“Great tour and lots of fun”

Chateau Ste. Michelle Vineyards
Book In Advance
More Info
$128.00*
and up
Private Tour: Snoqualmie Falls and Woodinville Wineries Day Trip from Seattle
Ranked #1 of 67 things to do in Woodinville
More attraction details
Owner description: Beautiful vineyard featuring tours of the premisis and summertime concerts.
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Before going to the Woodinville, WA area on business I already knew of this winery and knew I wanted to visit. We got there first thing on a Saturday morning and were out on the first tour with one other couple. Advertised to be 20 minutes ours lasted about 45 with the guide being very knowledgeable about Chateau Ste. Michelle and wine in general. He also had a great sense of humor. After the tour a complementary taste topped off a great time. We also did a paid tasting and the gentleman was also very knowledgeable about the wine they create and after seeing my love of the last taste (Ethos 2008 Cab) he offered me another taste that was also tremendous. Had such a good time I'd visit again when in the area.

1  Thank JimRector
in 8 reviews
"the reserve"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Wife and I visited here during our trip to Seattle. Place was beautiful, guide was good, tasting was fun. But be warned, they're known for their white wines. My wife and I are more red wine drinkers. Most the tour tasting was the whites with only one red, but we got to taste more reds in the tasting room

1  Thank Michael K
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were recently in Woodinville for a few days, and I went on the tour twice during that time - once with my husband and once with my son when he came up from Portland. The first tour guide was awful - kept forgetting where he was in his monologue and left a lot of interesting details out, based on the second guide who was a seasoned professional. Also, the first guide only covered the first two of the five "S's" in the tasting portion of the tour: sight, smell, swirl, sip, and savor. He seemed to get distracted a lot and would forget what he was saying, although I did get a couple of tidbits from him that I didn't hear on the second tour. I guess they each have their own favorite factoids.

Very interesting story about the family who started the vineyard, but don't expect to see grapes growing or being processed in Woodinville. The grapes are grown along the Columbia River Valley in the southern portion of the state; the family opened a winery in Woodinville to be closer to the population that buys their wine. (Also, the owner loved the local area for personal reasons - hunting and fishing.) Some wine is bottled in Woodinville, but not all. Mostly the Rieslings, for which the vineyard is world renown. The bottling assembly line is mesmerizing to watch; very state-of-the-art.

You get a complimentary tasting of four wines with the tour; otherwise, it costs (don't know how much). You can upgrade to the Col Solare tasting (top of the line Rieslings), but it will cost you $20 pp. (The first guide was miffed that people dropped out of our tour during the tasting portion to taste the Col Solares. Not very professional, especially considering he was a lousy guide. He should have been glad they opted to pay money for the tastings.)

There is no restaurant on the premises, so don't expect to get much to eat. Although on the second tour, the guide mentioned panini were available. I don't know where. I didn't see any food preparation area. There is a very nice gift shop, if you feel the inclination to dress up your wine bottles in clothing and other accouterment. Only partially kidding; there is other stuff too, but all seems rather extravagant unless you need a gift for the wine lover who already has everything useful. Fun to look though.

2  Thank Cynthia R
Reviewed April 2, 2013

If you like Riesling then you are familiar with Chateau Ste Michelle. The winery is a short 30 minute drive from downtown Seattle and worth the trip. The tour includes a tasting, but you may skip the tour (no different than any other winery tour) and go straight to a private tasting of some better wines. Try the Eroica and the Brut Rose. We were in town for a meeting and March is not the best time to visit a winery in Washington, but it was still fun. Right across the street is the Columbia Winery, as well as many others in a short distance, so go winery hopping. I hear that Chateau Ste Michelle has a great summer concert series so I hope we find ourselves back in Seattle to take it in.

1  Thank GuyFromAtlanta_GA