Sun Mountain Lodge
Hotel Rio Vista(Winthrop)
Mt Gardner Inn(Winthrop)
AbbyCreek Inn(Winthrop)
  • Beachfront
All reviewspatterson lakedining roomrobinson roomshorseback ridingbar grillmain restaurantwolf creek barcombo dinnerski shophiking trailsget awaytennis courtssleigh ridegames roomjacuzzi tubeggs benedictcity life
Reviewed October 7, 2015

Wonderful staff and a beautiful site. It was expensive but worth it for a little get away.My son got married there and the wedding planning staff was so supportive and wonderful to work with. We had all the space and time needed to make this a great event.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room. 3rd time I've stayed, different spots each time.
  • Stayed: October 2015, traveled with family
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2015

It was such a pleasure to host the wedding - fabulous couple. I truly appreciated having Sun Mountain chosen for this special day. I think what helps keep us apart from others is that we work so hard to only host one wedding at a time so we can give all of the attention the couple deserve. On very rare occasion we will accept a second but only if it is very small and does not compete with the first booking.

I look forward to seeing you next time around!

Reviewed October 5, 2015

This property is amazing. Beautiful scenery everywhere you look.
We've been here a few years ago and, in comparison, this resort looks a bit tired. Painting, routine maintenance needs to be completed. It's still great, albeit a bit expensive, but could use a sprucing up!

1  Thank Paul L
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2015

Dear Paul:

Thanks for staying with us and writing. The past two years of fires and evacuations took a bit of a toll on us from which are still recovering. Finally got all the windows thoroughly washed and we are now working on the building exteriors ensuring soot, etc is removed. We close our doors for three weeks starting November 1st and we will be whipping out the paint brushes, scrubbing walls, cleaning carpets and all manner of upkeep things to bring us back up. Give us a shot again and you will see a marked difference.

Best wishes,

Reviewed October 3, 2015

We spent a week touring the North Cascades and after a couple of nights in Leavenworth, our next stop was the Sun Mountain Lodge. We stayed in one of the Gardener rooms just beside the main lodge building and overall had a wonderful stay.

First the niggles - and don't forget to read the praise further down!

For a location set in some stunning wilderness, it was a huge shame that sitting out on the deck by the bar sipping a rather fine margarita watching the sun go down was marred by the excessively loud whirr of the extraction fan system (or perhaps a large A/C unit, I didn't investigate extensively). When you're staying in the middle of nowhere, it's really nice to be able to hear the silence, and it was disappointing that this seemingly constant noise was drowning said silence out. This lack of silence was unfortunately also evident in the room itself - firstly from the loud fridge (which thankfully could be turned off) and secondly from the air-con / heating unit which seemingly had no 'off'' option that we could find. Don't get me wrong, it's actually a very quiet system and in any other hotel, you wouldn't think twice about it, but it meant the nights were far from truly silent and I thought this was a shame.

That aside, the Gardener room was fantastic. Huge bed, one of the most comfortable we slept in, and a great space with room for a sofa, armchair and of course the patio doors to the outside balcony with seating area and magnificent views. The bathroom was equally great, apart from having a narrow step outside the bath that we both managed to either trip over or fall from! For the chilly evenings, there is a great built in gas fire with a neat countdown timer as a safety feature so you can't leave it on all night by mistake - nice touch and lovely flames. During our stay, we were greeted by a family of deer sleeping just by our balcony each morning - very tame and friendly.

We loved the room.

Activity wise, we were only here for 2 days, so opted for a short hike around the trails that start right from the lodge. Beautiful! We did a circular tour on a number of trails that perhaps amounted to a short 5 mile hike and had the most wonderful views of the area. From prairie style hills to forest walks and lakeside views, the hike was varied, well marked and broadly flat or on moderate inclines - perfect for the not so adventurous hikers like us. The great weather helped of course, but one week back home and it remains as one of the memorable days of our trip.

Food wise we ate in the Bistro on both nights largely because we failed to find the centre of Winthrop due to a complete navigation failure on my part when we took the west twin lakes fork rather than the east fork my directions were planned for. The west fork is the faster, but brings you into Winthrop a different way, so we left with a rather disappointing opinion of a town containing a hardware store and a supermarket until we spotted the error of our ways back at the lodge - ooops! As we discovered on our final morning, the town itself is lovely and has a variety of great shops and eateries - so do plan your directions better than I did!

Anyway, back to the Bistro. It was ... OK. I've read some of the other comments about lack of staff following the fires and am completely sympathetic with that - the fires were a huge concern this year and several local fire-fighters lost their lives, so one can well understand the impact to the local economy and we're just happy that the lodge had indeed re-opened. The food wasn't anything special, and perhaps an increased range of slightly lighter options might be a good idea, but we didn't starve and had an enjoyable stay - and in the light of the events this fall, it would be unfair to complain.

There was a free comedy evening on our second night ... unfortunately he was really bad, but hey, it was free and we weren't forced to stay (alas my girlfriend thought it would be too rude to leave half way, so we endured the entire set). Perhaps it just highlighted that the US and UK really are 2 nations divided by a common language - or perhaps we were a bit young compared to the rest of the somewhat elderly audience - or perhaps he was just really bad! It was nice to have the option of an event to go to though, so that's another plus for the lodge.

The trip we planned took in Seattle, Leavenworth, Winthrop and Anacortes, and for anyone repeating a similar route, I'd highly recommend a stay at the Sun Mountain Lodge as a wonderful retreat and a contrast to the other locations.

Room Tip: Gardener rooms on the top have lovely views
1  Thank archipenko
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2015

Thanks so much for the lovely review! During the construction phases of the lodge and other buildings we did recognize that sound could be a bit of a problem. We hired one of the top experts in the field who told us the only solution would be to add white noise to the rooms, etc. In fact he had us put our hands in our pockets and withdraw them, explaining that usually one does not hear the fabric but in our case, one does. We decided to not add noise into the spaces.

I'm so very pleased you enjoyed the comfort of the bed (we had them constructed for us in Spokane, WA) and found the great pleasure of our trails!

I think I made a mistake in the comedy night. Did not turn out as well as I hoped and will not be repeated.

Thank you for coming all this way and staying with us - hope to see you again.

Kind regards,

Reviewed September 28, 2015

Sun Mountain Lodge has a breathtaking site overlooking the Methow River Valley. The property is so substantial that there are several very nice hiking trails right on the grounds, although there is excellent hiking in this whole area. We have stayed at the Lodge on three occasion, most recently this month for my wife's birthday.

The fine dining restaurant is a must, and was at its very best during our stay. It has the 'expected' offerings and specials which are unusual (like the Elk Meatloaf and the nice Salmon preparations we ordered). Soups are home-made with the Beet with Crème Fraiche being my favorite. For desserts, there are many choices but I would unhesitatingly recommend the Crème Brule.

Rooms are well-sized and comfortable. This is also a good value, especially in the early Autumn when the weather is spectacular, but there are so many fewer people and campers on the roads.

The Lodge has many features we did not use -- stables and horses, for example or the conferencing facilities. It is a great choice with children, as well, with just enough 'Western' to captivate their imaginations, but with pampering for all ...

Dear NedMorgan:

I greatly appreciate you chose to stay with us for your wife's birthday - and the lovely comments.

Thanks so much!

Reviewed September 28, 2015

We recently stayed at Sun Mountain Lodge on September 3rd and 4th and had two less than satisfying experiences during our stay with you that I think should be shared with you.

Firstly, our experience in the dining room was less than hoped for. I’ll try to summarize the not so good points.

We arrived for our reservation on time, were greeted warmly and showed to our table by Don Elsing who let us know he could help with choosing a wine. After placing our orders for both appetizers and entrees I asked if he could recommend a white wine with oak and buttery notes, we agreed on a price-point and he responded that he would find a wine that would match our request. After a short time our wine was served. It was warm as well as devoid of any buttery notes or oak as requested; a fact that Don admitted to when he checked to see how we were enjoying the wine. Placed on ice I hoped the cooling would bring out the requested characters but sadly it did not. We didn’t finish the bottle but took it to our room as suggested however, we did not consume anymore and left it in the room when we departed.

The foods we ordered were a Caesar salad and the mushroom strudel to start, and a chicken breast entree as well as a Cobb salad. The Caesar salad was devoid of dressing and very bland, lacking body and flavour on all fronts. In fairness, the mushroom strudel was an excellent choice, was presented nicely and was hot and flavorful. The two entrees however fell flat; the chicken that accompanied both entrees was so salty we could only manage small bites and returned the plates only partially consumed. I realize this was the first day the hotel was open after the fire evacuation and therefore the kitchen may have been under provisioned.

I could go on but the main reason for this letter is to let you know how bad the final night of our stay was in the hotel.

Shortly after retiring for the evening we were woken by a heated argument outside in the hallway. The shouting lasted a few minutes and we fell asleep only to be woken up by someone knocking on our door. Using the peephole, I could see two middle-aged fellows without visible identification and I didn’t answer the door. I could hear them knocking on several other doors for the next few minutes. After falling asleep again we awoke for a second time to another argument and much door slamming. If a number was affixed to the times a door slammed, I’ll bet it was about 30-40. Falling back to sleep for a couple of hours we were again woken to an argument outside our door followed by what I thought to be a knock at the door but it turned out to be two boys playing soccer in the hallway. At this point I just stayed

awake because further sleep was impossible. Please tell me there is security personnel on staff and that somehow the nightlong melee escaped detection. We left tired and un-rested as a result of the actions of other guests.

It is with sincerity that I hope this letter will inspire actions that will keep in check the quality and reputation of Sun Mountain Lodge. As an aside, we were offered a fifty dollar discount at check-out as a goodwill gesture for the second less than restful night’s stay, but frankly I was so weary that I declined the offer. It should also be said that the overall quality of service was excellent and we hope to someday return.

1  Thank dedubber
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2015

Hello dedubber:

Thanks so much for writing. It seems you have written before but I have no memory of it. Either my brain is becoming addled or your message did not get to me!

I was surprised to hear Don steered you wrong and did not handle the situation. He knows better and I will see him shortly.

The food quality hit a nasty bump after we came back on line. We were evacuated August 19 and did not come back on line until September 3rd - unfortunately not all of our staff returned. We are a seasonal resort and rely upon receiving staff from other areas on America and Europe. We simply lost a few key people. I am glad to report that we have taken measures to correct this situation and things have come back to normal!.

All I can suggest when someone bangs on your door or otherwise is being a nuisance, here or elsewhere, is to immediately contact the switchboard or front desk and ask for assistance. It will be taken care of.

I would greatly appreciate it if you will give either my or my assistant, Deb a call at 509-996-2211 so we can have you come back - I owe you a good night's sleep, some good food and replacement bottle of wine!

Kind regards,