water, and maintenance closed the pool. Suddenly all was quiet and peaceful! By Monday, all the families had checked out, so again, we had a wonderful sunny, peaceful day. Our room was surprisingly well-appointed and very clean. It had a microwave and small fridge. The only negative was a continuous buzz that you could hear from the room next door. It sounded like a fan. But other than that, we were very happy with the room. Breakfast was included and it was a regular type buffet breakfast. Out total bill for our stay was $117. We thought that was pretty reasonable.

Room Tip: The pool and area by the "Garden Terrace" is much nicer than the other pool.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AreWeHavingFunYet
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Red Loin located right next to the Yakima convention center is very convenient and downtown. The room was spacious with a nice balcony with two chairs and a table to be able to sit outside. The hotel has two large outside pools for those interested. Room was very clean and beds were very comfortable. I slept all through the night and this is unusual for me!

Room Tip: Try Priceline as the room was expensive for the area. $129 w/o tax for two queen beds
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank behaman
Reviewed August 26, 2012

A clean, large and well appointed room. Felt very "vacation-y" even though it was a one night stay; loved the ground floor lanai near the pool and overlooking a well kept green lawn. Gorgeous. Friendly, courteous staff. Disappointed in the breakfast - not worth $5.95.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends