“Croaking Toad”
Review of Barking Frog

Barking Frog
Reserve with OpenTable
Barking Frog is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 114 Restaurants in Woodinville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rte 202
Description: It's difficult to say what is most appealing about the Barking Frog - the food, the wine, the atmosphere. All of the above earned this casual bistro featuring country fresh Northwest cuisine rave reviews. Honors have included "Restaurant of the Year", "Most Innovative Wine List" and "Wine Grand Award" awards, presented by the Washington Wine Commission. Delectable dishes entice guests to linger in the light-filled dining room or to gather around the fireplace. While in the summer, lunch and dinner are served in the courtyard. Wine tasting in Fireside Cellars - Many wineries are open for public tastings, others are not. However, there is one place where you can relax with friends and fellow guests to taste the finest that Woodinville Wine Country has to offer - Fireside Cellars at Willows Lodge. Join us from 4PM-11PM Sunday-Thursday and 4PM-12AM Friday and Saturday.On weekends, the sweet smell of crepes fills the air as the Fireside Cellars is now open and offers both sweet and savory crepes along with oatmeal, pastries and your favorite coffee/espresso. Open Saturdays and Sundays from 8AM-1PM.
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Second time for lunch. First time - wasn't much - this time terrible. We waited at least 40 minutes - my burger was raw - I sent it back - waited another 20 minutes while my husband ate his lunch - he finished and I decided I wasn't waiting for anything else. My food still hadn't arrived by the time I left. They packed up the burger and gave it to my husband while I stood at the front door waiting for him. Nice gesture, I wasn't expecting it. It is a very noisy place.

Mike W, General Manager at Barking Frog, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

I am so sorry about your experience with us, it definitely is not the level of quality we expect for ourselves. I hope that this will not detour you from returning and allowing us an opportunity to re-earn your loyalty. Please feel free to contact me directly for anything you need.

Mike West
425-424-2591

There are newer reviews for Barking Frog

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We have eaten here since it was built and have watched the menu change. This last time was very heavy on red meat. Two different kinds of steak on a limited menu is to much, why not have venison or another heavy game? I had the crab salad, and there was a lot of crab, but not much more. Lots of dressing (very heavy cream style) a few sprigs of frisee - not really a salad, but crab and a bit of green garnish. My main was sea scallops nicely pan seared (4 sea scallops) and to much of the farror - once again not bad, but just out of balance. Dessert of Meyer lemon ice cream and Mandarin Orange sorbet were excellent! Others at the table had similar views on the sea scallops and dessert. My husband had the duck cassoulet which he very much liked! Service was slow to begin with, but picked up and was more attentive after the starters.

Thank you for your years of support for the Barking Frog! Guests that return year after year like yourself are the backbone of our restaurant. I am sorry that your most recent expereince was less that expected. Your feedback is taken to heart by us and we will look at some new and non-typically options for future menus!

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We came here during our stay at the Willows Lodge, 50 feet away. We had both dinner and brunch:

The high points of dinner were the wine and the service. They have some great choices of wine by the glass for people like us, and reportedly a great selection for real wine connoisseurs as well. Or server said that almost everyone working at that meal had been there together for a decade and that they were proud of building it into what it is today together--it showed in their demeanor and attention to detail. The short menu was conservative, but well-executed.

We came back from breakfast the next morning and I'd give that, by itself, 5 stars. The room is dressed down a bit, our server was so cheerful and took good care of us. We had a bacon-cheddar waffle and the duck confit biscuits and gravy, both of which were delicious. A nice, slow start to a relaxing day in woodinvilles world of wine.

1  Thank Alexander-akira

What a great weekend getaway with the Willows Lodge and two experiences at the Barking Frog! Our staff is amazing and yes there is almost 53 years of combined experience at the Barking Frog just between our dinner servers! There is a lot of pride in the property and menu and I am glad you had an opportunity to experience it.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Same time each year, the hunt for an ideal celebration venue. Last year was the 'Like Loss of a Dear Old Friend' debacle at Canlis, thankfully saved by an extraordinary late dinner at The Book Bindery, which remains memorable indeed.

Have heard about The Barking Frog for a while, though mostly head into the bigger city for these events. Decided to ring in advance to speak with the manager, query the few really bad reviews here, and get a feeling regarding whether this would be the place or not.

On the phone and in person, The Barking Frog excels!
We were seated promptly and greeted by Brian, who stayed present throughout. What we didn't realize until much later is that the entire restaurant was filled with 'birthday' celebrators; seriously, the whole place!
You might think this would have jaded them into complacency, but not so.

The Grand Marnier prawns were heavenly, followed by the duck entree. Due to a bout with this season's malaise, I needed something light, bland and simple, such as chicken, with a simple vegetable. There are places that just say, 'No", but not here! Brian checked with the chef, and I was treated to a splendid light meal in conjunction with the duck entree.

The ambiance is mellow and inviting . . . sound seems well absorbed and the music is suitably background so that conversation is easy and quiet. Large parking lot available, also valet if that's your preference. The interior is exquisitely lighted, soft and flattering, and the huge beams provide rusticity with the elegance of a lovely center fireplace bar. It's a welcoming environment, for sure. Easy access if you need it, also; no stairs.

Kudos and thanks to Barking Frog staff and venue for making the birthday celebration this year as smooth, enjoyable and delicious as we always hope for, though all too seldom realize~~!!
And now, must try it for lunch . . . !

5  Thank ch00seyon3

I am so happy that you had such a wonderful experience with us! Brian mentioned he had a great time serving you that evening. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We couldn't have been much happier with the creative food and excellent staff at the Barking Frog (odd name, apparently, refers to Native American lore promising good fortune). Although across the driveway from the Willows Lodge, this spacious and handsome restaurant is a worthy destination in its own right. Prices are high, but the creative use of local ingredients justified the expense, in our view. Service was professional, knowledgeable & helpful, but always friendly, as it should be in a such a country setting. The handsome wood appointments, plus welcoming fire pit in the dining room, added to the romantic abiance at night. Some tables for couples, however, are quite close together and that can detract a bit from Barking Frog experience, depending on the couples in close proximity and the quality or character of their conversation. Still, even when full, this is an impressive restaurant whatever its location. Plus, its wine list is absolutely stellar, particularly for offerings from its neighboring wineries in Woodinville.