“Great Hotel”
Review of Willows Lodge

Willows Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Woodinville
Reviewed April 25, 2008

Great Hotel, great staff, (Jonathan was a great source of information on Seattle). Ruthie (the dog) was a huge success with my wife. Overall this was a great hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed February 20, 2008

We stayed at Willow’s Lodge last year for our anniversary and loved it. The first thing I saw when I walked into the lobby was an odd looking dog that the lodge rescued named Ruthie. She had her own little bed in the lobby that she didn’t mine sharing. She was well behaved and she seemed to enjoy company. I do not have any pets of my own but I loved my visit with Ruthie. I felt that this gave the lodge and very warm a homey feeling from the very moment that you walked into the lodge. This place is very pet friendly. They even have gifts for your four legged friends in the gift shop. I bought “Ruthie’s Dog Treat Mix” as a souvenir because it had a picture of this adorable dog.
The room was very romantic with plush king-sized bed. The lodge had the best linens and pillows. It was one of those beds that you just never want to get out of – which- of course, is great for an anniversary. The large two person soaking tub was delightful. The room had a gas fire place and a CD player there was a deck with two chairs and a table outside. We did have diner at the Barking Frog and it was good. We did the Woodinville Wine Country Package so we went to Chateau Ste. Michelle and Columbia Winery. We visited to the Red Hook Brewery. The smell of hops on this tour is something to note, it maybe a pleasurable smell to some but, not to all.
If you like bagels I would recommend Bigfoot Bagels on 14126 NE Woodinville Duvall Rd. We liked there garlic and the sundry tomato bagels and bought some to take home. I would also recommend Pasta Nova right across the street in the Albertsons parking lot area. This place is not fancy and they have paper on the tables but they have friendly staff and pretty good food the baked rigatoni was very good. The must have is their appetizer of bread with marinara with goat cheese it’s to die for.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank exempt
Reviewed February 3, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Willows lodge for a romantic weekend. We live just a few hours away in eastern Washington. The room was perfect, the staff very helpful, and the location great for us. We had the in room strawberries/champagne/chocolate with roses. They had drawn a bath and had jazz playing on the CD. It was great. We also had a couples massage at the spa. It was wonderful and the atmosphere excellent. I had read some negative reviews about dog noises from other guests so I asked to be put in a room far from guests with pets and this was done. Overall it was a great weekend and we would go again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2007

My husband and I stayed at The Willows for the first two nights of our 5 night anniversary trip to Seattle. It was our 1st anniversary and we were at the Willows for the actual day of our anniverary. It is in Woodinville and is only about a 20-30 minute drive from the Seattle airport and downtown Seattle.

The staff was overly helpful - especially the concierge! As we checked out to go downtown he gave us hints on restaurants and shops (REI was amazing). He told us about this great little pub on Bainbridge Island - we went and it was quaint and unique with great food. We had a native with us and he had never even been to the pub and loved it!

When we walked into the room we were in awe! It was so modern and tranquil looking. I absolutely LOVED the bathroom and the cutout positioning was perfect. We arrived on a Saturday (from the East coast) and were tired so I lounged in the garden tub and was able to watch the TV directly through the cutout! Our room had a fireplace, which was great during the Seattle chilly nights, a TV, stereo and DVD player! I wish we had known to bring DVDs! The lighting was a bit interesting - very modern and lots of dimmers. Overall, you never had a ton of light in the room unless you opened the drapes (which led to a cute little balcony with a great view). But, I didn't mind the lighting. The shower was unique with no door on it. We didn't experience much water going out of the door area. The water pressure was perfect and I loved how they provided pumps of shampoo and conditioner and body gel! I loved the digital temperature gauge in the shower. You turn the shower on and it heats up to 98 degrees exactly (you can watch as the thermostat rises!) and then you can opt to make it hotter or cooler. What a great aspect! I also can't say enough wonderful things about the bed. It was the most comfortable bed I think I've ever stayed in. I normally wake up with horrible back pains after sleeping on a hotel bed, but not this one. No back pain at all and I actually slept fully through the night.

The room had goodies in it too, but unlike most hotels, they were not overpriced. A beer from the fridge was a reasonable $4 a bottle. They had a ton of extras such as bath salts, candles, disposable camera, lotion, wine, bottle openers, PEZ, energy bars, etc, all for reasonable prices. You could also buy the slippers, which we really loved, for only $4. We are still wearing them back at home! They used an old timey coffe maker - basically a teapot and then you have a coffee grind sifter - it was all very interesting. A little complicated for me, especially when I just want coffee FAST in the morning, but an interesting touch.

We ate at the Barking Frog for our anniversary and had wonderful service. The presentation of the food was amazing (especially the dessert!) and it was all tasty. They have a very extensive wine list and our waiter was very helpful and knowledgable about what was on it. It was really expensive though - and I heard the HerbFarm is even more expensive. I enjoyed the dinner a lot, but we did eat at a Pan-Asian restaurant in downtown Seattle a few days later, which I actually liked much better and it was better priced. This would not keep me from eating at The Barking Frog again, but just be forewarned it isn't cheap (our dinner was over $300 - granted we had a bottle of champagne too).

We had hot stone massages at the spa and they were WONDERFUL! I highly recommend making a spa reservation. Everything was very tranquil and my hot stone massage was one of the best massages I've ever had. My husband is not a massage person, but really loved this kind. They also have a hot tub that you can use.

There are several wineries and a brewery within walking distance. We did the Red Hook Brewery tour and had a light lunch there and it was all good and a nice break from fancy dining. The tour was wonderful and I highly recommend it - it's only $1 and you will be feeling nice afterwards. The wineries nearby are also very nice to visit. They have great trails running around the Willows and you can rent bikes or go walking/running. Unfortunately, when we were there it was cold and drizzly, so we didn't use the trails. But we would love to go back during the summer and rent bikes and go on a hot balloon ride and horseback riding (all of which you can set up through The Willows).

Oh and they are a pet friendly hotel - which we love since we have two dogs! Ruthie, their basset mix, will greet you at the door and is so friendly. We would love to one day bring our dogs, but that would require a cross-country road trip seeing as we live in Florida.

The only negative about the room was that (as others have posted), you could hear a lot of hallway noise. We were on the 2nd floor and it really didn't bother me - I tuned it out I guess - but you could definitely hear people going up and down the halls.

Overall, I was extremely impressed with The Willows and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple

Staff: B+
Food: A
Setting: B+
Overall: B

The Willows Lodge is a terrific property in an unassuming valley just east of Seattle. There are wineries (with outdoor concerts; we saw Lyle Lovett and kd lang at Chateau Ste. Michelle one night), a brewery, small shops, a paved trail along a river, and even a Saturday market all within a 10 minute walk of your room! There are two outstanding restaurants on-site (the Herb Garden, and the Barking Frog, as well as the Redhook brew-pub a 3 minute walk across the parking lot), as well as a spa (my massage was outstanding) and banquet facilities. We drove to Pike's Place market on Sunday, found parking and arrived within 30 minutes of leaving our room. Speaking of the room, it is stunning to walk into, is very modern, and has a nice little balcony (ours had a bunny sitting on it when we arrived, but I doubt that's standard!).

We ate at both restaurants, which are spendy, but the food is outstanding at both. Redhook's pub is pub-food, without much selection, but is nice for a break, and the beer is good. Try whatever is on nitro - mmmm... smooooth....

So, why not a five-star, awesome review? I basically have 5 wants in a room: Quiet, a nice shower, helpful and effective staff, good food nearby, and an interesting hotel setting. IMHO, the Willows Lodge fails on the first two. For whatever reason, this two-floor hotel was structurally designed like a cheap apartment; you can hear far more than you ever want to all day and night, and footsteps on the second floor can absolutely BOOM in your room. We stayed for 4 nights, and this was consistent every day and night we were in the room - you MUST book a 2nd floor room!

The shower is pretty to look at, and the faucet system is indeed impressive, but what a waste of space! Half the water ends up on the floor outside the shower. A 4 inch extension of the pipe, moving the shower head into the middle of the area, would change things dramatically. You then run into other, similar design weirdness, such as the light switch roulette you play every time you want a light turned on or off, and the TV remote game that has you mashing buttons like you're playing a Playstation game.

The staff were very nice, and considering the volume of people they dealt with, did an admirable job. Essentially, everything was great once we got out of the room, and dicey when we were in it, which is a shame when sometimes all you want to do is kick back and relax. Would I stay here again? Yes, if the price was right, the room was on the 2nd floor, and Chateau Ste. Michelle had a concert I wanted to see.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Skate_Like_Semenko
Reviewed July 2, 2007

Stayed this past Sunday and attended the Chris Isaak concert across the street at Chateau St. Michelle Winery. Perfect place to stay and walk over with your picnic and chairs.

Staff and bellman always friendly. This is our third stay in a year. We live close by but for concerts or dinner at the Herb Farm, we stay over night.

We booked with the "I Prefer" card on the website. Room was $195 which included breakfast. A slight mix up was quickly handled by management. Card is supposed to allow you

Room upgrade based on availability *
Priority early check-in and late check-out
Local hotel benefits providing a unique guest experience
Complimentary internet access *
Exclusive members-only offers from alliance partnerships
Receive valuable news and information via email
Access to the dedicated Members-only website

We booked the most inexpensive room and were placed in the area we usually stay, 2nd floor, away from the noise, beautiful jetted tub, great view.

Have yet to use the spa or fitness facilities, have rented the bikes ($5) and biked along the Burke-Gilman Trail. Great running trail as well.

Used room service from the Barking Frog for dessert: delicious. Ordered the Baked Rainier. Breakfast at the Barking Frog the next day was also excellent. They seemed to have changed their menu (for the better) since our last stay.

Things to be aware of...it's pet friendly. Saw several dogs roaming with their owners around the halls, grounds, and lobby area.

Lighting in the rooms is really bad. At least the rooms we've stayed in. That can definitely be improved.

Wine tasting on the deck on the grounds is enjoyable, especially in good weather.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SeattleD_7
Reviewed June 8, 2007

I have the good fortune to visit the Willows several times a year on business. Quite simply, it's one of the best hotels that I stay at... period.

First, it's in a beautiful location. Just off a great bike/jogging trail (you can rent a bike from them for next to nothing and get in your cardio workout) and next to Red Hook and Columbia/Chateau Ste Michelle wineries. When you walk into the hotel, it's warm and inviting, and sets the mood for your entire stay.

I've found the front desk staff warm and friendly. They are a bit less "corporate" than staff at, let's say, a Marriott, whch I like. However, it's not one of those pseudo-cool "W Hotel" experiences either. The feel is elegant, yet really warm and inviting. My kind of place! Make sure and ask to borrow some CDs/DVDs for your room, if the mood hits you...

The rooms are the best part. They are BIG, comfortable, and luxury all the way. Sunken tub, a great shower, a fantastic stereo system. I love it.

I only have two tiny complaints. The light switches in the room are not easy to navigate. You'll see what I mean. And, the irons in the room were incredibly cheap, and leaked water. But these two issues are not enough to not give The Willows the highest mark.

It's also a great romantic weekend retreat. The spa is top-notch, and visiting a winery or two, and exploring the area is an awesome way to spend a weekend... Check it out...
DM- Lafayette, CA

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank kdafamily
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodinville
Salish Lodge & Spa
#1 of 2 in Snoqualmie
Inn at the Market
#1 of 104 in Seattle
Belltown
The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel

Been to Willows Lodge? Share your experiences!