“Yakima - Place to Stay”

Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
KENNEWICK
“Yakima - Place to Stay”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I travel a lot and I smoke. Often these don't make for the best combination. I'm used to being made feel as if I'm second class or diseased when I look for a hotel room. Please understand that I am also concerned that my smoking offends others.

The Best Western Plus Ahtanum Inn is the first hotel that I have ever stayed in that has made me feel that they can accommodate my nasty habit and not offend others... all at the same time. I was given a room with an exterior entrance. The majority of the rooms in this hotel have interior entrances. The room was at the back of the hotel, which is very normal and understandable. When I walked into my room it was clean and neat. It was welcoming and inviting. I didn't feel as if their smoking rooms were the ones that they had left and ignored for the "nasty people". I loved having my very own entrance and being able to park my car right outside of my door. I didn't have to beg for a microwave or a fridge or a desk. This trip I really didn't care, but I was thrilled to find all of this waiting for me when I opened my hotel room door. I often struggle to have good Internet connection, but not while I was at the Best Western Plus Ahtanum Inn. I didn't ask, but I would not be surprised to discover that they had a router at the end of the hall.

The staff was warm and inviting as well. All of their responses were beyond the one-word grunt that is often heard. They responded to my questions with an attitude as if they wanted to actually talk with me. I'm an early riser and I really don't like hotel-room coffee. I had been told that they started breakfast at 6 am. When I got to the front desk at 5:40 am I was hopeful that possibly the lobby coffee would be available. The gentleman working the front desk was very nice and explained that not only the coffee was ready but so was breakfast. He encouraged me to help myself.

I had not really planned on breakfast yet, but when I looked into their breakfast room I was curious. What I found was amazing!! The offerings were much more than stale bread and yesterday's hard boiled eggs. It was easy to see that whatever mood the breakfast eater was in, they could satisfy their palates. There were scrambled eggs, hash browns, biscuits and gravy, flour tortillas and salsa, cold cereal, waffle maker and much more. I grabbed some biscuits and gravy and headed back to my room. This was not necessary though. There was so much room available for groups of people to eat together without being trampled by those that wanted to get their own breakfast.

I did notice some carpet being replaced in the common areas and this was the only point of concern that I had. I wondered how long they had been working on this. As I went to leave the hallway and venture back to my room I came upon a pile of carpet debris that told me the carpet patch jobs were a work in progress, not some started and abandoned project like I've seen in some hotels.

I will be back. I don't know when as I don't often find the need to stay the night in Yakima. I had such an enjoyable stay - including a great bed which I would expect to find only in a 5 star hotel. This hotel is now registered in my smart phone as Yakima - Place to Stay

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
BWPlusAhtanumInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Ahtanum Inn, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear denmother4,

WOW, what a thoughtful & heartfelt review you have given us here. Thank you so much for your incredible kindness. We are grateful beyond words.

We made the switch to the exterior doors on the smoking rooms about a year ago, and we are sure delighted that you enjoyed them! It's wonderful to have the positive feedback on those rooms, as we also felt that it was a great improvement for our hotel property.

We are also glad that you enjoyed our staff & breakfast so much. We have some very special people working here, and we consider ourselves quite blessed. Regarding the breakfast, this is a fairly new area to the hotel too. This area was built within the past couple of years, and it is very close to a restaurant now! As you indicated, we feel like we offer a delicious variety of breakfast items, and the environment is very sunny, warm, & inviting.

Finally, YES, you are correct about the hallway carpeting. We are currently changing it out for all new carpeting, and this project should be completed within the next couple of weeks. Thanks for your understanding regarding that project!

Once again, thank you so much for everything! Your kind words truly mean the world to us.

With our kindest regards, DH-Director of Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We always stay at the Best Western Plus because we travel with a small poodle. This hotel rates right up with all the others that we have enjoyed. Very pleasant staff and super willing to help us to enjoy our evening there. Highly would recommend this location.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWPlusAhtanumInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Ahtanum Inn, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear JJCUSA03,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to give us this kind review here on the TripAdvisor website. We are extremely grateful for your kindness.

We sure are pleased that you enjoy our hotel! And thank you for your kind words about our staff. They are a very special group of people, and we all certainly thank you for your kind & uplifting words here.

Enjoy the holiday season, and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back again in the future!

With our kindest regards & respect, DH-Director of Marketing
Warm Springs, United States
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The stay was nice. The room was in very good condition with the exception of the heating on the second night I stayed. I wasn't expecting to have to stay a second night. The switch was stuck on 68 degree's so the room was a bit chilly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWPlusAhtanumInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Ahtanum Inn, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Hi Carolyn!

Thank you for staying with us recently, and also for your very nice comments here on the TripAdvisor site. We are certainly grateful to have had you as our guest!

We certainly apologize about any problem that you had with the heating unit in your guest room. Should that ever happen again in the future when you travel, please don't hesitate to let the front desk staff know right away so that they can fix the problem, or move you to another room.

Once again, thank you for your kindness & enjoy the upcoming holiday season!

With my kindest respect & regards, DH-Marketing Department
Puyallup, Washington
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The outside of the hotel, the rooms cleanliness and the breakfast were all very nice. However, the woman that was the manager has no customer service skills. We spent two nights there. The front desk staff was helpful when we realized that we had forgotten an item. The next morning, we went to breakfast and were getting ready for our day, when housekeeping showed up at the room at 8:30am. We had them empty the garbage, but asked that they come back after we left for the day. We were gone most of the day and when we returned at around 7:45pm. we knew that the room hadn't been cleaned. We went to the front desk for new bath towels, and the manager started chewing us out for not using the maid service in the morning, and for asking her to get us more towels. She informed us that she sends the girls out to clean the rooms once in the day and if we don't use their services at that time, we forfeit our maid service. The second night, we had neighbors above us that came in at 2am(probably when the bars closed in town) and stomped up and down the hallways and in their room for 90minutes before settling down for the night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

1 Thank Annibnart
BWPlusAhtanumInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Ahtanum Inn, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Annibnart,

Thank you for staying with us recently! Also, thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback and for your review here on the TripAdvisor website. We certainly appreciate it.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our property's full hot breakfast, the overall "look" of the hotel, and your clean & comfortable guestroom. These things are all vitally important at our hotel, and we are very pleased that you enjoyed all of these amenities.

Another vitally important area of our hotel is our staff and our customer service. Annibnart, please know that we genuinely apologize that our staff apparently did not provide you with the warmth, gratitude, and complete satisfaction during your stay that you and all of our guests deserve. Please forgive us for that.

This type of comment is very rare at our property, and please know that we are looking into this situation with our front desk & housekeeping staff and determining who was on duty during your stay, etc., and completely investigating this situation to correct it & ensure that this type of thing never happens again. Once again, we genuinely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

We hope that we can have the privilege of hosting you again the next time that you are in the Yakima area. Please enjoy a safe & joyous fall season & thank you again for your valuable feedback!

With our kindest regards & respect, DH-Marketing Department
gig harbor, United States
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Staff just right - genuinely helpful and professional. Great rate! Location easy. Nothing not to like. Try this one. Good cross -state overnight place. Buy your farm stand fruits and vegetables nearby.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWPlusAhtanumInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Ahtanum Inn, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Ronald,

Thank you for staying with us recently! And thank you for your very kind words here on the TripAdvisor website.

We're very glad that you enjoyed our hotel so much, and we sure appreciate your kind words about our staff, hotel, & great location. We're also glad that you enjoyed all of the fresh fruit & vegetables grown in our area too. They are absolutely delicious & it's great to have these items grown & sold so close to us!

Once again, thank you, Ronald! Your appreciation means the world to us, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to our hotel again in the future.

With my kindest regards & respect, DH-Marketing Department
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Upon arrival we were given the pet policy they really should post it online one of the items we couldn't comply with and had I said something we would have been without a room. Also our room smelled like smoke for a nonsmoking room this was not good. No counter space in the bathroom they used it all up for the coffee machine, ice bucket, amenities, ect. The hotel was very noisy also could hear people all night long.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
BWPlusAhtanumInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Ahtanum Inn, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Jim,

Thank you for staying with us recently, and thank you for taking the time to share your constructive thoughts here on the TripAdvisor site for our hotel to be aware of. Please know that we were very grateful to host you as our guest!

We certainly apologize that your stay with us was less than perfect. We do indeed have 5 smoking rooms here at our property, and great care has been taken to try to eliminate any smoke odors for our other guests. We are very sorry that you experienced this. The smoking rooms have been isolated to the far north end of the building, are "fogged" & deeply cleaned after every stay, and even have exterior entrances to them. (The rest of our hotel property has interior room entrances). Should you ever run into a problem like this in the future here at our hotel or any hotel property, please let the front desk attendant know right away so that we can have an opportunity to fix the problem and possibly even move you to another guest room.

Thank you for the suggestion about posting our pet policies online. We will check with Best Western International & the IT Department to see if we can get this information posted on our property website. Once again, thanks for this suggestion. It is a great one!

Finally, we certainly also apologize about any noise in the hotel you experienced during your stay. We have a 10:00pm "quiet time" policy that we enforce and we patrol the halls and other areas after that time to ask any loud guests to please quiet down and/or to please carry their conversations on in their guest room, and out of the hallways & other public areas. Once again, Jim, if you ever run into this problem in the future, please let the front desk know right away so that they can remedy the situation.

Once again, thank you for being our guest recently. We hope to have the privilege of hosting you again in the future. With our kindest regards & respect, DH-Marketing Department
Arlington, Washington
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The BEST WESTERN PLUS Ahtanum Inn is an extremely motorcycle friendly hotel and I highly recommend it to anyone riding a motorcycle in the area and looking for a place to stay. We stayed there recently and the charging system on our bike went out. The staff extended our checkout time while we arranged a UHaul to get the bike home and were very understanding and helpful while we sorted things out. Great place~!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
BWPlusAhtanumInn, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus Ahtanum Inn, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear DozeyD,

Thank you very much for your tremendously kind words here on the TripAdvisor website! We are certainly grateful!

We're delighted that you had a great experience here, and very sorry to hear about your motorcycle. We sure hope that you got it home safely & fixed. Sorry that happened & you are very welcome regarding the late check out. Thanks also for acknowledging our staff. They are really wonderful people & we all enjoy working here.

Please also know that we also have hotels in Sunnyside, Prosser, & Colfax too! The properties would be great for motorcycle rides too, and I hope that you can enjoy them in the future. The names of those hotels are the Best Western GrapeVine Inn-Sunnyside, The Inn at Horse Heaven-Prosser, and the Wheatland Inn, in Colfax.

Once again thank you for everything & we hope to welcome you back again in the near future! Kindly-DH-Marketing Department