“Don't come here” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Winthrop
Seattle, Washington
“Don't come here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

The hotel: poor Internet. At night you got the 'too many people already logged in' message and couldn't use the wi-if at all. Let along to say no TV.

The fine dining room: The food is sub-bar for the price. The 4-diamond aaa rating is a joke. The waiter, Joshua, was slow and charged us $50 more on the bill. Mistake? I don't think so. Told the manager and he didn't even apologize.

Breakfast: have to wait for 30 mins to be seated.

The room: stopper in the tub isn't working. Had to change room at 10pm at night.

Service: most staff isn't friendly. A lot of rednecks.

Hate this hotel. Will never come back. Stay away from it if you could.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mimi F
BrianCharlton, Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
We regret that your experience did not meet your expectations. At Sun Mountain Lodge we are committed to providing the best guest experience possible. We pride ourselves on presenting our guests with a peaceful escape that disconnects them from an influx of technology and reconnects them with family and nature. We would like to follow up with you personally to address your concerns.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

This has all the charm of a Colorado, Wyoming mountain lodge used as a scene in a John Wayne movie. And, it's in the heart of the Pacific Northwest and off one of the most beautiful drives - the North Cascade Loop. This place was a pleasant and luxurious surprise. Their restaurants has beautiful views and there are fabulous trails all around the lodge that in the winter turn into cross-country ski trails. The town of Winthrop is a charming if not campy western-style, old mining town with cute shops, general store and restaurants.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PugetSoundGirl
Chelan, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Great time in the mountains. The rooms were very nice, the hike was wonderful, great views and many levels of difficulty. Breakfast was delicious. The staff was very attentive. Would stay there again!

Room Tip: The lodge is very nice and convenient to all the amenities.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

We spent Oct. 4 thru 8 at the Lodge, in the Robinson Mt. building. When we booked, we wanted an upper floor room, for the view. These rooms are more expensive, but it's what we wanted. We were unable to book an upper floor room for the first two days, so we took lower floor, and moved on the 3rd day. The lower floor room was nice, spacious, comfortable reading chairs, but the lamp was defective. After we switched lightbulbs with another lamp, we realized this. The maintainance people tried to tell us we weren't using the sliding switch correctly, and it took a couple of hours for someone to come look at it, only to find out that it was indeed defective, and was causing the breaker to flip. No extra lamps available, so maintainance "fixed" the wiring, and returned it. It blew again. Not very safe, if you ask me. We dropped off our keys on moving day at 9am, stating we were going to watch the Seahawks in the bar, and would collect the new keys when it was over. We were told the room wasn't ready, and when we asked when it would be, it seemed a big imposition. Front desk contacted housekeeping, who "didn't know". I mentioned we were essentially "homeless", and would really like an estimate. I would assume that existing guests would get priority in the room cleaning schedule, but apparently not. With a sigh, we were told "maybe a couple of hours".We finally got in to the new room at around 4pm, and it was directly above the room we had, so the view was not much different, and I was disapointed that it cost more for a room upstairs, when the layout was not as good, shower small and cramped and dated, no shampoo or conditioner or soap, the garbage had not been emptied from the last occupants, and there was a large dead beetle on the floor that remained there the entire 2 days we were in that room. There is a mini bar in the room, but we didn't use it, as the tiny bottles of wine were 27 dollars each. Wow.

The food in the Wolf Creek Bar and Grill was at best, ok. I could have gotten as good at any place in Winthrop, and did, for the most part. We did not eat in the fine dining restaurant, as we were afraid it would not be what we were expecting, and at the price, didn't want to be disapointed again.The breakfast buffet available weekend mornings was good when it was an omlette bar, but the following day, the eggs benedict was sub par, english muffins were so hard you couldn't cut them, eggs cold, hollandaise sauce flavorless. We really expected better. The drinks were hit and miss, Margarita too strong to drink, Death by Chocolate w/coffee was very good.

Found the service in general lacking, no one to hold the door, no bell boy service, no one seemed to care enough to ask how our stay was going. No room service, which was a big flaw in my opinion. Yes, it's off season now, but if they are going to promote "Fall Color Packages", and a "Local's Special", I would assume that would be a service they would continue. Nothing special done for our 34th anniversary, in our travels, most upscale hotels and resorts at the very least puts a small bouquet of flowers in the room, and often a complimentary bottle of wine or champagne, chocolates, or something similar. Not even a congratulatory card, and we did mention it was our anniversary when we booked. We regularly stay at a resort in Mexico that fills the jetted hot tub in the room with bubbles and rose petals, and leaves a chilled bottle of champagne in the room, turns on romantic music, and leaves a fruit and chocolate plate. I was not expecting all of that, but any of the above would have been appreciated.

The grounds are beautiful, well kept, with an abundance of hiking and biking trails, and the scenery and surroundings are stunning. This Lodge just falls flat in so many areas that it seems the location is the only solid plus here. I believe we will be going elsewhere for our 35th anniversary, and I honestly don't see us returning here again. It was ok, but for the prices, ok just doesn't cut it. We expect to spend a good deal of money for what we want, but spending a good deal of money and not recieving what we expect makes for a one time stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank luvubeach
Fox Island, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

I had no idea what to expect when I arrived. What a neat place tucked deep in the woods at the top of a Mountain. Very nice clean room, clean pool, Fantastic grounds to walk around. Lodge describes this much better than Hotel. The view from everywhere was breathtaking, you are on the top of a Mountain. The Lodge Staff was Great and I felt they were very relaxed. It made me relax and we can all use a little more of that. The wifi worked great for me. I have both a Verizon and AT&T cell phone. I found a place in the parking lot I could talk on my Verizon phone and I could send and receive text messages on both phones. Cell service is lacking. I stay at a lot of hotels all over the world and I felt like I was getting the better deal. I don't know how they make any money, my guess is they lose money but I hear the hotel is owned by a Billionaire so maybe it's a write-off.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Main Hotel on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool. I felt my room was much nicer than...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

The resort and surrounding 3000 acres are the pet project of a German Billionaire Ervian Haub. He spent $50 million renovating this incredible place. One can google the interesting story. Rooms are well appointed and the beds and linens are very comfy. The bathroom and tub is very nice.

• Stayed September 2013
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

The location of this resort is breathtaking & there are many activities right on the property as well as the surrounding area. That said, this is a "Ritz in the mountains", beautifully appointed but with a rather impersonal feel, and in our opinion, not really in keeping with its surroundings. The luxe mountain look is a little overdone. Beyond that, the heating/AC system in our room was extremely intrusive; awake at 4 AM, I tried looking out the window, where the stars were spectacular - except for the ambient light of the walkways & pool area (I know - for safety reasons, this has to be - but still...maybe dim them a bit?). The bar/pub area was super crowded & the waitstaff harried. It took a long time for our order to be taken & even longer to arrive. I am guessing due to overpricing, the casual dining is way more popular than the formal dining room. While I'm sure many people would enjoy Sun Mountain a great deal, it just wasn't for us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Templetons911
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winthrop
Mt Gardner Inn
#7 of 8 in Winthrop
Freestone Inn
Freestone Inn
#1 of 3 in Mazama

Been to Sun Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!