“Terrific Place”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Winthrop
Surrey, Canada
“Terrific Place”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife & I stayed here for a couple of nights last week taking advantage of a promotion before summer's end. We had always wanted to stay here previously & it was a wonderful experience. The place is first class with such a variety of things to do while enjoying the location & the beautiful sites of the area from the top of the mountain. The breakfast which was included was excellent with the serving staff doing a fine job too. We ate dinner in the bar/grill which was fine for us but they have a very fine dining room for those wishing something more elaborate. We stayed in the garden block area & our room featured a king bed & fireplace with a great view from our private balcony. The Lodge has a great web site to check out things in more detail. Winthrop is about a 10 mile drive from the Lodge & the town has an western theme throughout the main streets. Should we be visiting the area again the Lodge will be our first choice of a place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Mukilteo, Washington
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Incredible mountain view, rustic atmosphere, and friendly service made our weekend retreat here quite extraordinary. You feel as though you are stepping back in time. I did not even miss not having the TV in the room as this place had so much to offer.

We took advantage of the off season rates and had a little extra cash to splurge. If you want an old west experience the little town of Winthrop will fit that bill.

We do definitely want to come back to experience the great outdoor amenities in the spring and summer. Hiking, horse back riding, fishing, rafting and much more. For now the late fall ambiance served our needs well. This is a great place to unwind. This a must stay if you have the time to get there. It's about a 4 1/2 hour drive from Seattle but worth the time it takes to travel by car as some of the states most spectacular scenery awaits you. Can't wait to visit the Sun Mountain Lodge again soon.

• Stayed November 2012
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I'm in the travel biz and I keep coming back to this place. The location cannot be beat with an incredible view all around. My work has allowed me to traverse the globe but there is something peaceful about Sun Mountain Lodge. 15 years ago, a friend suggested we come here and I am so grateful! Perhaps it reminds me of the few years I spent in Montana with nature all around, small animals skittering about and last I counted, 47 deer on the drive up to the top of the resort. My husband and I bring our boys and there is virtually no television and spotty internet service for our iPhones. Bliss. The kids met other kids in the game room, sat in the hot tubs during a rain storm and walked down the trail to pet the horses and even golfed at the local course. The fun part of this resort is meeting people because you have to turn your devices off! I had a very relaxing spa experience that I'd recommend to others. We dined for breakfast and had dinner in the casual part of the restaurant and food was good. The wait for breakfast was over an hour, so that is too long with younger kids but overall, a good experience. Our room was in the main lodge with a terrific view and spotlessly clean. It is not renovated and could use upgrades but the price was commensurate with the room. Had I wanted an elegant and renovated room, I would have expected to pay for it in their high season. I find this is an understanding often missed by travelers. Staff were kind, professional and helpful. If I could change one thing, it would be the coffee. I am not a fan of Starbucks but I'd love to see Stumptown or Caffe Vita or some other really great coffee being offered here. Really, that is being picky. We had an incredible visit and look forward to next year! Thank you Sun Mountain Lodge for another peaceful, beautiful stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lucy32
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
I greatly appreciate your kind review! Good news - we are putting in new beds and coverings this autumn. New curtains were hung in 2012. I do apologise for the long wait at breakfast. I'm handling that issue with the Food and Beverage Director and it will fixed very soon.

Kind regards,

Brian
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We were intrigued by a Living Social deal, and are so glad we found this place. Visited with two 12 year old boys, and although we had some rain and thunderstorms in late August, we all had a great time. The bar/grill, while slightly overpriced, was just fine, as was the breakfast in the dining room. We absolutely loved the horseback ride to breakfast (though would have preferred the dinner excursion, but was unfortunately booked for the evening). The boys loved the pool tables and ping pong, as well as the pools and hot tubs. All the staff were welcoming, from the front desk, activity desk, wait staff, maids. We had fun with board games (available from the front desk), and were easily accommodated when one of our mountain bikes was not ready to roll- the activity desk had mountain bikes ready to rent for a nominal fee, and the four of us had a wonderful time on >13 miles of trail in one morning, Truly magical!

Room Tip: We upgraded to the Gardner rooms.....fireplace!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Had a lovely one night stay with a girlfriend/Mom getaway. Trip booked six months ago. Two pedicures booked at the same time. Some confusion occurred around the pedicures and they were unable to do the treatments. The GM Brian rose to the occasion. The pedicures were rescheduled immediately for the next morning Brian met us at the spa with a lovely bottle of wine and a fruit and truffle plate. Thank you Brian.!! Great afternoon at the pub....super service and fun drinks. The activities staff was excellent and the hikes they suggested were spot on. The gift shop is terrific full of interesting and tasteful items....all in all great time. Looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 28, 2013

First time to Sun Mountain Lodge. We had a lovely, quiet room. The property is very nice. Breakfast was included each day with our package and we liked how you could choose off the menu. Food was prepared well. We will return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Marysville, Washington
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My family has great memories from Sun Mountain Lodge:
2005 - Bought our kids and snowshoed. Yummy dinner & kids made a fort with cushions from bed. Our daughter went out to the hot tub while it was snowing = magical.
2008 - Family stayed again and skied at nearby Loup-Loup =fun.
2012 - My husband and I stayed for our 20th anniversary and they upgraded our room. The breakfasts were complimentary/wonderful and dinner was outstanding! = retreat.
2013 - Spring: Brought the family again with a reluctant teenager in tow. I told him the ice cream alone was worth the drive. He agreed and was smiling by the end of the day. Excellent service in the sport shop when renting a mountain bike = culinary treat.
Fall: We are returning with another couple = looking forward to it!

Room Tip: Our family of four slept comfortably. Twice we've had the lodge rooms with a king bed and 2 twin...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winthrop
Mt Gardner Inn
#1 of 3 in Mazama
River Run Inn
River Run Inn
#1 of 10 in Winthrop

Been to Sun Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!