“Nice room; good location; free Wi-Fi useless”

Best Western Plus Ahtanum Inn
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
California
“Nice room; good location; free Wi-Fi useless”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The hotel room was spacious and clean and the location of the hotel presented easy on and off the highway. However, I needed the Wi-Fi and the connection NEVER got beyond a signal strenth of "very low" and the connection dropped regularly. If you don't care about Wi-Fi, then this is good value for the money, but if you need connectivity, find somewhere else.

Room Tip: No elevator, so if you have a lot of luggage, get a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Orlando, FL
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I've actually stayed at this property before and had a pretty good experience. Such was not the case this time.

First, there are no elevators, and because this is a budget hotel, you're on your own to schlep your luggage up the stairs, down the long hall and down another hall before reaching your room, seemingly in another time zone.

When I arrived at my room, after a very long day of travel, my first impression was "gee, it's awfully hot in here." The second impression was, "thanks Best Western for putting me in a RECENTLY non-smoking room which you have tried to disguise with a disgusting orange-scented, gas station quality air freshener.

The air conditioner wall thermostat did not not work, so the air conditioner did not come on. It took a long walk to and from the front desk and visits from two employees to get the air conditioner to function by bypassing the wall thermostat. In spite of this, the air conditioner noisily cycled on and off all night long, resulting in very poor sleep.

The refrigerator was very smelly, but this seemed to decline after it was turned on. There was a youth sports team (or teams) staying in the hotel during the first night of my stay, and they were having a pool party when I arrived. I was prepared to check out if the party continued into the late evening, but fortunately, it died down a while after the pool closed.

The one redeeming aspect of this trip was that I received a good (AAA) rate for my stay. That said, I would not stay here again even it were free. I used to really like Best Western, but after several unpleasant experiences in Washington and Oregon, my future business will go to another brand.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the Holiday Inn Express or the Clarion
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Burnaby, BC
Reviewed June 7, 2012

While not a resort (he writes, still smarting from the sign at the city limits which read "Welcome to Yakima, the Palm Springs of Washington"-NOT) this hotel was fine for this traveller just passing through ( en route to the Real Palm Springs!)
Note: two - story walk - up; NO elevator.
On check in, front desk staff were extremely helpful. Room was well appointed, basic, and very clean. Apartment-sized refrigerator and small microwave were really appreciated. Bathroom was fine for this lone traveller, but if there had been two of us, it would have been too small.
Breakfast was simple. Sausage links and plain scrambled eggs were both cooked well and kept at a nice temperature - very warmto hot, not tepid like many hotel bkfst bars. I didn't,t try the make - your - own waffles, yogurt or toast / muffin halves. Coffee was fresh and hot and there wre many teas, OJ, along with apples and bananas.
Parking was well lit, ample and free, unlike the resort town previously alluded to. Free wireless Internet access.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms overlook pool and large courtyard. May be noisy because of pool, but I found mine quie...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Sequim, Washington
Reviewed May 26, 2012

I like traveling and find a lot of great places to stay. This isn't one of them. I found the desk very hard to communicate with. Their listening skills were lacking at the check in and the check out. This one didn't go so good! I felt like the desk mis-lead me at check in and they put me in a room that was right off the lobby stairs that was noisy late into the night. When I got to the shower in the morning things started to really go south. The soap dispenser was empty so I figured I would just rinse off with a little shampoo. Big mistake! They have the water saving devices dialed so tight that the shampoo never did rinse off. When I was checking out they asked my how my stay was and I told them I was unhappy - all I got was a big grin! I guess they thought it was funny! (?)
The desk is the heart of any operation and will pretty much give you a feeling on how your stay will go. You can pretty much judge a place by how they react to problems. Then when you add in a number of other failures it adds up to a poor experience that we get to pay for! It would work if it was the only room in town, otherwise I would stay somewhere else! You could stay somewhere else as bad and still do better than this place!

Room Tip: Shop around!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 28, 2012

We stopped here on our way driving from SEA to ATL. What a wonderful surprise. The rooms were clean and it was in a nice quiet location. The staff was polite and professional. Even in the midst of construction to expand the breakfast area, the food options were well laid out and delicious. I was most surprised by the touching prayer for travellers that I found in our room. It demonstrates the care and attention to detail by the management or owners. While we may never find ourselves back in the area, I would recommend them wholeheartedly.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Sumner, Washington
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Our annual visit to Yakima, we stayed at the Ahtanum Inn again, and once again they delivered a great stay for us. We asked if an upgrade was available and it was done automatically since we are rewards members!! The rooms are very spacious, and clean. The breakfast was great, although we had to wait a bit till the hundreds of teens (there was a softball league for Breast Cancer staying here ) got done eating, so we went back to our room and got our showers taken and bags packed first instead,, by the time we were done, they had all left, and there was still hot food and plenty of it to enjoy. At first I was unsure of how quiet it would be since the hotel was packed with all these teens, but our room was at the end of the hall so it all worked out fine. The front desk staff as always were cheerful and very helpful. We will be back again later this summer for our motorcycle trip as always.

Room Tip: You might want to call ahead and see if there are any kind of tournaments going on, and if you can g...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xjigglesx
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We have made Ahtanum Inn our home base for our visits to the Yakima area for the last couple of years. We have done the Red Lion...(DON'T!!!!) and the Hilton Garden Inn,Great but it is right downtown and a trifle pricey for Yakima, We find it nice and quiet and reasonably priced out in Union Gap at the Ahtanum Inn... We have always been greeted by some of the nicest people you would meet anywhere! This Hotel is not the Hilton,however they do an EXCELLENT job of keeping what they have clean,comfortable and quiet. There are quite a few good places to eat and shop nearby. Fiesta Foods supermarket is just a few blocks north,this is the most incredible Mexican food Supermarket north of Southern California!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family