“Great property, centrally located”
Review of Holiday Inn Yakima

Holiday Inn Yakima
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Overall, a wonderful newer hotel with attentive, helpful staff, and spotless rooms. There's a Walmart and Dairy Queen across the street. Taco Bell next door. It's off the main highway and the main road (Yakima Ave?).

We had a large group in town for a wedding so reserved 4 rooms (2 Doubles, 1 King Handicap accessible, and 1 Double Handicap accessible). Although we did not originally request it, during check in we were able to have all four rooms on the same floor.

Check in: Quick and thorough. The front desk staff was very helpful, explained the energy efficient room lighting (must have your room key inserted in a slot next to the door in order for power to work) and parking entry directions. They had a couple valet luggage carts for self-service. Two easy to locate elevators were right off the lobby.

Rooms: Very clean! Their housekeepers did not miss a thing. The handicap accessible rooms were very large (especially their bathrooms). The double rooms were average size. Multiple pillow options. Comfortable beds. Tastefully decorated linens and decor. Small fridge. Keurig coffee makers with 4 k-cup coffee pods. Soap/Shampoo toiletries were from Bath & Body Works (I think). Our double rooms had smaller bathrooms, which is tough to manage in the morning with a family of 4. TV had a great selection of channels, although was super slow flipping between them.

Room service: They leave a breakfast door hanger order form in the room in case you want to preorder breakfast the following morning. Since the form is basically a pared down menu of their restaurant's breakfast menu (same pricing too), I called in my orders each morning. Food came pretty fast (< 30 min) and was warm. Great customer service.

Parking: Although not sure why they require a super secure wrought iron fence around their parking lot, I did appreciate it.

Indoor Pool: I thought it was bigger, but it was enough for kids to splash and play. It's heated and indoors. Lots of chairs on the perimeter. Hot tub was a good size. I think there was a small outside patio too if someone wanted to drag a chair out there. Plenty of towels available poolside. The fitness room has a view into the pool. A single stall handicap accessible bathroom with shower is located right outside the pool and fitness room doors.

When we return to Yakima, we will absolutely return to this property.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the more decent the view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Seattle_Travel_Nut

Reviewed June 28, 2012

This hotel is newer and close to the convention center so it is great for business travel.Most of the staff is helpful, although some seem new and not well trained. The beds are comfortable and you can't ask for a better pillow selection. Great security.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Overview: The hotel is a very nice facility. It seems brand new. The staff is pleasant and helpful. Security is tight (why?). Their desire to save money on electricity proves a little inconvenient, but once you learn how the lights work it is no problem. The restaurant, however, doesn't live up to the rest of the facility. Details: My wife and I stayed here one night while in Yakima on business. The location is great if you are attending a convention or have a meeting downtown, but it's too far from local restaurants and downtown shops for most people to walk. You can park your car in a gated and locked area or you can just park in the open lot next to the street. I couldn't figure out why they thought the gated area was necessary, although some people with fancy motorcycles certainly appreciated it. If you stay here, get an extra key because you have to put a key in a device on the entry wall of your room in if you want the entry and bathroom lights to stay on for more than a few moments. (The reception staff is used to this strange system and doesn't really give a very detailed explanation of how it works when you are checking in.) Our only disappointment was the restaurant. At lunch, I told the waitress I was a vegetarian and ordered a salad because it contained no meat. The salad came with bacon pieces dispersed throughout it. She could either have told me about the bacon when I ordered it or made sure the bacon was left off.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We were booking hotel rooms for out of town family, that were coming for gradutation, when making the reservations, it took multiple times to get the correct dates, and number of rooms booked (one room for two nights, and an additional room for one night). It took at least a half hour to get things figured out and booked. We then noticed charges to our account one month prior to the reservation. When we called to see why, we were informed that they had made the reservation for the wrong month. Our family came to town for the graduation and they said that their stay was fine. When they checked out My brother paid the bill for both rooms, but once again we were charged for one of rooms. When we called we were told that my brother had not been charged for everything, so the remaining balance was placed on our card, even though at checkout my brother was told he had paid for both rooms. We made multiple calls and were told things were taken care of, but they weren't. We even made a trip into the hotel and as to date we are still awaiting credit to our bank account. Through this whole process we have had little to no apologies and effort to correct the situation. If we have any future need of a hotel in town, we would NOT come here again, to avoid future hassels.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Dear Emily D,

Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience and disorganization that happened with your reservations. I'd like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so I have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 16, 2012

This Holiday Inn seems to be relatively new. It is clean, well appointed, nice modern furniture, really good king size bed, black-out curtains, AC worked just fine. I was actually surprised that it felt as upscale as it did. The room had a Kurig - so if you are a coffee drinker this is a huge step up from the typical drip machines that are in the rooms. The room also had a hair dryer and a clean, newer fridge. I had a guest who slept on the fold-out couch in the room (it's a large twin or maybe a double size). She said it was remarkably comfortable and probably the best fold-out bed she has slept on. They keep the comforter and extra blankets for the sofa bed in a zipped plastic case in the closet - nice touch. Downsides are that there appears to be little sound-proofing so bring your earplugs if you want a good night's sleep. The check in was very, very slow. Each time we walked through the lobby there was only one person working the desk - it took over 20 minutes to get through the 4 people ahead of me on a Saturday afternoon... Thank goodness they have express checkout (leave your keys in your room or drop them by the desk on your way out - no waiting). That being said the staff was helpful and friendly (front desk and housekeepers alike). The food in the restaurant was OK (the servers were terrific). Unfortunately, we were not told of the abbreviated restaurant hours on Mother's Day morning - the minute we showed up (9:30 ish), they closed the restaurant in preparation for the Mother's Day Brunch which started at 11am. It would have been very nice to have been told that before-hand: As could be expected, every breakfast place in town had lines out the door.... I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I'm not sure if there is a bad room, but if you get one on the west side, you could have a fanta...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Chris G
Reviewed April 1, 2012

This hotel is in s convenient location close to the freeway and downtown. Our room was large with excellent handicapped bathroom. The room was very clean. The bed was great as were the pillows. We had dinner and breakfast a the restaurant both of which were delicious. They also have a secure parking area. The staff were all friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I recently was in charge of finding rooms for a number of my coworkers for an event happening at the Yakima Conference Center. I priced out a couple hotels but decided on this one since it was so close and the highest rated. First I want to say that the staff was incredibly friendly and that this should not reflect poorly on them, just on their training. When we checked-in as a group, paying with one credit card, they made us all check-in individually. I have no idea why and it took about a half an hour. They took down our addresses and the credit card information for every person. Surely, they must have a faster way to do this? If I had pulled up with a bus full of children on a field trip, would they have checked in each person individually?

The second thing that really irritated me, despite it probably being my fault, was that we were told breakfast was not free, but we did get a discount at the restaurant. Both myself and my boss thought we read that prior to booking, otherwise I probably would have had to take my crew somewhere else.

The beauty of the rooms, beds and such have been sung by others and I do not disagree. The coffee was great, beds comfortable and everything was classy.

Check out for our group was equally as painful as check-in. It took over a half an hour and had do do an individual check out for each room. Half way through the computer froze and the staff member had to switch computers and pick up where they left off. Again, the staff members were so apologetic and so friendly. I just really think the entire institution either needs to re-thing group strategies or train their staff better.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ScienceChick
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Yakima, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

ScienceChick,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We’re sorry that you received service that was less-than-satisfactory. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ben J