“Tucked away close to downtown Yakima”

Holiday Inn Express Yakima
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
“Tucked away close to downtown Yakima”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

We had no reservations for Yakima, but located this property with GPS-motel apps on our mobile device. It was a bit difficult to get to, tucked in between Interstate 82 and downtown. It is in a neighborhood that is a cross between residential and commercial, but with several hotels in the vicinity. It is close to the Yakima Convention Center.

While an older Holiday Inn Express, it was (according to the manager) renovated in 2009 at a cost of $1.2 million. Today it is updated, and nicely done, and has the look and feel of a new, trendy hotel.

We had take-out from the Olive Garden downtown, several blocks away; parking was a bit of problem at Olive Garden, but the service and food were excellent.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2010

My wife and I stayed at this location for our one night travel down to the Oregon coast. Having never been to Yakima before we had no idea where this hotel was located as we booked the room as we were on our way there. The hotel was very clean and the hotel front desk was more than friendly. The pool is open 24 hours a day. They have afternoon soup in the same area where the breakfast is available. there is also 24 hour tea and coffee with fresh apples. They were out of hot water for my tea and after asking for it I got it in about 30 seconds with a smile. The front desk was very sure to tell us about what was available. We did have the afternoon soup which was a chicken noodle and we found it tasty. We wanted a decent supper so we asked at the front desk and they suggested we go to 2nd street Grill which was less than a five minute drive. I had the club sandwich and my wife had fish and chips will a couple of Draft Stella's to wash it down. All of it including the customer service was great. They have tables outside which we took advantage of. The street was busy enough to enjoy the activity but not enough to be a distraction. It was what we needed after being on the road for 9 plus hours. The hotel rooms were clean and the beds were comfy. I think we paid 127 bucks a night which I felt was a good bang for my buck. Getting up in the morning before we hit the road again we tried their free breakfast and once again it proved to be tasty. They didnt have any bacon but they had everything else. The breakfast area busy but we did not run out of food. The staff were in and out making sure everything was filled.
As it all the HIX that I have stayed at the showers have the curtains that are on a bowed rod. I know there is a special name for them but I just cant remember at the moment. For me it is a good selling point being a bigger guy and kinda germ phobic i hate it when the regular curtains keep hitting my body as I shower. I know, silly thing but I know there must be others out there that might feel the same, so i thought i would mention that they do have the good shower rods.
I was driving my pickup truck and there was more than ample parking.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Champaign, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2010

Stayed here for a week in early September due to business in the area. Check-in was really easy, despite having 4 colleagues with me and all the reservations in my name. They made the changes quickly and we were all in very comfortable, clean, quiet rooms within minutes. Chris, the desk clerk was a very delightful and informative person, helping guide us to the best Mexican and casual dining in the area. The breakfast buffet was pretty good and each evening they provided hot chocolate chip cookies. I stay at a lot of hotels for business and pleasure and this one exceeded my expectations in every way. Add to this a convenient location for shopping, restaurants, downtown, and interstate access, and it is the best deal in town. Many thanks to Chris, housekeeping, and the hotel manager for a great stay!! When I come back to Yakima, this is where I will return for lodging

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

OK - so maybe i should qualify that by saying it's not the Four Seasons, but when you travel with little people in tow you can sometimes feel a bit 'unwelcome' shall we say! We arrived on a super-hot day and were greeted at check-in with a bottle of water for each of us.
During the week they put on soup and crackers in the early evening, followed by milk and freshly baked cookies at 7pm.
Nothing was too much trouble - when we fed the kids some dinner in the breakfast room they produced plates without even being asked. When i asked for some milk for my tea instead of the various creamers on offer (tea and coffee always available) they gave me half a pint for the fridge in my room. One evening they produced a popcorn machine and our kids were so enamored the girl making it told them to make sure they asked for the machine to come out the following night when she wouldn't be on shift to do it for them.
The room was fine albeit with the weird new HI layout where the basin is in the bedroom area rather than in the bathroom. Fine for a family, not sure i'd be too happy if i was sharing with someone i didn't know so well. Great shower :) Fridge, microwave, flat screen hi def tv. Air conditioning that worked great, and it was seriously HOT. Like 40C hot.
Lots of choice for free breakfast: scones, bacon, omelettes; cereal, fruit salad, bagels, muffins, juice, yogurt, pots of apple sauce - even soy milk which was great for my lactose-intolerant child.
Swimming pool was warm enough, with a retractable roof and an area to sit outside in the sun - if it hadn't been so hot! staff gave great advice about a playground to take the kids to down by the river, and when we were beaten by the heat we retired to walmart and target to cool down in their air conditioning

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Olympia, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

Multiple online travel sites list an outdoor pool for this facility. It definitely does not have one and HI Ex Yakima management is non-responsive and unapologetic for the misunderstanding.

Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2010

This was my first stay in several years at this Holiday Inn Express, and I was very pleased with my decision to visit again. The hotel exterior and interior appear to have been recently updated. The hotel and room were very clean, and the desk chair was comfortable and adjustable. Good wireless internet connection. I found the front desk staff very helpful and pleasant. I like clean, convenient, and no fuss hotels for my business travel, and this hotel did not dissapoint. There are not as many dining/entertainment choices within walking distance as with other Yakima hotels, but the quiet neighborhood is a suitable trade off. I will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Issaquah, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2009

I stayed here for 2 nights to attend a local conference. The staff was very welcoming. The room was quiet and spacious. Generally, the room was clean. But, there was something yucky on the clock radio – kind of bothered me. And, in the corner of the room behind the standing lamp, I noticed it was very dusty; that area apparently hadn’t been vacuumed in a while. Other areas appeared clean. I enjoyed the convenience of the morning continental breakfast; the food was what you would expect at one of these little buffets. And, I liked that the Convention Center was a short five-minute walk.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business