“Comfortable stay Excellent pool”

Howard Johnson Plaza Yakima/Near Convention Center
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
Sherwood, or
“Comfortable stay Excellent pool”
Reviewed September 3, 2011

The front counter was helpful at check-in. Very personable. The room was average, clean and the bed was comfortable. The pool is thier hidden gem, 2-8 feet deep with an island in the middle for lounging, it is a very large pool. Breakfast is not great. There are a few things they could do to make it more inviting and appetizing, but it wasn't terrible either. I would visit again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We spent last week end there to get away from rainy Seattle ant to enjoy the 90% weather in Yakima, the Palm Springs of Washington. the hotel is old but it is pretty well maintained and it is conveniently located near downtown Yakima. the services are good. the staff are helpful. the room is large and has a kitchenette. it is pet friendly. the pool is repainted and renovated comparing to the last time I stayed there and can now accommodate more people. the only complaint I have is that the restaurant is closed. however the bar opens at 5 pm. It seems that the new owner is making efforts to improve the hotel and hopefully the restaurant will open soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the outdoor pool
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We arrived early so we gave the front desk our # and went to Hyatt vineyards outside Yakima for a picnic.Best picnic ever. Received the call our room was ready and checked in.It is a pet friendly hotel with very strict rules concerning pets, but we found if your dog is not a bother they are lax with them.The pool is amazing , kids and myself had a blast, it goes up to 8 feet deep.downside?there is only one other hotel in Yakima with an outside pool : Oxford inn next to the river but its very small. so this pool is very busy. the rooms were ok.there was a fridge and microwave which was convienient. beds average. staff very friendly the hotel is fairly close to the river which has a great trail next to it for biking or rollerblading.we had a great time. The breakfast was'nt bad,it filled the hole.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Lacey, Washington
Reviewed July 8, 2011

We were originally checked into room 230. The room smelled horrible! At first glance the room appeared clean but once I went into the bathroom to unpack our toiletries I found hair in plain view on 3 towels, the counters were dirty the tub was dirty and the worst part....it smelled like someone had just taken a super stinky BM! I went down stairs to speak with a manager but the front desk guy said he would handle it. He didn't look up at me, NOT ONCE, while I was voicing my concerns about the room and in fact cut me off and handed me a key and said here is your new room! We were moved to 231. This room appeared much cleaner and smelled normal. Whoo Hoo! That was until I went to take a shower. As I was drying off I looked down at my towel and realized that there was mascara and make up foundation on the towel!!! I was disgusted! I decided to finish getting dressed so that I could go down stairs to complain, I went to dry my hands on one of the hanging wash clothes and noticed it was yellow, hmmm maybe a stain that didn't come out..... NOPE, the wash cloth reeked of urine! As I went to put the towels on the floor, i noticed there was fecal matter on the side of the toilet!!!! Seriously?!?! I took a picture of the brown stains as proof and I took both towels down to the front desk so they could see the proof with their own eyes. The worst part, the young lady, who kept her name tag covered by her hair, wasn't the least bit shocked or disgusted!! I showed her the towels and asked if she would like to see the picture of the poop or if she would like to have a look at it in person in our room, she said no. She told me the best she could do was move me to ANOTHER room! She said she couldn't give me a discount or reimburse me in any way! Really!?! We were scheduled to stay there for 3 nights but there was no way I was going to have my toddler child in that filthy place! We checked out immedietly and found another hotel for the next two nights. Needless to say my family and I will not be back and we will discourage anyone we know from wasting their money in this filthy hotel with its rude staff!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank WaFamily2011

Travelers are raving about these Yakima hotels

Glen Allen, Virginia
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I recently stayed at the Howard Johnson Plaza while attending a family member's wedding in Yakima, WA. The location is great, near the interstate and close to "downtown" Yakima. The staff was very pleasant. I stayed in room 129. Great king size bed, pillow top with pretty firm mattress. Awesome night's sleep. The non-smoking room has a east view (of parking lot), not great but very convenient to back entrance. If you stay on the east side you need to ready for an early sunrise. The curtains don't quite reach the floor, so you get a good "laser" light shot (about 5:00 inj June). I don't mind because I always get up early. The complimentary breakfast was good; eggs, hash browns, warm cinnamon sweets rolls, juice, coffee, cereal, toast, etc. Attending staff was friendly and helpful. There is a pool in the middle atrium space, great for small children, away from roads. I would definately stay again when visiting Yakima. Also, a good breakfast place nearby is Backcountry Cafe; I will try to add another review under restaurants for this.

Room Tip: East side early sun, west side late sun.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank lgooss
Reviewed March 19, 2011

Maybe I'm just lucky. The night of my stay there was a kids soccer tourney in town, with a large gang of them deciding to play soccer in the halls until ten-thirty. The walls and doors are paper thin. The bathroom featured various lengths, colors, and types of hair. But the most irritating thing of all was the alarm clock in the room next door that went off at five AM - and kept honking loudly until I left at seven-thirty.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank MelDurboloid
Reviewed March 3, 2011

My first contact with the Howard Johnson was with a man named Mike and it wasnt a pleasant experience. He was rude and lied to me about who his manager was when I asked to speak to the manager. I have stayed at several hotels in my life and as a customer I have never experienced this type of bad service. My daughter is staying at the hotel with her team and she says the hotel is not very nice and dirty. There are some many other hotels to stay at in this area. Please use your money wisely and don't stay the the Howard Johnson in Yakima.

• Stayed March 2011