Mt Gardner Inn
Hotel Rio Vista(Winthrop)
  • Pool
Average 3/5
  • Beachfront
All reviewspartridgeminute walkdirect tvin townpet friendly roomdefinitely stay here againarrowleaf bistrowonderful hostslovely roomcascade loopstayed longerwithin walking distancegreat place to staybed was comfortablewine glassesblues festivalpedestrian bridge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 12, 2010

We stayed at the Mt. Gardner Inn for one night. The room was great. extremely clean, in great shape. It is clear that the owners have invested in making the rooms cozy.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2010

We booked online for 2 nights stay in room 3 for July 30 & 31 and enjoyed the stay so we asked if we could book another night and we moved into one of the deluxe rooms with a nice deck for watching the sunset. We were treated to Deer 20 feet from us, Osprey soaring overhead and Vultures in a tree down the road. Both rooms we stayed in were very clean and comfortable. We met the owners at check in. Alison was very accommodating with ideas and sites for us to tour around on our Harley. We walked into town for dinner in 10 minutes.The river is across the street with people on tubes drifting by. Just a beautiful little spot that we will be sure to return too. Thank you Alison, Greg and little Keller.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Stayed for one night in July on an anti-clockwise loop of the North Cascades. I booked directly online via email and found the contact to be prompt and friendly. The price was good at £70. The directions to the Inn were good.

Check in was brief; polite and friendly, but brief, which surprised me after reading many reviews on here about the owner's hospitality - perhaps we weren't served by the owner.

We stayed in room 2 - a standard room and the only one available for our party at the time of booking - which is at the front on the left hand side. You park your car in front of the room and then it's pretty much straight on to the road - may be 25 feet between the window and the passing cars. The room was good - two double beds, small table and two chairs, TV, bathroom with external sink, microwave and coffee maker. Very tastefully decorated - neutral yet attractive. My only slight moan was there was only one small rubbish bin in the bathroom.

My biggest problem was sleeping - the bed was comfortable but maybe I got the bad side of the bed - next to the AC unit and window - I found the blinds didn't quiet keep enough light out for me and the noise of traffic - which seemed to be fairly busy quiet late (particularly the Harleys!) - so close kept me awake. Perhaps some heavy curtains needed to block the light and noise?

The main photo on the website is of the newer block of rooms - the deluxe ones - which are situated well behind the block we stayed in, some distance from the road. My tip - get one of those rooms!

Tripadvisor ratings go from Average (3 dots) to Very Good (4 dots); my stay was better than Average, but not Very Good.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank MaiseyDaisey
InncredibleWinthrop, Owner at Mt Gardner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2010

This guest stayed in a room that is close to a rural route hwy in a 25 mph speed zone. Only 2 of our 9 rooms- Room 1 & Room 2 are in this location. Most of our guests that stay in these rooms tell us that they slept well as the road is normally very quiet at night (Please see Sweet Inn Close to Town review.) There are some busy July & August weekend nights (as this guest experienced) with heavier traffic, including some Harley Davidsons. The building is well built with extra insulation. These rooms are incredibly well appointed, comfortable and clean for one of the lowest prices in Winthrop ($69 - $99.) They are intended for travelers who want a lovely room for a great value within a 1/2 mile to the quaint downtown. In actuality about 50% of the rooms within Winthrop town limits are within 50 ft of the hwy as this is a very small town. Therefore some traffic noise is to be expected at most of the hotels. We hope future travelers give these rooms a try as they are booked a combined 350 nights a year and this is our first noise complaint. For sensitive guests please try Standard rooms 3 & 4 or any of the deluxe rooms as they are far removed from any road noise. We look forward to your visit! Greg & Alison - Innkeepers

Reviewed July 23, 2010

This is my Favorite place to stay of anywhere we have been. Gary and I came to town for the Blues Festival. When Gary called for reservations we were remembered. It was so nice. Allison is so sweet, you can see her touches though out the beautiful rooms! This was our 3rd time staying with Allison and Greg but no where near our last. I look SOOOOO forward to next year (if I can wait that long). I Love sitting out on the decks watching the deer come down in the morning and then sometimes even in the evening. I have even seen Wild Tom Turkeys come down behind the hotel to munch on the neighbors apples that drop from the trees. If I ever get a chance to "run away" from home, this is where my family should look for me. So peaceful and Welcoming!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Was pleasantly surprised with this property. We had tried to book a couple other places, but they had a two-night minimum over the weekend, so we ended up here, even though it was a little more than I wanted to spend. This property is about a half-mile out of town, and almost in a residential area. Still, the view was nice, and it was very quiet.

There are only 8 rooms - four standard rooms in the main building, and four upgraded rooms in a seperate building. The standard rooms allow dogs, which I am very allergic to, so we stayed in an upgraded room. It was very nice. Had a small balcony, efficient air conditioning, a microwave, fridge, coffeemaker, a nice tv and comfy bedding. Room was very clean and well maintained.

The only weird thing is that the next morning when we needed somthing from the front desk. We went down at 8ish, but the sign said they were closed until 9, so we waited until after 9. When we went down around 10, they were still closed, but now had a sign on the door that they went to brunch and to just leave the key in the room upon check out. They did have a phone number we could have called, but it didn't seem worth it for what we needed, so we just left.

Still, it was a comfortable property, and we liked it.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple