“Wonderful experience”

Auberge de Seattle, French Country Inn
Ranked #7 of 7 Woodinville B&B and Inns
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We rented the chef's quarters for two nights and participated in a cooking lesson.
What a wonderful experience! The accomodations were very comfortable with a fully equipped and well stocked kitchen. It was a much needed quiet retreat that felt homey and rejuvenating.

The suprise delivery of delicious food from the proprieter, Nancy, was fantastic. We had delicious morning pastries and an evening dessert.

The French cooking lesson was oh so fun, We chopped, cooked and learned not just about the receipe but about things like calibrating thermometers, clarified butter etc... The chef and Nancy were able to answer questions, keep all 12 of us busy, wine glasses full and having fun.

We recommend this as a fun weekend for anyone. There was attention to detail from the linens to the food, lovely, but not pretentious, just nice and special.

Room Tip: I only saw the Chef quarters, it was very nice with outside area.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Proprietress, Owner at Auberge de Seattle, French Country Inn, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Thank you very much for your support. These reveiws really do matter to us...it's good to hear we have folks who appreciate what we do and enjoyed our French Country Inn!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed April 4, 2012

The Groupon Cooking class is excellent; the amount of food was phenomenal. I have booked other classes before and paid full price only to receive very little compared to this class. And to top it off we were able to bring some of the food home. I have never attended a cooking class where you were allowed to take the food home with you. The chief was an amazing teacher and such polite service. These people really care about what you get out of the class.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Serenity S
Proprietress, Owner at Auberge de Seattle, French Country Inn, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Thank you so much for your support, we so appreciate your point of view.
Bellingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I have been to this place several times and have always found the proprietress, Nancy Douglas, to be gracious in every way. The house is decorated in beautiful French antiques. It is spacious with a casual country elegance. It is easy to believe that one is not on the outskirts of a large, bustling city, but instead in a quiet French countryside. The food was delicious and often comes right from Nancy's garden. I plan on going back this summer with my sister to spend a night or two and drink up the surroundings and the gracious service.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank dalyn46
Thank you for the lovely review...it is always good to hear from our customers. We really appreicate your vote of confidence!
Everett, Washington
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I just spent the most relaxing and wonderful weekend at “L'Auberge at The Edge of Seattle B&B Inn” in Woodinville.
The Proprietress, Nancy Douglas was very welcoming, the room had everything I could possibly need and more.
I stayed in the “Studio” it has a stunning view and access to an outdoor patio. In addition, it has internet wireless access, refrigerator, and a lounging area.

The bathroom was amazing with a hydro-massage jetted tub and heated tiles. The room came with a hearty French Continental Breakfast, which was assorted French breakfast sweetbreads made by Nancy that morning, they were still warm.
There was also in the room a pitcher of milk, coffee, sugar, tea, yogurt, fresh fruits, granola and cereals. In the evening there was desert and a bottle of sparkling wine ;-)

I can’t wait until the summer so I can go back and enjoy the garden. I am also planning on taking the cooking class.

I will recommend this wonderful Inn to anyone looking for a place to relax and enjoy good food and a friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Francis G
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed using a LivingSocial package that included one night in the honeymoon suite, a bottle of vin rousseaux, a massage and breakfast for two (which we upgraded to the country breakfast). The room was large and well appointed, though a little worn in spots. The bathroom was large, with large tub and shower and bidet. The shy might long for better window coverings in the bath. The grounds were lovely. A delicious snack of date bars was awaiting us.

Massage was fine except conducted in a cramped spare bedroom with harsh lighting so not as relaxing as I'd hope.

I assumed the vin rousseaux (I'm probably not spelling it right) meant we'd get a true French Champagne. What we got was Spanish sparkling wine. Perhaps a misunderstanding on my part. It was fine regardless.

The room smelled strongly of mothballs. We lit the wood fire ASAP to help cover the odor. We had a quiet evening without TV.

The breakfast was served in our room, and was good except was lacking the advertised "sweetbreads" (which I assumed meant "sweet breads" and not the organ meat). Price a bit high. If we had not upgraded we could have eaten the yogurt and granola in the fridge on the patio, though it was a small portion. Breakfast included juice, but the only coffee available was the Costco package in our room.

Our hostess seemed a little grouchy, maybe it was my imagination.

There are many great B&B's in the area that I would recommend over this one. Their cooking school might be worth a try - I got a peek at the kitchen and it seemed well appointed.

Room Tip: I wouldn't try anything except the honeymoon suite.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tom B
Washington
Reviewed September 5, 2011

The good. The settings (buildings and landscaping).
The bad: Breakfast was horrible, the service was deplorable.

For a background, we have stayed at some very nice B&B's from Savannah, GA to Seattle, WA. The worst breakfast over the years was frozen waffles from a package along with the worst service. Sadly, this one beats that!!!!!!!
This B&B had some decent write ups so we do not know what has happened to it. We were shocked.

Starting with the bathroom. After a long trip and while on the toilet seat (siège d'un cabinet d'aisances) and reaching for the paper in the covered ceramic holder, oh oh....there wasn't any...just the round cardboard piece that the paper had been wrapped on. While sitting I searched for another holder behind the shower curtain....NO.... then under the towel on the rack in front of me....NO.......I’m in Trouble Now...

I managed to open up the doors of the under sink cabinet and spotted a single roll butt it was on the far side of the cabinet and out of reach.
Decision time: do I take a chance and leave the safety of the seat. do a super stretch and cobra strike to grab the roll hoping that nothing hits the floor or do I stand up and squeeze my cheeks together, hop over, get the paper, then hop back....I finally opted for the latter and made it.

Breakfast.....a disaster. It was self catered....some cheerios, oatmeal. In the ice box two small Greek yogurts. Some nice freshly baked caramel breakfast rolls (3) were to be set outside the sliding door of our room to enjoy. They just didn't look right. The instructions were to microwave for 11 seconds. The results were three HOCKEY PUCKS.... uneatable..........they seem to shrink during the 11 seconds and would have discarded by the NHL for being too hard.

The Coffee. We were given a single packet of coffee from Costco.
There were no coffee filters. I attempted to find the hostess but without success. I ended up using some paper towels from my car to make a filter. After adding water and pressing the brew button, nothing happened. The electrical outlet was working but I tried another one, no luck. I banged the coffee maker a few times on the sink and it started brewing then it stopped. A few more bangs and it started up again. I kept my distance from the coffee maker just in case something unexpected happened.

The hostess finally showed up and asked how it was going and in the same breath said the rolls did not turn out right adding somehow they did not rise. She said that she did not know what happened. (this person gives cooking classes!!!). I explained about the coffee filter but I left the toilet paper story alone. She commented, "I hope that you are not mad at me".

We just wanted to get out of that place ASAP, we packed and left.

The hostess seemed preoccupied with selling us everything from trips to cooking classes to upgrading our breakfast (for another $60). That resulted in the absence of any customer service.

Other issues:
We asked for directions to a winery in the area but in mid sentence she just stopped and left?
The TV remote channel up and down button was inoperative/broken.
The love seat next to the TV blocked one of the TV cabinet doors so you had to sit in a hard wood chair instead.
The hostess needs help with the chores or responsibilities.
She is trying to do too much and has compromised the service, the rooms and the basics. Serving the uneatable breakfast rolls to us instead of substituting them with something that we would have enjoyed is just not good business.
The bottom line is; stay away. Spend your money somewhere else.

Room Tip: stay away until things improve
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank scenicpl
Proprietress, Owner at Auberge de Seattle, French Country Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2011
• We make mistakes!
• Like any company with a human dimension, Auberge de Seattle cannot claim to be perfect. However, we do continually endeavor to improve ourselves, to be open to the world, and to show our entrepreneural spirit. We listen and change things, as we go about doing our best!
Washington
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My boyfriend got a one night stay as a treat. At first I was a little scared for what we got ourselves into. Booking was confusing because Nancy (the proprietress) was originally out of town after a few phone calls we finally got it right. It did however take over 2 weeks to confirm the room after the calls. In the end, we were offered a upgrade to the honeymoon suite free of charge which then started a suprisingly wonderful stay. Nancy was extremely thoughtful went out of her way to accomodate us and her baked snacks were delicious.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodinville
Hampton Inn & Suites Seattle Woodinville WA
The Heathman Hotel Kirkland
Woodmark Hotel & Still Spa
Salish Lodge & Spa
Salish Lodge & Spa
#1 of 2 in Snoqualmie
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bothell
Red Lion Inn & Suites Bothell

Been to Auberge de Seattle, French Country Inn? Share your experiences!