“Fun Horse Hotel near Winthrop”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winthrop
Chewack River Guest Ranch
Redmond, WA
“Fun Horse Hotel near Winthrop”
Reviewed September 5, 2007

We've fallen in love with the Methow Valley, and have started trying different places to stay with our horses. Over Labor Day weekend we decided to try the Chewack River Guest Ranch, which was recommended by a couple of other travelers. We were not disappointed!
We arrived late Friday night, only to run into the owner's son, Beau, who helped us get our horses into nice sized stalls in their barn. They were sharing the barn with some colts brought in for gentling and some of the Charolois cattle the Lundgrens raise on this working ranch. Horse boarding is free for guests.
We then went to our room in the guest house, which they'd left unlocked for us. We had one of the smaller rooms, but it was nicely furnished, including microwave, small fridge, and coffee maker. Outside the large hot tub was calling to us, so we had a nice soak and hit the hay.
The next morning we met Don, the owner, who drew us a map for a nice daylong ride around the property. It included one strenous but not too steep climb up the valley they sit in, a ride across some nice fields, and around well maintained forest service roads. The views were fantastic. We enjoyed the ride so much we did it the second day, on which we were lucky enough to see a black bear run by in the distance.
Because the ranch is just six miles from Winthrop, we were able to go into town for dinner one night, and to pick up fixings to grill on the gas grill available to guests. A nice firepit provided the chance to sit and chat with the other guests while sitting along side the creek that runs in front of the guest house.
We loved our stay at the Chewack River Guest Ranch, and will certainly return in the future.

• Liked — Friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — Doesn't allow dogs
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ferndale, WA
Reviewed August 5, 2005

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 1 night on July 30. All rooms were clean and appeared recently constructed. The room was also nice and cool in spite of the intense heat. The first thing we decided to do (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) is to walk 1/4 mile down to the Chewack River and take a swim - soo refreshing! The owners, Don and Kris (sp?) were also there and we talked with them for awhile - really nice people! They even let us pick apricots off their tree to bring home and eat/can.

The ranch apparently has 150 head of Charolais cattle and about 50 horses. We BBQ'd dinner at the ranch that night and went into Winthrop in the evening for some homemade ice cream at Sheri's. Watch out for deer on the road, they're all over the place here! The next day we went to Sun Mtn Lodge for breakfast then did an excellent 2 hr horseback ride at Chewack Ranch. The wrangler girl took us and 5 others up into the hills surrounding the valley. We occassionally had the horses at a trot or even a gallop, which was very exciting.

I highly recommend the Chewach River Ranch if you're staying near Winthrop!

Stayed July 2005
2 Thank born2run74
surrey, british columbia
Reviewed June 5, 2005

My wife and I spent the first weekend of June 2005 in Winthrop, Washington. This small town has been remodelled to look like a late 1800's Western town, with boardwalks and themed businesses. Less than four hours by car or motor cycle from Seattle or Vancouver, BC, Canada, the town is a great weekend destination. And if you enjoy horseback riding, you will not be disappointed, as numerous stables in the area advertise horseback riding for novices through to experts.

We found a great place 6 miles north of Winthrop on East Chewuch Road. It is called The Chewack River Guest Ranch. It is a family run operation and they take bookings or you can just drive out to the ranch like my wife and I did. They also have accomodations on site if you want the total experience. My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful two hour ride. It was just our friendly guide, my wife and I. We spent the first 45 minutes wandering along the Chewuch River. We then crossed East Chewuch Road and headed up into the foothills for another hour and a half of riding. My wife and I are intermediate level riders, and our guide allowed us to trot and gallop our horses. My wife had a well tempered quarter-horse and I rode a great registered paint horse. Both horses were well mannered and left us feeling confident as we travelled up and down mountainside trails that the horses obviously knew well. The cost, at only $40.00 per person for a two hour plus ride, was reasonable and money well spent.

We highly recommend The Chewack River Guest Ranch for horseback riding when in the Winthrop area.

10 Thank David P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winthrop
Methow River Lodge & Cabins
#3 of 7 in Winthrop
Freestone Inn
Freestone Inn
#1 of 3 in Mazama

Been to Chewack River Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!