“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

My options were limited on a busy summer weekend in Yakima. This motel certainly met my needs for clean, comfortable accommodations at a fair price.

That said, this would never be my first or second choice for places to stay in Yakima (actually it's in Union Gap.) The main problem is that there is always only one desk attendant on staff, but it is a fairly large motel that was at capacity on this weekend. I had made reservations, but my room hadn't been made up even though I was arriving at 9:30 in the evening. The clerk has very competent and understanding, but there was literally no other staff person on site who could help check in the steady stream of people checking in, and no one else around to make up the room. I was given another room but then had to move to a third room for the second night of my stay. I got a nice discount on the bill and was moved to a better room than what I had booked, but I was not happy with the delay and the hassle.

The rooms were clean and comfortable but showing a combination of age and shoddy construction. My second room had a faint smell of cigarette smoke despite it being a non-smoking room. Free wifi worked well, which is very important to me. The inadequate lighting is unfortunately fairly typical of the inexpensive motels I have been staying in lately.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Czech first
Lakewood, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Great value for your money. Room decor okay. Are you planning on staying in your room all day?

• Stayed June 2011

Travelers are raving about these Yakima hotels

Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

Me and my friends stayed at Quality inn Yakima when we visited one old friend. We decided to stay at Yakima for quality time. And we made a perfect choice! The location was perfect, a stadium, museum and a park was just around the corner. We loved the high speed internet, we have uploaded photos very fast that night! Our room was so clean and well maintained by the friendly staff of the hotel. The stay was worth it! not too expensive but it is the best!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

Iron had cable connected to it making it hard to handle. Also had burnt material on it which transferred to white shirt.
TV remote control did not change channels.
Breakfast was horrible. Room was small for size of hotel. The few tables available were full. No coffee. No sausage. Had to bum salt and pepper from tables.

However, beds were clean as was the room generally.

• Stayed May 2011
Ft Lauderdale
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

Cute two-level lobby which leads you to believe it will be a decent hotel but too bad you can't stay right there in that lobby.

The biggest issue with the room (i mean rooms) wasn't the depressing decor and ridiculously dim main lighting upon entering but the SHOWER: it was russian-roulette every single time as you screamed between third-degree burns or freezing water that alternated randomly every few seconds.

Our front door was rotting from down-up and the doors connecting our room to the next had broken locks meaning they swung wide open on BOTH sides but we were assured no one would be in the next room before it was resolved. Great!

Also: what's the point of claiming a laundry room if it only has one machine and then it's out of service?

The WiFi performance wasn't so great. Breakfast was budget-level. The house-keeping did a good job every day.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2010

I was in Yakima for a business meeting and always saw this Quality Inn before but never stayed here. So I decided to give it a shot and it was one of the cleanest hotels in the area with friendly staff. For the price, I don't think you could get much better. This is my hotel of choice when ever I go to Yakima.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

I found that rates everywhere seemed to be equal, so I booked directly through the hotel's website. I also signed up for their loyalty program to save a bit extra.

The hotel is pretty basic. Like most budget hotels in Eastern Washington, there are no interior hallways to save on heating and cooling costs. This also means that you can back your car right up to the door if you're on the ground floor.

When I arrived, I was checked in within just a few minutes. Other than telling the clerk my name and signing the check in sheet, there was nothing I had to do, regardless of the sign three feet behind him that stated that ID was required for check in. I had never stayed at this hotel nor any other Choice Hotel, so this was a bit disconcerting. When I booked online, I put in a special request to be placed on the top floor. When I got there, they had already made they keys and it was room 108. I hoped this wasn't going to be a problem--I don't like listening to people above me--and it wasn't. I don't think they had anyone on the upper floors. The hotel looked pretty empty and they were in the process of upgrading furniture.

The hotel has surveillance cameras at key places. There were at least 8, if not more. At least 3 monitored the area in and around the lobby, and others showed the rest of the hotel including the parking spaces nearest the rooms. There was a monitor above the front desk that seemed to be there to passively alert guests that the property was being monitored.

The room wasn't the cleanest that I've stayed in, but clean enough. The bedding was a bit disappointing, only a sheet and a very thin comforter. I was too tired to care though. The heating/cooling unit is mounted high in the bathroom. It did a so-so job of heating the room. I only had it on for about 20 minutes because I found the noise of the fan bothersome.

I couldn't get the wireless internet to work. My laptop often has trouble connecting to the access points at school, so I'm not sure if the problem was my laptop or their access points. The Shari's in the parking lot also has free WiFi, but the signal strength was too low for me to attempt to connect to it. Luckily I can connect my cell phone to my laptop and use my unlimited data plan so I was able to use the internet in my room. Outlets at the desk were nonexistant, which was annoying. Two were hidden behind the TV, two next to it, and two between the bed and the phone. Luckily I had my own extension cord, but I did have to unplug one of the lamps to use it. I did not try the microwave, but the fridge was cold inside (and empty). I also did not use the TV.

The bathroom is very large but oddly shaped. The counter was big enough for one male, but any other combination would find it too small. If you don't need to use the iron, the ironing board could provide an extension to the counter. Also, the ironing board had a bracket bolted to it, and the iron had a curled cable attaching it to that bracket. The iron could reach the other end of the board with no problem, but the cable was very annoying. A cheap pair of wire or bolt cutters would have solved this problem, but those aren't things I normally travel with.

The deluxe continental breakfast exceeded my expectations. The breakfast is available from 6am to 9am. I walked in just before 6:30 and was pleasantly surprised to find the room empty of people and full of food ready to eat. What I remember: Hot & Cold cereal, mini yogurt cups, bagels, muffins, waffle iron with a waffle dough dispenser, coffee, apple/orange juices (there was a third, don't remember what it was...not grape), scrambled eggs, sausage patties, and more. There was also a large LCD screen blaring CNN, with a sign next to that telling me that I wasn't allowed to remove food or drink from the breakfast room, so no "saving some for later" or grabbing "one for the road". Overall I was very impressed with the breakfast. Usually hotel eggs suck, and these scrambled eggs were fluffy and tasted pretty good. This could have been due to my timing, but I was very impressed with the amount of choices. I would've snapped some photos, but I would have felt like a dork since there's a camera watching everything going on in the breakfast room.

Checkout process couldn't get much easier. Just leave the room keys (cards) somewhere in the room and leave. My credit card was charged 3 days after checkout, although I would have been just as happy if it wasn't charged at all ;)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business